1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Colin Cowherd thinks the Steelers are a top 5 roster

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 11, 2024.

1. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    The bottom line; the Steelers haven't won anything without a top 10 or even top 5 defense. It's how they get to SBs. It's how they win SBs.
    Paying an offense just so they can match what other teams are doing isn't going to help them win another championship. Rooney understands this.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't think Dak is going to cost 65 million. But we could afford him if we wanted to... We wont know until the deal is signed, but if Dak hits FA I think we'd be dumb to not at least check it out. And yeah, the cheapest starting QB price is Geno Smith (pretty good deal at 25 million a year) and Baker is at 33 (which is probably where we'd be looking if one of our QB's plays solid and the team does well. That is fine. It is still less than most teams are paying their QB.

With what looks like nearly 100 million to spend, we can afford to think big for a change. Even if its Wilson at 2 years 35 million a year... We'd still be able to extend Freiermuth and Pickens and also go get someone like Higgins (and have cash to spare)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    It's not just a "Steeler" thing, it is really the trend in the league if you look. Dating back to 2000, it is easy to see why.

2000-2005 - SB winners dominated by elite defenses
    2006-2012 - all over the place. Brees and P. Manning won with dominant offenses and bad defenses. Eli won twice with highly mediocre teams across the board. The Ravens won with a balanced team. The Steelers and Packers won theirs on the backs of dominant defenses.
    2013-Current - Well rounded teams win it all. Only the Rams (2021) and Chiefs (2022) won it all with defenses not in the top 8 in the league (15th and 16th ranked respectively). Conversely, only 2 teams won it all with offenses ranked outside the top 10 in that same span (2015 Broncos, 2023 Chiefs)

It is hard to win it all without a good defense. More teams have won with Mediocre offense and great defense than have won it all with great offense and mediocre defense. I don't know why the narrative is that you have to be the big boy spenders on the offense only? Kinda goes against what actually wins, and that is having a well rounded team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Why would the Steelers be interested in Dak at 50-60 million a year?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I'd imagine that it would be because we think our roster is good enough to win it all with Dak as our QB? Thought that would be pretty obvious... Couple that with the fact that we would easily be able to afford it. It kinda just makes sense. I'd honestly be shocked if we weren't heavily interested in Dak if he hits the market.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Why do people believe the Cowboys will let Dak walk?!

Barring a cataclysmic meltdown of epic proportions, Jerry needs the likes of Dak to put butts in seats to sell massive amounts of tickets, merchandise and appareal for the Cowboys. Jerrys legendary quote of "paying any amount to win a Super Bowl" is nothing more than his usual cache of marekting tactics to win over Cowboys Fans into believing that the team will win it all.

That all said, what of Micah?! Cannot let him walk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    We have the talent, just depends on if tomlin and his coaches can get them to play to their potential.

Biggest unknown is Wilson of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
  9. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    There are rumors that Jerrah Jones will trade away his entire team and his house to draft Quinn Ewers. Homegrown Texas boy playing in the Big D.... Jones is already imagining the headlines.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    We will live or die with Wilson (the Russell one)

If he can at least be a mediocre game manager we will should be better than last year

11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Rooney doesn't understand much regarding the Steelers, this current Rooney, that is

12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

because that is what the market bears / will bear come 2025 for a top 5-7 QB in this league. i see him in that 5-7 area

Desperate times WILL require desperate measure.

13. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I really can’t explain how we finished 10-7 last year..improved in the off season…and are now thought to go 7-10.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

15. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    The biggest unknown is tomlins assistant coaches hiring. His track record of hiring below average assistant oaches is the reason for the decline, in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Man, with facts like these, I am going to have to edit my score prediction. What is Tomlin's record vs. rookie head coaches, again?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    That’s exactly what i was thinking.

18. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well, it probably has something to do with the fact that they just paid CeeDee Lamb, will have to pay Parsons and would have to use the entirety of the rest of their cap space to keep Dak around. Could they make it work? Absolutely. But if Dak fails to win in the playoffs again in 2024 they could look to the draft where a Texas kid in Ewers will be available as well as Deion Sanders' kid.... Both of those will bring PLENTY of hype (particularly Shedeur Sanders) and satisfy the tickets/merch problem while still affording them an opportunity to chase the SB. They might spend in FA instead of on Dak and try to win it all with a QB on a rookie deal instead of having a top paid QB. I'm not saying it is 100%, but it isn't an unlikely scenario either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Didn't know Falcons had a rookie Head Coach. I may have to change mine too.

20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Oops! My mistake. Morris was Tampa Bay's HC for awhile. I thought Robinson, the OC was the HC. I forgot about the forgettable Raheem Morris.

• Like Like x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Mind you I did say barring a cataclysmic meltdown for a reason. In a much weaker QB Class, the likes of Shedeur and Carson will both be among the top consensus Draft Picks. As such, quite a lot of horrible has to happen for Dallas to even entertain that idea on its own.

Now, should that happen?! More than likely Dak will he jettisoned. If not, expect the Cowboys to pay Dak first.

22. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    True, both should be high picks, but I would imagine that Jerry would be willing to trade a lot to get up there. I certainly don't think Dallas will be bad enough to be in prime draft position to land either of them on their own pick. But they could get into the top 10 pretty easily by packaging their first two picks in 2025 with a 2026 pick. We got from 20 to 10 with a first, second, and following year third to get Bush... 25 to 5 could be a first, second, and following year first. That would be plenty high enough to land Sanders, as I'd expect Deion to instruct Shedeur to publicly state he will refuse to go anywhere but Dallas in this scenario (I think they've already mentioned having "preferred destinations" or something like that).

As for being jettisoned... why would they sign him and trade him? Dak probably wouldn't sign with Dallas and then be open to letting them choose where he goes... He would want the autonomy to negotiate his own deal and choose which team he wants to play for. I'd imagine he'd outright refuse to do a sign and trade (I would if I were him).

Dak will either re-sign or be allowed to test FA. If the latter comes to pass, I'd 100% expect us to be serious players in the conversation.

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Well, Dak hasn't done much with Dallas in the playoffs certainly not enough to pay him that kind of money.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Because if they wanted to keep Dak they probably would've signed him long term by now, can they afford to pay Micah and Dak next offseason?

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Winner. I don't hate Dak. I think He is about somewhere in the top 10 to the middle of the pack, but We have seen Him with the best Rb in the league at one time, and the best OL. I have yet to see Him on a weak team. That Dallas team has been stacked, and yet.........Nothing.