1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Colin Cowherd thinks the Steelers are a top 5 roster

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 11, 2024.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think it has the ability to be very good if they put it together. young but faster and with a plan. new coaching. the possibilities are there. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I am soooo sick of not knowing “who we are”.

They need to settle this QB situation because until some other group on this team mutates and takes over (which rarely happens) the QB identity is what really matters 99.9% of the time.

We have two these guys on 1 year deals and very different questions about both. How does each get a fair chance see which direction will be best going forward? I’m not confident in the evaluation of Tomlin and his staff to figure this out to its max potential. Omar and company more.

Then we start next year with more QB questions. Or draft another guy who will likely take two years at a minimum for a full eval and identity to take hold.
    Ruining TJ’s career.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Now I'm worried.

seriously i think top 5 is pushing it. I think we will get into the playoffs as a WC and maybe win a playoff game for a change.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm definitely a Tomlin critic... but Cowherd goes over the top with head coaches with a defensive background. He says Steelers draft well, have a good roster... but can't get the O-line and QB right. Tomlin and Steelers are doomed to failure because they spend too much money on defense. :facepalm: Cowherd bashed the Queen signing. But yet... he gushes over DeMeco Ryans in Houston. :rolleyes: Texans struck gold with Stroud. Congratulations to them. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. LoneHorseman

LoneHorseman Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I agree with Cowherd an if somehow we cut Dan Moore, Lombardi Trophy is ours

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The defense were the strongest unit of the chiefs,start to finish last year!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Which only further fuels Colin's agenda of Offensive vs Defensive minded Head Coaches. If anything, Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan both being the two reps from each conference and both having excellent defenses allows him to reinforce his flawed points. This upcoming year is going to give Colin even more ammo. Which teams?!

Detroit, Minnesota, Philadelphia (though their past three drafts have been incredible anyways), Los Angeles Chargers (even though many of those players have already been there), Los Angeles Rams and Indianapolis. What do all of these teams have in common?! That answer is simple.

Offensive Minded Head Coaches.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Top 5?! Strongly disagree there. I can see the Steelers being a Top 10 Roster.... at best. Currently though?! It all depends on how the QB Situation plays out.

Teams that possess a Top 5 Roster have zero questions about the QB. Pittsburgh has one too many.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If only the Steelers drafted Rattler, then their QB situation would be settled :rolleyes:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Steelers have a top ten roster.

• Like Like x 2
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    injuries play such a big deal in every year. we won 10 games with bad qb play, lost our 2 starting ILB'ers, cam wasn't at full strength, TJ toward the end and a firing of the OC. i think this team on paper is much better at this point. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You forgot all the safeties we went through.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers do not have a top 5 roster at this point... even on paper. WR, CB and D-line are big question marks. I believe Steelers will be good at QB and O-line.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

an idiot and a fool, always.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yes - for sure.

NOTHING PRE-SEASON and roster this and that matter.

#GAMES-MATTER

• Like Like x 1
  16. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, if you think that I said anything like that then you must be reading cross eyed.

I wanted them to build the foundation of this team the next draft after Ben was gone - meaning trenches. Using the old Parcells philosophy of you either get a QB or guys to protect your QB or guys to attack the QB. There weren’t great QB options for us where we we have been drafting. So build a rock solid base and then go get your guy when you can.

Wilson and Fields seem like just some guys who fell into them and it’s rather messy. Wilson’s TD last year have supposedly been a lot of garbage time stuff.

I feel great about where we are finally heading, but not confident where I think we are at. Lots of that is due to the happhazzard seemingly assembled coaching staff.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dude I was joking, that's why it's in green font :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

happhazzard?

https://www.steelers.com/team/coaches-roster/

:hmmm:

better than last year i believe.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Im lost on this whole green font thing. Is that what it’s about? Jokes and sarcasm.

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Not sure who it was, but one member repeatedly during the run up to the draft kept pushing for Spencer Rattler, as early as the first round. It got to the point I asked if the poster was secretly Spencer's mother. If you search spencer rattler, I'm sure you can find the thread.

21. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I’m not really seeing what you seem to be seeing. an old shoe would have been an upgrade over Canada.
    i’m not very psyched on what I know about Arthur Smith and the accomplishments of his last two employment positions. The rest of the staff leaves me with inertia.

We’ve had the highest paid for a couple years and only had moderate results minus TJ Watt. Imagine if he wasn’t on the team. We had two lineman who we didn’t think very much of under our tutelage and schemes, and they went and found much much greater success with different coaching staffs.

I could go on and on nit picking And sound like a Steelers hater when I am not, and quite the opposite. I’m just accustomed to feeling much better about the coaching staff about five years ago and beyond for the last couple decades.

Last edited: May 16, 2024
  22. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

first off the two linemen you speak of may have played better elsewhere but doesn't mean they were a good fit here. smith was a head coach that comes with a lot of other duties besides just running the offense. now he doesn't have those other distractions to worry about. he did well in tennessee. we had 3rd and 4th round draft picks on the line until now. we shall see if these more athletic players fit better together.

as for the defense, you do realize all the injuries we had last year plus suspensions, plus aged players that shouldn't have still been on the field full time. our good linebacking corp was decimated. we were down to practice squad players manning the secondary. coaches can only do so much with what they have to work with and on short notice to boot.

sure we all want the 70's to return in a year or two of draft picks but the league has changed a lot since then. players don't stay. players aren't with the same team for their whole careers to be brought along like back then.

i think they have done a good job of trying to upgrade coaching. they had never fired a coordinator mid season until last year. hopefully the light has gone on for MT a little more. they chit canned the entire qb room. got rid of dead weight on the o-line. got rid of a WR that wasn't taking that next step. looking to get younger at RB and not paying for a guy that isn't really stepping up beyond where he was when he got here. it all can't happen in one year. things are beginning to change, but will take time. there is a fine line between keeping a solid core and blowing the whole thing up. :cool:

24. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Colin Cowherd and Jason McIntyre need to stick to sports talk. Their opinions on pop culture... movies, music, etc... are total and absolute feces.

25. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    He also said that with our end of year schedule, Mike Tomlin will be announcing games next year.