1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Colbert Confirms Rebuild...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Ya... Thatst right! You can't stop me from watching!....And complaining!

• Like Like x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    This coming from a guy who thinks Dobbs should've played more :facepalm:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    The way we draft, you think a top 10 pick is going to help? How about just hoping we do well??

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Too many holes and salary cap issues to compete with the best teams in the AFC. Bills and Chiefs are light years ahead of the Steelers... and it's not even close. I don't understand why the Steelers keep treading over the same old ground and spinning their wheels. Now is the time for a rebuild. Steelers won't sniff the Super Bowl, much less the AFC Championship any time soon.

I guess I'm an awful fan for expecting nothing short of a Super Bowl victory every year. The Steelers in their current state can not compete for a Super Bowl. The Super Bowl window shut years ago, as far as I'm concerned.... it died with the pitiful loss to Jacksonville in playoff game after 2017 season. Time for a rebuild.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    You don't think we draft well?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Yep...But Rooney and Tomlin does that tough talk " We compete for a Super Bowl every year " BS...Even though we don't

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I would not begin prepping Justin Layne's Gravestone so soon. He is essentially Terrell Edmunds all over again with some major differences; their draft status being the biggest one. Corner back is arguably the toughest position to play on Defense.

The fact that Justin Layne is still in his "third season" while learning the position tells me that there is much to be taught to him. No 2020 Pre Season did not help but thankfully there will be a 2021 one for all of us to get a better view point of him. Using 2020 as a reference point for someone like Justin Layne is unfair in my opinion. Too many variables associated with that season alone.

Overall, he did as well as I thought he would have heading into 2020; ups and downs. Third time could be the charm. If not, plenty of other corners to choose from. Besides, given how much the team loves NFL Bloodlines; Ifeatu Melifonwu is someone I can easily see the team taking a closer look at.

8. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Seems obvious. You think we do?

9. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Watt...
    Heyward...
    Pouncey...
    Ben...
    Decastro...
    Tuiit...
    Troy...
    Heath...
    AB...
    Bell...
    Sanders...
    Wallace...
    Gilbert...
    Shazier...
    Hargrave...
    JuJu...
    Ward...
    Sutton...
    Bush...
    Claypool...
    Highsmith...
    Dotson..

Picking at , or near the end of the round...

YES!

• Like Like x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    And 2 of those players have rings.... obtained with other teams. :facepalm:

Sanders and AB

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    We have had 188 draft picks since Ward's class since you took it back that far.

56 players were starters (18 pro bowlers) or depth players that started

132 were players that never made any impact what so ever or nobody's in the league.

So that's 29.7 % conversion rate at finding at least a starter or depth player in the draft. I do not think that is acceptable but I did not run any numbers for any other team and probably couldn't because I do not follow other team closely enough to know their depth players.

They also have a 36.9% bust rate in rounds 1-3 in the same time frame. The NFL draft is not a exact science but you should be able to find valuable assets in rounds 1-4. So to say they are busting at a 40% clip in the first 3 rounds is saying they are not drafting good IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You guys seriously think this team doesn’t draft well and never finished below .500 in the last 15 years.

Ben and Tomlin are a lot better than they get credit for then!

Come on man.

What about in the 90’s when it was max exodus of FA every season and they’d just plugged in the next guy.

Steelers are a great drafting team overall. Problem is they have had a few bombs during Tomlins tenure that really hurt them.

Last year with no 1st rd pick and they got Claypool, Highsmith and Dotson, that’s pretty good, jury is still out on McFarland and Brooks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is were I , and maybe some others may see it differently. I believe if you make it 2 the Playoffs you are competing for a SB.
    I can't even tell you how many people in Ben's 2nd year were saying we had no chance at a SB.
    I know circumstances are different, but what people where saying is the same. No chance.

14. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The Athletic did a comparison of how teams draft a while back, I think they went back a decade. I can’t remember the exact methodology but the Saints and Packers were found to be the most prolific teams in the draft. Steelers were in a group just below them with the Ravens and a few other teams. Steelers generally do well in the draft relatively speaking, especially given that they have had one of the worst average draft position in the league. They are nearly always outside the top 20

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Scroll down on this article and those numbers for the Steelers compare to the league as a whole.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe...is-success-to-draft-position/?sh=383efe577495

16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    There was a post on this a while ago. Comparatively Colbert has been one of the best GMs in the NFL with obtaining players producing wins. One area that is obviously lacking is ability in drafting secondary.

Currently they're in a bit of a mess capwise but people forget they did go all in with extensions years ago to get to this point.

The reality is they are/should be in a rebuild mode but we're trying to hang on a little longer. Going to be tough against an AFC that is getting pretty tough now

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I understand what you're saying, but would you really say we "competed" for a SB last season?

18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Umm considering the Steelers went 15-1 in Ben's first year and lost to a Tom Brady led Pats team who was saying they had no chance in year 2? Given his first year all anybody could see was up after that.

19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I honestly think AR2 watched this recent Super Bowl, saw what TB did and is delusional enough to think, yeah Ben could do that.

20. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    And he's not the only one.

Saw the following stats today. Very telling.

When the Steelers rush for 100+ yards, Ben is 106-20-1 (.839). When they don't, he's 50-54 (.481) Since 2018, he's 12-0-1 with 100+ rushing yards. He's 9-11 otherwise. If Deucer wants to win, Ben isn't the catalyst, the OL and a commitment to the run is.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, talking about this stuff:

22. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Aditi is really pushing that angle but it ignores the fact that one of the biggest issues with the run game is Ben himself. He can’t scramble any more, won’t get under center, can’t throw deep consistently to back defences up, and checks out of run plays all the time by all accounts. That is not to say he was the only problem, he wasn’t, but it’s not as simple as saying ‘give the man a running game to work with’. He is a big factor in why that will be hard to do.

Also, teams adjusted to the Steelers offence as the season wore on and the Sterlers couldn’t adjust to those adjustments. Again, partly on Ben

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes but what changed by the 6th game? I can’t believe it was just Ben saying I’m 86ing the run game that was working the first 6 games. Was it physical limitations of Ben that caused it? I’d have to go back and watch those first 6 games to see what Ben was doing to know for sure. Something changed.

24. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    One thing that changed was that in the following games vs Baltimore and Dallas they fell behind and had to chase the game. Having the lead allows you to keep the defence guessing. They also moved away from the jet sweeps and motion plays that were working earlier in the season.

It got progressively worse however as defences adjusted to their shorty throw game plan and crowded the LOS to stop both the short passes and the run. I was reading recently that Snell and Conner were running in to stacked boxes more than any other backs except Akers from the Rams. Then you have issues with the line, and Conner / Snell being average at best.

In truth it’s probably a combination of a whole range of issues, they haven’t run the ball well in years, a season like this has been brewing since Bell left.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Apparently you weren't on any boards at the time. When we were ( I believe) 5 - 6 everyone was ....no chance , last year was a fluke, and even if we by chance make the playoffs we are 1 and done. The team pissed it only chance off last year, and on , and on.
    Come on some of the talking heads (tv personalities) said we were the worst team in the playoffs, we backed in.
    I guarantee I'm not the only one who remembers it.