1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Colin Cowherd Saying Tomlin is hurting Steelers..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Nafsteelers, Oct 26, 2016.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm a huge Tomlin hater, but even I don't think for one second that it's 100% Tomlin's fault. Nothing is ever that simple

2. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    This I agree with. We're not the only team with an elite QB who hasn't done much in the playoffs lately.

3. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I don't know if it was the case in the past, but this year that is not true.
    I noticed he only does the celebration when the team is up by something like 3 scores in the second half.

I'd prefer he didn't do them, as there is no need to give the opposing team a break when the Steelers are trying to strangle them. But AB was waiting until there was a comfortable margin of victory.

4. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    From what I've been reading, yes it does.
    That is the criticism of that "sub 500 team" stat. Sometimes, the Steelers lose to a good team that had a losing record (at that moment) because they started slow.

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'll agree with Cowherd to a degree. Sure does feel we are always missing guys due to suspensions, somehow we have become the Raiders in that regard? Ironic for a place the prides itself on character.

Anyone remember when Cowher teams crushed bad teams and they were over by halftime?? Miss those days. Some of that is on Ben to though.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I remember the KC game. 29-0 at halftime. Actually never mind - KC is a good team.

7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Beer is good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    q
    Be interesting to see what Cowher's record was vs. crap teams, but he lost a few memorable ones. Expansion Jags, expansion Texans, expansion Browns immediately come to mind. Lost to a couple heavy underdogs in AFCC Games at home, too, though I think NE cheated in 2001 so he gets a pass.

9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Is it possible to be more than 100% correct? If so, Cowherd is! He articulated in 2 1/2 minutes what I've thought about Tomlin for the last several years.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I found this interesting; antipodean of what Tomlin's record is against lesser teams during the season (during is keyword here)..

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I will add that, while Tomlin needs to shoulder the majority of the blame because he's the head coach, Ben deserves much of the blame as well. He's really choked a few times against bad teams, throwing interceptions at critical times, taking unnecessary sacks, missing some big throws. It seems to me when Tom Brady and Peyton Manning went up against inferior opponents they asserted their superiority early and often and went straight for the jugular at every opportunity. Ben has laid some eggs against really bad teams at times. So it's not just the coach, the quarterback is also complicit in the underperformance issues that are beginning to define Tomlin's legacy.

But...all will be forgiven if we win number 7 this year! :steelflag:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Tomlin is a very good coach, but not a great one.

On the plus side, his players play for him, they don't quit. He doesn't lose the team. The players parrot and seem to buy his line. They make the playoffs nearly every yr. two SB appearances in 8 yrs. He seems to get a lot out of marginal talent. Imho, the defense has been getting by with smoke and mirrors the last two yrs and has been largely getting away with it. If the Steeler fired Tomlin tomorrow, he'd be unemployed for about 10 minutes. Lots of teams would be happy to swap head coaches.

On the negative. He's a bit arrogant, especially when dealing w/ media and fans. And a lot of yinzer don't like that. He gets out coached on occasion. His decisions to go for it or kick a FG are inconsistent, sometimes he's gutsy, sometimes he turtles. And for God sakes, would someone take the red flag away from him? His choices as to when to challenge or not are often insane.

But most of the negatives are realtively minor, irritating things. I can see how Tomlin drives some fans nuts. But let me tell you , as I guy who's followed NFL while living in Buf, NYC, and Houston, you don't know what a bad coach looks like in Pit. Get one for 3-4 seasons, and you'll be wishing to have Tomlin back.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It's called Post Season for a reason. You can doctor it up anyway you want, but 8-8 is not a losing season.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I love how you say it's a team sport then blame only the coaches.
    You're so blinded by your hatred of Tomlin that you can't have a logical debate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    All those wins came with Cowhers players. Duh

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    hold on...i have to fill-up my drink to get through this thread....

[​IMG]

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Most people think he's a Jack Ass?

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I agree mostly. But I'm curious, if Tomlin isn't a great coach, who are the great coaches in the league besides Bellichick?

Every year we see more hot shot coordinator hires that never pan out. And we see recycled head coaches that never recapture former success. Sustained success is rare, and it is a defining trait of great coaches.

There is no debate that Tomlin is a top 5 HC in this league.

20. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    He may be that, but I agree with his analysis. I've asserted for quite some time, as you know, that the Steelers are somewhat undisciplined at times and Tomlin doesn't seem to have them well prepared for games against inferior opponents. They show up many times flat and uninspired with a poor game plan and seem to have an inability to make in-game adjustments against the likes of Terrell Pryor, Ryan Mallet, Johnny Manziel, Tim Tebow et al. This is not a figment of anyone's imagination. It's gotten attention from the wannabe football analysts on this message board all the way to guys who get paid to do this sort of thing for a living. I don't necessarily think the next great thing in coaching is out there so I'm not suggesting that the Steelers should even think about making a change, but not having his team prepared,or "buttoned up" as Cowherd put it, against inferior opponents could leave a stain on his legacy, which is otherwise pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't doubt that, but there is also no debate that of the top 5 HCs in the league, he seems to struggle more against opponents who are touchdown or more underdogs as well. For all of you research junkies out there who want to confirm or deny this, have at it, lol.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You say he sucks, yet he has the highest winning percentage of any HC in Steelers history.

23. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben is a elite QB who on the road the last few seasons has 18 TDs and 18 ints, I suppose that's Tomlin's fault too. Ben is a inconsistent elite QB.

25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Fair enough. If you are asking who I'd trade Tomlin for as an HC besides Bellichek,I have ver y few names to offer. Which is exactly the point, Tomlin does stuff to annoy you. But, who would you rather have?

As for being a great HC, is Tomlin a HOF HC? My gut says no, but another Super Bowl appearance and 5-8 more yrs averaging 10 wins/yr, he'll have a resume that's hard to argue with.