1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Coates to miss start of camp

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He's not going to make the team. Too much competition, bad time for anyone to get hurt, especially someone coming in with question marks like him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Really worry about his hands. He didn't have the greatest hands in college and he couldn't catch jack last year after the injury. (Although, before that he was looking better) They did draft a direct competitor for the slot spot too.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wow, he better hope it heals fast.

5. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Justin Hunter and DHB's chances of making the team just got a lot better.

Damn, that is too bad. I was really hoping he would find his early season form again. But at this point if he does it will most likely be in another uniform.

6. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Juju will make us forget about Coates.

• Like Like x 1
  7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm not all that concerned about this. I'm sure he'll be back to dropping passes in no time.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I see it differently !!! Coates has great speed and solid rte tree. This is a knee scope so it's not serious and will be back no later than mid August.....

He's a fighter and I like that, he had a hernia last year and played thru it. Had surgery at seasons end. He had a devastating hand injury and still fought to play, actually did well on ST. His hand should be healed as is the Hernia.

He's better than the causal fan thinks. Bryant on 92 targets has a drop % of 14%...... Coates on his 49 targets has a drop % of 10%!!!!!

I'm pulling for him and like his chances.

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    too many other good players to wait for him. :cool:

10. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It isn't necessarily that he is injury prone, although this would worry me if I was the GM, it is all the reps that the other guys get to show they can play that really hurt him. Hunter will probably be the biggest beneficiary through this and it isn't like he doesn't have some talent.

11. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    This is a good thing. Coates is established enough that he will get into preseason games and get the snaps he'll need. Hunter needs snaps to get established here to make his preseason snaps more meaningful.

We most likely could keep 6 WR and even with that Cobi & DHB & Ayers have a fight in front of them !!!

Cajun

12. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    So disagree Mac, it's no where near cut down day so waiting hurts nothing but keeps options open!!!! There could be an unfortunate injury in the WR Corp or Coates could prove "doubters" / "haters" wrong.

Cajun

13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Heard that JuJu is Tonya Harding's 3rd cousin. :hmm:

14. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup, I too think this is it for him. If the team wasn't so loaded at WR it might be a different story, but as is I think he's the odd man out.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a Ravens uniform. They've fly route Wallace, Maclin who is a huge question mark, and Perriman who was finally healthy for the first time last year.

15. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Oh no...does this mean we get stuck with dhb again?

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    How does the pup list work? Could they put Coates on that and then make a decision on who to release when the time comes? Could be an easier decision by the time he comes back if one isn't doing well.

17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Let me be the first to say I don't know the answer to your question.

But is it even a concern right now, with so many on the team?

When they make the final cuts, sure, but he should be good to go then. Of course with AB, MB, Juju and Bell, I'm not seeing a lot of balls coming his way.

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Leg injury shouldn't stop him from hangin with who should be his best friend....Mr. Jugs....

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not saying to make the decision right this second. The report I read said he could be back mid August, maybe later. My question is, especially if it's later than mid August, could they stash him on the pup list and by themselves some time from cutting someone. Or does the pup count towards the 53.

20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I really wish him well but it doesn't bode well for him trying to make the roster. The guy has a ton of upside if he ever get his hands right but the competition will be too great to miss any amount of preseason snaps.

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I know nothing of his injury, so guess it's a wait and see type affair. But I agree with you on his upside.

I also seem to remember this time last year it was all about getting rid of Bryant because Coates was the answer.

The WR corps is deep on paper. Hopefully they are as good or better than we expect. But there are still unknowns in there. I don't think this injury spells the end of Coates just yet.

22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

However, if there is one silver lining within all of this, we may be able to see how much the likes of DeMarcus Ayers has improved; a further look at players like JuJu no less.

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Here is the preseason variant of it; courtesy of Wikipedia.

"A player who, as a result of football-related injuries, is unable to take part in training camp practices may be assigned to the preseason PUP list. Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player cannot be placed on the PUP list, however, once he has taken the field for a practice, even if only for a few minutes."

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So, if Im understanding that correctly, he doesn't count towards the 53 until he is put on the active roster. If thats right, Id definitely put him on the pup. Its not like he is a crucial cog, no reason to rush him back.

AB
    Bryant
    JuJu
    Rogers
    Hunter
    Ayers

Id roll with that (depending on if they earn it in camp, obviously). Give yourself time, see what you have in the Ayers (whom I am really rooting for) and Hunter.

Ideally, if Coates returns to form of the first 6 games of last season, I'd swap him with Hunter.

DHB will probably make the team though and they will try and stash Ayers on the PS, which I think would be a mistake.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Should Ayers exceed expectations, I think a mistake would be the most polite way to put it.

Again... assuming he exceeds the expectations.