1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Coach T

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Terrible Towelie, Oct 14, 2017.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What they heck is wrong with you? Didn't your mother raise you better? Don't be using logic and common sense. How foolish are you? 2 AFC championships and a Super Bowl should be ignored. We have been deprived.

Let the inmates run the asylum.

**** the green font.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    MT gets my vote of confidence!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Are you serious??? Rebuild the defense???? What you are seeing is what happens when Ben is not playing well at all, the HC should be seeing that and have a game plan to limit the number of throws made. Instead he just lets him have at it, but it is Ben's fault, I guess the HC just can't reign him in, how many "good" coaches would let that happen? As for this defense, let me see, oh yeah, it has given up more rushing plays of over 30 yards than any other team in the league. The secondary is bad, stats don't show it because we haven't played any QB that wasn't a rookie or career back-up or Blake Bortles but who needs a good QB when you can just run all day. As for the secondary, I'll eat crow but I saw 1 QB that was throwing and having success against us so far, Kizer, the rookie who hasn't looked like the guy he did against the Steelers defense when everyone was saying he is going to be good. In fact he has been that bad against other teams he is now riding the pine but against us he actually looked good, what do you think with happen when this secondary faces some good QB talent? You may be right though, Tomlin might be shoring up the secondary by having the team let RBs run rampant, it will force teams to use the run to advance the ball and move the chains which will keep the score lower and make it look as if the pass defense has improved dramatically. Do you honestly think a good coach would have Sean Davis starting week after week even though he looks completely lost on the field? Do you believe they don't see this in practice? I can see players having bad games but how many times do we see the entire team have bad games, if Ben is off it is bad but then you see receiver dropping balls, the special teams having mental lapses, and the defense just finding ways to let teams with no offense somehow run the ball. Coach Tomlin has had a franchise QB his entire career here yet he went to 2 SBs winning 1 and has not been able to do anything else since, why is that? We had a great end of season schedule last season and still had times it was tough when the defense couldn't hold leads late in the game, the Cowboys ring a bell? That is what we have on the field now, a past his prime Joe Haden is the only other quality player we added since that debacle, or how about the immaculate extension, when it took a late drive to win because Joe Flacco looked like the second coming of Joe Montana and managed to take the lead in a drive that took 52 seconds, or when fans are worried if the offense leaves more than 20 seconds on the clock because they know how easily teams can score, is that the super rebuilt defense he is responsible for? Well I guess we just crown him coach of the year, or wait, coach of the decade!!!! Yeah, that's it, he rebuilt the defense and does an awesome job of keeping his player focused to the point they are all on the same page every practice and every game, they just ooze excellence under coach T's leadership.....Phooey!!!!! They do what they want when they want and coach T lets it happen and the result is sloppy play with no game plan and it has been that way for years, so go ahead and spout those accolades but when the franchise QB is no more, and he looks like he is already gone, we'll see how well he can adjust, I'll bet you my house he won't look even close to competent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    In other words you think TomlinSux? :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    How much of this falls on the HEAD coach? None of it? :shrug:

It's Tomlin's responsibility to make sure the team is prepared, has the right game plan installed for a particular opponent and adjusts the game plan during the game if need be. Head coaches may get too much credit and too much blame at times but that's what they sign up for. I think there are a few criticisms that are indisputable with Tomlin and one of those is losing to (seemingly) inferior teams on a consistent basis costing us playoff seeding which has hurt us when we've had to go to Foxboro or Baltimore in January. This is a clear pattern in his coaching career at this point. His teams have a reputation of coming out flat, uninspired and unprepared against teams that, on paper, they should beat. As you say above, they fail to execute, don't play well and make crucial mistakes. But you know what, IMO THAT'S ON TOMLIN!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    We're covering old ground here, but Cowher didn't build his teams around the QB. Given where we were drafting and who was available that's just as well, I guess. But we shouldn't make out that Cowher would have won six Lombardis had he had a franchise QB. Hell, in the 90s we wouldn't have been able to keep one for more than a season or two.

