1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Colin Cowherd Saying Tomlin is hurting Steelers..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Nafsteelers, Oct 26, 2016.

1. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    How many teams have the myriad issues the Steelers have had under Tomlin? Ben, Skippy, Ced Wilson, Deebo, Ta'amu, Santonio, Bryant, Bell...that's just off the field. Blount and Eli had discipline issues, celebration penalties out the wazoo with the coach actually encouraging them, Peezy joining in for chrissakes, up and down play every year, Peezy starting **** on the field in a playoff game.

Immature. Inconsisten. Not buttoned up. We're essentially the New Bengals.

Except to homers like you, of course...we're just like every other team.

[​IMG]

2. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I'm glad you asked. This information is easily available. I'm happy to disprove your case and highlight your laziness.

# of players suspended since 2008:
    Washington Redskins 19
    New York Giants 14
    Denver Broncos 14
    Cleveland Browns 13
    New York Jets 12
    Carolina Panthers 12
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers 12
    Dallas Cowboys 11
    Baltimore Ravens 11
    Indianapolis Colts 11
    Seattle Seahawks 10
    Minnesota Vikings 10
    St. Louis Rams 10
    Cincinnati Bengals 9
    New England Patriots 9
    Chicago Bears 9
    Kansas City Chiefs 9
    Buffalo Bills 8
    Miami Dolphins 8
    Pittsburgh Steelers 8
    San Diego Chargers 7
    Green Bay Packers 7
    San Francisco 49ers 7
    Jacksonville Jaguars 6
    Tennessee Titans 6
    Arizona Cardinals 6
    Detroit Lions 6
    New Orleans Saints 6
    Oakland Raiders 5
    Atlanta Falcons 5
    Houston Texans 4
    Philadelphia Eagles 4

3. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    You focussed on one element (suspensions) and ignored all of the other problems the Steelers have had under Tomlin.

Because you have no answer for them.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Only nerds button the top

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I am not a fan of Cowherd's, and the comparison to Alabama is utterly stupid--how'd Saban do in Miami???

But overall, he's right on the mark.

What the record against sub-.500 teams doesn't tell us is the number of games against bad teams in which the Steelers struggled mightily just to pull out a win. Is a W a W? No. If you have to expose too many of your starters and too much of your playbook to beat a 1-7 team, that's not a W in the long run.

6. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Good luck trying to get people to agree on what wins are struggles, and which teams are bad enough (other than the Browns).

You've got a group of fans who insist that the Steelers are one of the worst teams at drafting talent.
    They get to argue with the fans who are upset when the Steelers lose because of how much talent the team has.

7. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Mike Tomlin definitely not perfect and of course he's had his share of issues just like the rest of the coaches in the NFL. I think we as fan focus on "Tomlin's" errors more because we follow the team. I'm sure if we dedicated as much time as we do following Steelers news, attending training camp, message boards, podcasts etc. with another team we would see some of same issues.

It's highlighted even more when Tomlin goes against probably the greatest coach of all time. We want him to be as detailed and cerebral at Belicheat. But he's not and very few if any coaches are.

I totally disagree that we are anything like the Bengals and Marvin Lewis. Because as you seen or heard Tomlin disciplines his players. (Eli Rogers). If they speak out of turn (Mendenhall) he responds. But he does give his veteran players some latitude. Brown flipping in the endzone, Ben saying the practices are too physical.

Marvin Lewis is sorry for what he let his players do in the playoff game and not holding them accountable. And then coming to the defense of Burfict when he went low on a player and stomping on another. Inexcusable.

Bottom line: Tomlin has his faults and he frustrated me to the breaking point last week challenging the catch of Gronkowski, kicking the 54 yd field goal, and his lack of time management skills. But how many coaches can say they never had a losing season in 10 years? Some of them felt like it but the numbers speak differently. But we as steelers fans are Super Bowl or nothing and that's a pretty high standard. My question if we fired Tomlin today how long would he be unemployed? I would say a few hours. Another, who would you replace him with? There is not a coach I would want in the NFL to take his place.

