1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Coaching

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bettissb40, Nov 27, 2011.

1. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    :lol: May be it is me but I'm still not sold on this coaching staff. I do not know what they do in practice or what they practice but it sure did not show it tonight. A good team would have taken us to the cleaners. :shock:

2. bobtx2us

bobtx2us Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Lots of us are right with you on this one.

3. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Santonio said when he went to the Jets that the Steeelers did not practice very hard and kind of just walked through it.

4. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:

5. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I get less pissed off at the team on the field than I do watching Tomlin on the sideline.

Stupid flat expression, chewing gum, staring around like "I"m so cool I can't show emotion." I never see him talking EVER. They show DL on the side and he's talking up his headset into a storm. Tomlin, take advice from a 39 season coach, and TALK to your team.

6. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I watched the mic'd Panthers game last year and Tomlin was pretty vocal here and there. I think he gives his assistants way too much autonomy.

7. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    :this!:

8. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, if it's true that as you prepare and practice, so you play, then a lot of this ho-hum, lazy, no RESULTS play does fall on at least a couple coaches.

I'm not naming names. ;)

Yes, coaches don't fumble or drop passes, or miss blocks. But when that happens EVERY SINGLE WEEK. When your team cannot score a TD inside the red zone to save their life. When the play calling is beyond peculiar. When the players even seem nonplussed at mediocre performances, then it DOES reflect on the coaching.

Coach Cowher used to drive me nuts with his sitting on a lead type football. But I'll tell you this: he would never stand for the overall performance of this team the way it has been most of the year. Their faces would be dripping in spit.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It makes me wonder about team communication. You do see Ben looking over stills from time to time but more often than not he has a hat on and is watching the game. I almost never see tomlin address the ofense or defense as a whole. I see Ben and Batch or Lefty chatting but very little play diagramming going on or even Wallace saying Ben we have this happening maybe we can exploit it or Hines saying if we run the screen it will work because they are being over aggressive. I just think there is a disconnect somewhere on the sidelines through out the game.

P.S Does anyone think BA really has plays color-coded on that laminated sheet or is it the concessions menu?

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree. If you spend as more time practicing for when a play breaks down than you do the actual play why are you using that play in the first place? Should the goal of practicing a play be that it becomes second nature, muscle memory and all that.

11. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's a concessions menu; and I noticed a ketchup stain on it. BA needs to be fired as soon as this season is over. The talent we have and to be ranked 20 something in scoring offense is inexcusable. :banghead:

12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

As stated he has no plan or no method.......He practices the scramble drill more than we practice plays.....We call PA off of run fakes from plays we have only run 5 times in 3 years.....No one is falling for that......

Also I watch other Teams adjust the blocking on running plays they Intend to run and they practice multiple ways to block those plays....We do not....Even a HS coach does this ,,,,the problem is BA has no respect for the run and will not spend practice time on how to block different fronts.......

Thats the problem we can't run PA because it looks like PA from the start.....A true PA pass needs to be off the run you actually call and the QB needs to sell the fake as well as the RB.....BA does not Coach our guys to do that......

Last week GB ran a stretch Bootleg Fake and it fooled almost the entire D and at least 2 camera men.....This is why we will never be as good as we should......We talk a good game ,but it is obvious that we don't work on the details the way we claim.......

13. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    guys I think alot of teams would love to be 8-3 and have a SB winning head coach

14. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

How much did Tomlin really have to do with that SB win? Besides, the Steelers came out lazy and ill prepared last night. Ying & Yang (Wallace & Brown) need to be interviewed less and hang on to passes more. Omar seems more interested in looking cool standing on the sidelines for the camera than getting into people's **** for lackluster, half ass play. Forgive and make excuses all you want. Those guys make alot of money to perform. It was embarrassing. :x

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah! but were not alot of other teams we are supposed to be The Pittsburgh Steelers. So, I guess by your rational as long as we are 8-3 at the 12 week mark every year ,with probably no hardware at the end of every year and we will still probably have the same super bowl winning coach because ours always seem to last,then everything is fine. I guess there is no reason to expect more than mediocrity.The truth is the O blows! and our coaching from top to bottom is questionable much too often. That time out last nite was mind boggling.

16. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes, I agree with you 100%. BA is a total waste. He has no knowledge of how to develop a running game. He is talking about coaching next year. I hope it's with a college team. Its time out for his BS.