1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cody Kessler, USC

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steel_Elvis, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I know that we have some USC fans out here who will have watched a lot of Kessler, so I want to get an idea what you think. He strikes me as a very solid long-term backup QB at the NFL level. A guy who can reliably run an offense with the full playbook at his disposal, and manage a few wins while the starter is out. He seems smart and unflappable. He's probably going to go fairly late because he lacks physical tools. Is he worth our 4th rounder? We do need another QB, and as we've seen, those backup QBs sometimes do play meaningful snaps. I've only watched a few of his games, but I was impressed. What say you?

2. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I'm here in USC country and your analysis is pretty spot on. He's pretty accurate too. At least he showed that to me last season when he threw 39 Td's and only 5 picks. I definitely see him as a good back up QB prospect and because of his accuracy, he could be an elite game managing QB. In the Alex Smith mode.

3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I live in PAC 12 country and have seen a lot of USC ball and Kessler has limited potential to be a solid backup at this level with a whole lot of work, but he may become a free agent in this draft for several reasons, he needs a lot of work on his passing game, he would take a lot of sacks at this level, he isnt ideal size at 6-1 and could end up like matt barkley floating around never getting a start, I think he's too big of a project to ever become a solid starter in a backup role, they can draft him in the 7th round if they want to for camp fodder, but I would be tempted to pass on him even in the 7th round, I would rather draft Kevin Hogan in the 6th round because hogan has more potential to be a backup in the future, he's bigger at 6-3 has a bigger arm than kessler and is a tougher more durable QB than kessler.......

4. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Dean are you an USC fan? I was curious about this guy in general. I wasn't really thinking back up but seeing Steel throw it out there makes me more curious. I didn't realize what his stats were (not a huge stat guy) but I was impressed in the little that I saw him.

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Sudfeld intrigues me the most among the mid to late round QBs.

Didn't see much from Kessler to think he would be a regular NFL QB.

Still not sure I want a QB at all in this draft.

6. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Yes..I'm a life long USC fan. Maybe my opinion of Kessler is bias; I admit. But I think he could be a solid backup in the NFL with some seasoning.

But to be truthful, I like the Stanford kid better as a back up prospect.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Kessler is no better than Landry geez, why do fans keep mentioning him most likely a career 3rd stringer.

8. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Kessler is the all time accurancy leader at USC. He doesn't have the biggest arm in the world but a guy who I think can be a good backup for a 2-3 game stretch.

But I think Hogan of Stanford would be the pick if we had a choice.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's because he threw those receiver bubble screens half the time, he doesn't push the ball down the field. I would take a chance on Hogan in the 6th rd or 7th.

10. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I too like Hogan more. But all anybody has to do is see Kessler's 2014 tape. He did push the ball down the field.