1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Colbert speaks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CK 13, Feb 15, 2018.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Colbert didn't give us much there. I'm glad that he acknowledged roster changes need to be made.

3. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Not terribly surprising, the Steelers typically don't make too much of a splash in free agency. I'm keeping an eye on February 20th, the first day the Steelers can (and probably will) tag Le'Veon Bell.

Then let the 2 week staring contest begin!

• Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  5. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    He speaks...and said almost nothing.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Like he's supposed to tell the media all of his plans :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    That is really unfortunate cause free agency is the only chance they have at winning a Super Bowl before Ben retires. Not enough time to get any drafted rookies up to speed on defense with the subpar defensive coaches that are currently in-place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    DHB and his 1.3m contract is a bargain, the guy has earned his spot. The others you mentioned I totally agree with and add Wilcox and Golden to the cut list. Like hearing Vance is a fit for this team but not at the price he is at now....not sure if I have posted that here:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Like I said about ARII when he spoke that is the Steeler way they won't give the public nothing. That is what good ownership and front office people do, they don't air the dirty laundry out in public......

• Like Like x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Lattimore, Watt, White, Garrett and Adams may disagree with you this year. Bosa, Jack, Jones, Hargraves, Neal and Ramsey may disagree with you the year before. The thing is college players are more ready now coming out, it isn't like it was in the past where you hardly ever saw a rookie start. We could easily have 2 rookie starters next year of defense.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Players like Javon Hargrave, Joey Bosa, Deion Jones, Myles Jack and T.J. Watt are exceptions. Each of those players came into a system that tailored speficially to their playstyles but also have the football IQ and athleticism to boot.

Players like Jalen Ramsey, Jamal Adams, Marshon Lattimore and Myles Garrett are transcendent talents seen once every generation; the latter a term I would use loosely. Those players are not scheme specific, are athletes that are beyond exceptional and work in any system; where they end up a non factor.

Reason I do not trust Myles Garrett as most is due to the reason he will take plays off from time to time. Someone like Bradley Chubb, who may not be the freak Garrett is but has an endless motor, is someone I would take over him.

12. SuperSteelers

Jan 10, 2018
    Hmmmm...I hope you are not resting your laurels on the Steelers coaching staff to be able to draft such players and/or be able put them in a position to make plays cause you will be severely dissappointed.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Mac I understand the issue with Golden and Dangerfield. Golden does contribute on special teams and knows the system. Dangerfield signed a future/reserve contract. When they get rid of Mitchell (in which can't happen soon enough) and Wilcox it's going to be thin. The good news is that they might move Davis to FS. I feel they will draft 2 and possibly look in free agency (but not breaking the bank)
    With Mitchell gone this unit already gets better.

Maybe they can move him to safety :rolleyes:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Sorry but the proof is there I just named 11 guys with a problem that are starters proving rookies can make an impact. I don't care what the reason is there are 11 and if I were to look into them 2 drafts more there are probably even more players who had impacts. You can't pick and choose as to each persons talents, one maybe 2 ok but when you get up into double digits you have to say these players are pro ready. These kids are getting pro level coaching at the college level which is reflecting with them in their 1st year. jmo

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Really, I am pretty sure Watt was pretty good, Sutton and Hargrave look to be good and as much as Davis had a bad year he is not as bad as many make him out to be. I think you are falling into the lets blame everything on the coaching staff trap. Don't get me wrong they have their blame as well but you act like we were the Cleveland clowns last year.........

16. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    There is no mutual exclusivity in this case. He can say SOMETHING while not giving away 100% of their strategy. Do you
    grasp this? :rolleyes::facepalm::eek:

17. SuperSteelers

Jan 10, 2018
    Hmmmm...so keep drafting rookies in the hope we can get to the promise land before Ben retires instead of trying to land some FAs who could fill the holes now. Yeah, I would rather take my chances in the free agency pool to win now with Ben.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah cause the Steelers have been big FA spenders in the past........How long you been a Steeler fan you should know they are a build by draft not FA team.:facepalm:

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

If you do not care, then please answer me this.

Why did you name eleven players who had different skills and talents to begin with?

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Because your saying certain players are exceptions, once in generation players or not scheme specific. I am saying whatever to all that the fact remains that there were 11 players I just listed over a 2 year period to prove my point to the poster I quoted who was saying rookies can't get up to speed, I beg to differ. 11 players right off the bat is a lot more than one in a generation or exceptions or not scheme specific. College player are more NFL ready these days we are seeing that more and more.

21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I think it was Dulac that mentioned Allen possible moving to FS? Intersting idea in the least.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He did say something, he talked about they need to fix the defense and he said some guys won't be back. Fans like you expect him to tell you his specific plans about free agency and the draft :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Well, yeah. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The idea the Steelers don’t sign free agents is hogwash. What they will not do, as many here want them to do, is on the first day of free agency rush out and over pay for mediocre talent. What they commonly do is wait until August and pick up cap casualties, etc. Good players at fair value can be found then. Joe Haden comes to mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, we lucked up big time with Joe Haden. He was a cap casualty in Cleveland and agreed to play for the Steelers at a discount. Usually, it's players like Coty Sensabaugh that we sign off the scrap heap.