1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Colbert's worst season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What was Colbert thinking this year? He made some really curious decisions and it hurt this team.

First he botched the LevBell situation. He really needed to make every effort to get an answer from Lev, yes or no, and act swiftly and accordingly. We needed to be deeper at the RB position. It should never have gotten to Ridley and a rookie.

He also left us thin at WR. We went into the season really counting on James Washington making major contributions on the team as the 3rd receiver. You can't rely on a rookie like that, not a team with the aspirations they have.

He didn't address the loss of Ryan Shazier properly? Jon Bostic and Morgan Burnette are average players who were not resigned by teams that had BAD defenses. The Steelers SB window is slowly closing, you need to make every effort to get the same type of production that Shazier brought.

He had another questionable 1st round pick. Lets face it...he has been whiffing on 1st round picks lately. Dupree, Burns, Jarvis Jones... Edmunds, who most teams rated as a 3rd round talent, is raising the same kind of concerns.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Well, yeah. It's a downhill snowball thing.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Colbert made some unusual moves for certain.

The issue is not entirely on him though. The fact of the matter is that this team REALLY needs a new coordinator on defense. Someone who can actually adjust in game and utilize the talent given.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yes! And how about developing talent as well? Most all of the young DBs with potential never even get close to their ceilings.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I am giving Bradley a pass on that one. This is his inaugural season as an NFL position coach. As I said in another thread, the fact that he had essentially a secondary comprised of only one good player, one young ascending player, a player who just learned yet another position and a journeyman as his options speaks volumes about how well he has done. Get him a real cornerback and then we can elect to send him to the guillotine if that does not work.

Regarding developing real talent elsewhere however?! Completely agree. Get rid of Porter and Oslavsky. Have them meet up with Butler once Butler has been given his resignation papers first. :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I don’t disagree with one thing you said.

7. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    All that money wasted on a kicker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    The patriots win cost us everything in return haha

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Almost worth it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure what Colbert could have done differently with Bell, except maybe agree not to tag him again so Bell might have played the final six weeks. That is assuming Bell's agent told the truth about that situation, which is an iffy proposition at best. Passing on C.J. Anderson to stick with Ridley was a mistake.

Drafting Edmunds when Darius Leonard was available was a huge mistake. Leonard was the next inside linebacker on the board and a borderline first-round talent. Edmunds was a third-round talent.

That said, the 2018 draft could still turn out to be a decent one. Washington showed signs late that he might be a player after all. Chuks Okorafor looked good in his only start and he could be battling for a starting job next season. Edmunds might still develop into a decent starter. The real key is Rudolph. If he can actually become a valid successor to Roethlisberger, all other mistakes are forgiven.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I told everyone something was up when they actually called penalties on the Cheatriots. I never celebrated that win. NFL has been keeping that one in their back pocket. That was suppose to be our Super Bowl and miss the playoffs to let another team in. "Parity"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Right the NFL rigged it...

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    NFL kinda owed us the win over the Cheats, the outlaw & at.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Once Bell decided not to show up for training camp and OTAs I would of recinded the tag and moved on. A third round compensatory pick is not worth the headache or the potential of getting another player that could of help this defense.

15. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Edmunds was rated a first round talent by many. It wasn't set in stone that he was a 3rd round talent.

The Steelers had a need at ILB and safety. Steelers decided to go with the more versatile player in Edmunds. Only more time will tell if the right decision was made.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is why you don't give out that kind of money to non every down players. If they cut
    him next year the Steelers are eating a lot of dead money cap space that they need so
    desperately for their defense

17. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I disagree with the Bell thing that was just a bad deal all around, the Steeler were damned if they did damned if they didn't. Where I agree is at depth at rb, once LB didn't show we should have gotten a vet. CJ Anderson was a name I threw out and many said no well he did ok with the Rams.

Now what I feel has been our problem not just this year but for many of years is the disconnect between Tomlin and Butler/LeBeau. If Tomlin is gonna stay then he needs to fire Butler and the front office needs to let MT bring "his" guy in. From day one Tomlin has had to have a DC who the front office picked and both guys were 3-4 guys Tomlin is not. This right here IMO(I am not expert) has been the problem with many of the players we picked. Not being able to use these guys like Tomlin wants to is a problem. Again this is just my opinion but that is what I am seeing on the defensive side.

As for Burnett and Bostic I am so not sure what went on here. What I do know is we got Bostic at 2years 4 mil when guys like Williamson and Brown got 3years for 21-22 mil. You shop at the dollar store you get dollar store quality. With that said Bostic wasn't all that bad imo. Where we got hurt was Burnett, it was obvious we needed safety help so we signed 2 in fa(Burnett and Berhe) and drafted 2..kinda. We need a hall hawk there and we didn't get one.

As far as the draft goes I just went over this in a post a few days ago but sorry nobody goes 100-90-80-75%! The draft is a crap shoot and imo when have done ok, FYI we had 8 guys on the field yesterday from the last 2 draft classes. For me this goes back to coaching and scheme not talent. JMO

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This! I don't want to hear any more $hit about him. He is an after thought as far as i'm concerned. The only good thing he did for this team by not showing up is save 14.5 which should be used on a free agent corner.

• Like Like x 1
  19. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I really don't see how he botched the Bell situation. Our running game was pretty good till Conner got hurt and even then we had some good games. We offered a fair contract based on his injury and substance history, and we didn't have to pay him anything since he didn't play, AND he was blocked from being able to go to a rival. I'd say the Bell thing was one of the few things Colbert got right this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Sorry, but they're going to tag him and relive it all over again...

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  21. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    The Leonard/Edmunds situation is bad and was as obvious then as it is now. The last six first round picks have resulted in Watt and nothing else. He has really screwed up rebuilding the back 7. People will point to Shaz getting hurt, fair enough, but I really wanted Mosley in that draft anyway. Jones and Dupree were never going to work out and now Bud is getting $9M to cover the mistake of taking him. Burns was worth a shot I guess but it's another case of not moving up/back if what you want, or value, isn't there. To say nothing of how missing on picks gets you chasing positions in subsequent years - we'll be looking at LB or DB again in 2019.

Bell should have been gone after last season. It was clear then he wanted insane money. You don't give that to a RB, especially a pot head with so many touches and attitude problems.

Serious cap issues, and a refusal to break tradition, keep this team from adding impact with trades or free agency. I have huge problems with Tomlin but Colbert is complicit in this mess. He's another Rooney untouchable though.

22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    We're like the Titanic backing up to hit the ice burg again. Need to move on as we have viable RB's right now and that should not be the focus our main effort to improve for next year. The players on the bus are fine, its the drivers that are the problem. Too much drama, too little leadership.