1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Colbert: "Wallace a Steeler for life"

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrock151, Feb 23, 2012.

1. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Today, as reported by NFL.com (http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/02/23/colbert ... line_stack):

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert assertively answered a reporter’s question Thursday about the “dilemma” surrounding restricted free-agent WR Mike Wallace.
    “Having a great player like Mike Wallace is not a dilemma,” Colbert said.

And

“We’re going to do everything we can to make sure that Mike Wallace remains a Pittsburgh Steeler, and I think that’s Mike’s belief as well,” Colbert said. “Usually when you’ve got two parties who share the same goal, it’s easier to achieve that goal.”

and

“The thing I can say for sure about Mike is that we want Mike to finish his career with the Steelers,” Colbert said. “And I’m very confident that Mike wants to finish his career with the Steelers and play with a great quarterback like Ben Roethlisberger and the other receivers we have to compliment him."

2. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That's as good as indication as ever that he will be staying in my opinion. When they make statements that strong I believe them.

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    And my apologies for starrting another Wallace thread. Just thought this was significant enough not to get buried on page three of the other Wallace topics on the board.

4. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Good stuff. I hope Mike Wallace remains a Steeler. This gives an indication that he will.

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  6. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I doubt he even comes close to hitting the open market

7. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Colbert also said pretty strongly that he believes Casey Hampton will be with the team this year, and that that injury to a NT is not the same as to a RB...

We still need Casey's replacement to spell him this season even if that is the case.

8. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Hampton could be back if he puts in the work he almost didnt even need surgery

9. Tutter83

Tutter83 New Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Does Wallace have a choice to not sign another teams offer if the Steelers put a first round tender on him? Or is he automatically gone if the Steelers do not match the offer whether Wallace likes it or not

10. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    If this is the case they better do something about his HUGE cap number...he is not worth THAT much money...no offense to Casey but I'm sorry $8-9 mil no way. On top of that not knowing how he will be after this injury (regardless of what he thinks), no thanks.

11. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    He doesnt have to sign the offer sheet but if he does the steelers have to match

12. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    O.K. My head is spinning. I just finish reading a thread entitled "WALLACE IS GONE!" and now I'm Reading one entitled, Wallace a Steeler for life.

Is there any way for him to be both?

13. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

We run a play action and the secondary bites. They turn around to find Wallace is GONE into the endzone with the ball :applaud:

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They have no choice on Casey, he's on IR they can't cut him

15. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Hes not on ir they could cut him but he could get an injury settlement

16. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That must go against the cap too right? Otherwise teams would be settling with guys all the time.

17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I still fear that we will not sign a contract with him before he hits the market.....To all the Wallace fans I know it was good to hear Colbert talk,but I wouldn't bet on Wallace staying just yet.....

The 49rs. GM stated yeah Wallace is a guy we could bee interested in,I also think the Bengals will get in on it and maybe another Team or 2.........I guess the question is if he hits the market just how high will his stock go and at what point would the Steelers consider a no buy?

I think we might offer him a reasonable Offer in the next few weeks if he fails to take it I can still see him leaving......I would guess somewhere in the 7 Mil a year range I can't see us going much higher.....

Question for you guys ?What would you think his Steeler worth is ?And what do you think he is worth in a bidding war on the open market?

18. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    we can cut him without a settlement than he will fill the grievance that if pay doesn't count vs the cap

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't see them doing that at all, I have to find the info on that, but I thought that was expressly forbidden by the new agreement.

Again otherwise they would just wink and nod at the players and get them to buy off on this way of cutting cap space.

20. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    How can you be on I.R. during the offseason?

21. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I think if bye the 4th if no deal is done they will put the franchise tag him like woodley to buy more time. From what colbert said i really dont see him hitting the open market

22. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i read somewhere is possible anyway we can't pay hampton 8 milion , even if he is healthy

23. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yo... Wallace a Steeler for life? Please!!!! If they can't step up to the plate right now and say the same thing for Ward I have a hard time believing that. Ward has always been an all around better receiver than Wallace.

Let's be real. Wallace has the extra gear, but once he loses it he they will quickly show him the door.

25. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He's only what -- 25? He won't lose a gear for at least 3 or 4 years, and even then he'll still be fast enough to be a deep threat. Unless we're signing him to an 8 year contract, I don't see why re-signing him is a risk as far as speed goes.

Look at Ike Taylor. He was once the fastest man in the league, and now that he's finally lost his extra gear, he's still fast enough to stick with the fastest receivers.