1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Colin Cowherd Saying Tomlin is hurting Steelers..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Nafsteelers, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Nafsteelers

Nafsteelers Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2015
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Calls akin to not go for it on 4th and 2 in addition to his record against sub. 500 teams is definitely giving Colin's points credibility.

To say he is the main reason Pittsburgh has not looked like world beaters due to inconsistency over his tenure is jumping the gun a bit though; factoring in what has transpired over the last two seasons due to injuries the same.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Nafsteelers

Nafsteelers Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2015
    Well we sure do play down on teams that we should be beating, never understood how we cant be prepared and focus for those games..

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Much of it has to do with the old age NFL ethos:

"Coaches coach and players play."

For that reason, it seems that the players do the following:

-do not execute assignments

-ignore the fundementals of the game

-are undisciplined

-a combination of the two

-or all three

In the same vein, one could make the argument that Tomlin does not perform well upon preparing his team against such opponents; as of recently being the tipping point when factoring in, since 2012, Tomlin's record against lesser teams as pointed out by Cowherd's show is disappointing at 19-22.

Even with all that being said though, Tomlin has yet to have a losing season; a reason I have yet to chastise him like the rest of the fanbase seems to be doing right now given this two week anomaly; quite intriguing given the fact that the fanbase believes we should have annihilated Miami and lost to New England only to get more irate about the latter than the formers outcome.

5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He has had some non-winning seasons though. Do I think Tomlin is a great football mind? No. Do I think he manages the clock well? No. Do I think he plays situational football well? No. Do I think he motivates the players well? Yes. Do I think the players want to play for him? Yes. Do I think we have drafted well under him? Yes and no. Offensively yes. Defensively no. Do I think he deserves to be fired or will be fired? No. Even if I DID think he should be and we ALL thought he should be would the Rooney's give a crap? No. Tomlin will be here a long time. That's just the way I feel about it. It would take a monumental collapse for him to be let go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He's clearly cherry picking and basically playing off of the ideas of some idiots on message boards. When all of the facts are presented the arguments against Tomlin does not hold water. Tomlins teams clearly have a winning record against "lesser teams".

I don't view teams as lesser anymore. I am old enough to understand the dynamics of the NFL. Records don't mean anything when teams face off vs one another. Bottom line, if Tomlins teams were so bad they wouldn't be competitive or win. He would not have a job if his teams were so terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

Which one? If we are accounting for those 8-8 seasons, then those are not considered losing seasons as those are not under .500.

In addition, anyone who knows the Steelers organization should know that they just do not fire a coach due to a poor game; let alone a poor season.

As much as fans are going to get irate about losing to such teams, Tomlin is not going anywhere for a long time. At 44 years of age, he still has plenty left to offer. If he should have a cataclysmic meltdown.. then those discussions of firing him should be ramped up.

Until then, one should not hold ones breath on it

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes but are they considered "winning" seasons? Semantics. LOL! Harvard beat Yale 29-29 but who won the Seattle and AZ game Sunday night?

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Those are considered average then. You are not above .500 but not below it either. You are in between both; average is the result.

Even so, that still does not constitute a losing season.

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    So they are called "average" seasons? Or "winning" seasons? Do you personally consider 8-8 a winning season? It makes no difference to me what it's called. Most Tomlin apologists do make it out like they are "winning" seasons when defending him. I'm just curious what you personally consider it. I guess I just consider it a "non winning" season but also not a "losing" season.

11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh and also 99.99999999% of the time Colin Cowherd is a blithering idiot. He's the same genius that basically said it doesn't take a lot of brains to play baseball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Tomlin IMO is an average to above average head coach. Most of his positives are about the players willing to play for him, but even then, we take several games lightly each year so their is lack of discipline and maybe that is part of the reason he is liked. I don`t know how much say he has in the draft or how much play calling (other than when to punt, go on 4th, etc) he does. There is no greatness, but who could we find to replace him? I just don`t see us doing better.