What I can say is we are always in the fight each and every year and I will take that over any team/coach in the NFL.

8. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I debunked your nonsense position regarding your implication that the Steelers have an inordinate amount of player conduct issues.. Most teams have more than they do.

If you'd like another spanking, just ask....

Number of Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalties since 2009:
    San Francisco 25
    Washington 23
    Buffalo 21
    Cleveland 20
    Tampa Bay 18
    St. Louis 18
    Arizona 18
    New Orleans 18
    Tennessee 17
    Philadelphia 17
    Seattle 16
    Baltimore 16
    Denver 16
    San Diego 16
    Oakland 16
    Green Bay 16
    Miami 16
    Carolina 15
    Pittsburgh 15
    Detroit 14
    Dallas 13
    Kansas City 13
    Chicago 12
    N.Y. Jets 11
    Indianapolis 10
    Cincinnati 10
    Minnesota 9
    Jacksonville 9
    N.Y. Giants 9
    New England 9
    Houston 9
    Atlanta 7

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    One time when we were on here talking about who we'd rather have than Tomlin Mike McCarthy's name came up. So I went to a Packer forum after a loss and looked at what they were saying. Man! If you think people are hard on Tomlin you aint seen nothing around here. They were running McCarthy in the ground HARD and they were talking even WORSE about Rodgers. They were even saying that Rodgers is a closet homosexual and that explains why he's so soft and just crazy stuff. What's funny though is that around here people think Rodgers is one of the best qb's on the planet AND RIGHTLY SO. Fans just get extremely angry sometimes but then there are another sect of fans that are delusional. Then there are another set of message board fans that are actually not fans but just say incredibly stupid stuff just to inflame. (Real Steel). HOPEFULLY the people saying that Rodgers is terrible was just that board's Real Steel. LOL!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Agreed. Most fans can't break down losses to the detail required to understand the loss. So blanket generalities are developed, and they compound over the years into... basically... really stupid/uninformed narratives.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think the implication was pretty clear, though...

13. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Can we get these numbers starting in 2011 or 2012? Just curious what we'd see. Nevertheless, these look awfully low. The falcons have just seven unsportsmanlike penalties over the past seven seasons? Or is this different than a personal foul?

Also, in terms of the suspensions. Not all suspensions are equal, folks. Ben or LeVeon missing four games is not the same thing as a third-stringer missing four.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Aren't you the one who told me you've even seen Patriot fans beating on Belichick and Brady?

Fans are irrational and let their emotions run them.

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah after that Chiefs beatdown a few years ago. Didn't they actually go on to win the Super Bowl that year?

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yes, and people were asking Bellechick if it was time to bench Brady and usher in the Garappalo era.

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah that was my favorite moment from him ever. They asked that question and he literally just stared and sorta smugly shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. Lol!!!

18. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Those were just Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalties (you know, because Tomlin doesn't have a tight leash on his team :rolleyes: , so these wouldn't include personal fouls of Unnecessary Roughness, etc

If you are looking for a counter argument, it's that Pit led the league in these penalties in 2015 (fresh in your mind), they also had ZERO in 2013....

So you either look at the full/large sample, or you throw the argument out (as it relates to judging Tomlin's ability as a HC)

19. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    This is true. But for the Pats, those types of games are isolated incidents.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don't know where Dwarf Toss came from, but he sure did come in guns a blazin. Too bad he gets his butt kicked regularly in these threads.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe a dwarf tossed him here :hmm:

• Like Like x 1
  22. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2016-10-27_13-18-20.jpeg

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It's not a fight. It's a few guys trying to pass off Myths and Urban legends as facts.
    And there's another guy who uses facts to debunk those myths.

24. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    i know. I imagine this is what the former looks like while writing these posts as soon as the Steelers fail to beat a team 70-3.

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    If they don't like Rodgers, maybe the Steelers can upgrade the #2 QB spot by getting him and pay him the vet minimum.