If we had a couple bad years and at the same time say somebody like Andy Reid was available, heck yeah make the change.

13. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Tomlin needs to be held responsible for the record against inferior opponents. Losing to the Bucs, Saints, Cleveland, Jets in 2014 made us host a wild card game. Had we beaten those teams, it's probable we have a bye and Bell is back.

Last season we were forced to play a wild card game. Losses to Baltimore, another bottom feeder ( I'm sure) contributed to that. We're a Bengals meltdown away from losing to another backup QB.

He is responsible for losing to the dregs. It's obvious they can get up for top teams, why not bottom feeders?

Tired of him honestly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Anytime you don't make the playoff's it is a losing season imo. 8-8 2 years in a row and no playoffs is considered losing seasons, especially when you have a veteran team. With that said I have a question about Tomlin, is he the reason our D is so bad? Is he trying to change what we had, we look the same as far as results with Butler as we did with Lebeau. That is my biggest concern, MT came here as a defensive guy and we are getting worse. Are we trying to change the system and just don't have the players or what? I am not putting the blame on him but this is the one thing that is bugging me and this thread looked like a good spot for it....thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    I agree with the gist of it, but Cowherd used some questionable examples. For one, we haven't played well against Baltimore lately.

Here's one thing Cowherd didn't call out in that clip - the penalties. Antonio Brown gets them nearly every time he scores. Tomlin has no problem with it, so guys like Will Gay obviously want to join in the fun, too. Heck, even coaches Joey Porter join in the celebrations. I'm sure millennials like that me first ****, but it's embarrassing and draws flags.

Mike Mitchell still makes dumb taunting penalties and head hunts, which is going to get him another down the line. There are simply no consequences so the behavior doesn't stop.

The part about the bad teams is common knowledge now. He's put it on tape and will wear it.

We have an inconsistent, immature, chest thumping team. If you will.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Points I took
    Emotionally inconsistent - tomlin is emotional
    Bad against bad teams - that is coaching
    Good not great coach
    The longer tomlin is there the more issues

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I'll take Tomlin everyday of the week. Stability in the locker room is huge. No one remembers all the gutsy calls he makes when the go the right way. EX: San Diego game last year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Funny how at the end of last season, Tomlin was getting props (in this board and the media) for getting the team in a position to get into the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. chipped ham

chipped ham Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Cowherd is totally wrong with that 19-22 vs losing teams. From 2007-2011, Tomlin coached teams were 27-8 against sub-.500 teams. And you don't get to 96 career wins by going 19-22 to sub-.500 teams. His stat was wrong, but the Steelers have had a knack of losing to teams they should beat.

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Folks can stop debating. If Colin Cowherd said it, then it's gospel.

21. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Does losing to a 1-5 KC team, that finishes the season 11-5 and in the playoffs count as losing to a sub 500 team or not?

22. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I agree with Cowherd completely. We had a long thread last week about Tomlin. I think he sucks. Others like him. It is what it is. No opinions will change here, and he surely won't be removed, so we move on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    8-8 means a team was very mediocre and usually stacked up at the bottom of team rankings statistic wise; 8-8 certainly isn't a team goal at the start of a season, and very rarely will 8-8 get a team in the playoffs, the pundits consider it a losing season, and the apologists will say it isn't a losing season because it isn't under 500. All I can say is 8-8 makes me feel like the team under performed and was erratic through out the season, they were not consistent week in and week out and no team gets a trophy for 8-8 and nor should they, they have problems that must be fixed in the following season and if not fixed they will just repeat at 8-8 again like we did before....

24. DwarfToss

Sep 28, 2016
    The graphic showed that he was talking about since 2012.

25. DwarfToss

Sep 28, 2016
    By losing to Ryan F'ing Mallett and Baltimore and needing a Jets choke in week 17? That's how he got his team in position?

Or by beating up on the likes of AJ McCarron, Johnny Manziel, Austin Davis, and Matt Hasslebeck?