My issue with the whole "wait until Ben retires to see how good Tomlin is" is that it oversimplifies things too much, and risks doing down the contribution of every other player on the team. Just as one example: having a franchise QB, plus several inherited aging players, has big cap implications which affects the talent pool available outside of those positions.

7. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    What, throwing 55 times against the NFLs #1 pass defense is not a good game plan?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    My thing, with this team, is the best ability is accountability, and this team has no one to enforce that. Start with the streaming by Brown last year after a victory.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    18.6 points per game by the offense with a franchise qb, the best rb in the league, the best wr in the league, the best o-line coach in the league, supposedly one of the best 0-lines in the league, one of the best wr coaches in the league, one of the best rb coaches in the league. hmmmmm.

the jags qb threw for under 100 yards on the day. (82)

the bears have one win. (against us) they also threw for under 100 yards. (84)

baltimore is scraping the bottom of the barrel for offensive players. http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/ravens-scraping-bottom-barrel-injury-replacements-offense/
    they are still tied with us for the divisional lead. again hmmmm.

MT is not responsible for any of this? really? :cool:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He certainly does have responsibility for this, and if it ends up derailing our season, you look at all of the facts after the season is over and make a rational (I.e. Non-knee jerk, non-emotional) assessment.

The thing is, there are a bunch of fans who will never give Tomlin his due. If things go badly for a week, they want his head. If things go well, it has nothing to do with him. He definitely has a high degree of ownership of what's happening now. However, he ALSO had a high degree of ownership of the 9 game winning streak that pulled last season out of the fire, but the bashers give him no credit for that. They point to a bad AFCCG (where our best offensive weapon for the game plan was injured a few plays into the game), and say "he sucks." It's HARD to win 9 must-win games in a row in the NFL. You want to talk failure? How about the Falcon's failure in the SB? Should they fire the guy that led them there?

There's a whole lot of irrational, illogical Tomlin hate on this board. The guy is not a perfect coach, but there are no perfect coaches. There's only one Bellechick, and he can only coach 1 franchise. Go beyond Bellechick, and you see a bunch of coaches with various flaws. Andy Reid is the darling of the NFL right now, but how many championships does he have? Pete Carroll had a great start in Seattle, but his tams haven't been terribly successful in the past few postseasons despite having a maturing franchise QB and a great defense. Mike McCarthy hasn't won a title since beating us despite having Rodgers. Quinn...well, just look at last year's SB.

Frankly it numbs my mind reading the illogical hate when we're sitting at 3-2 with an opportunity to come out of this weekend in great position. Talk to me in a month about where we stand. Better yet, talk to me after the season is over. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Looking at rankings is flawed. Teams don't play rankings. The opposition can make adjustments. For example, it's possible the Jags dared the Steelers to pass the ball by placing 8 or 9 guys near the line to stop the run. Should the offense force the run under those circumstances or pass the ball? You tell me coach.

The game plan of shorts screens and passing the ball worked early in the game. The offense was unable to convert opportunities into TDs. Then turnovers changed the complexion of the game. The Steelers fell behind with two quick pick 6's. I'm sure that forced the offense to pass the ball more than they would had liked.

It's unfortunate that people can't see beyond an agenda.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Difficult to break through to people that have agendas. When people doubt Tomlin and hold extremely negative views about his coaching ability then it's safe to say they want to see him fail. They want to see him fail so they can say they were right in regard to their negative position.

It's a good thing the ownership isn't as knee jerk as select fans.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yea i can almost see the press conference.

reporter: coach, how do you think your team did?

MT: well today and against the bears we stopped the pass. that's what fans have been clamoring for. we fixed that, obviously.:cool:

14. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    What gave it away?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Just wondering if you think the Jags dared the Jets to throw the ball with McCown as the QB and set out to stop the only thing that could of beat them(the run) I'm thinking that would be the logical thing to do.....guess what ? the Jets ran for 240 yards against them and won the game....supposed great offenses don't let the D dictate what they're gonna do...they make the D adjust to them. The INTs changed the course of the game because we went pass heavy ,not the opposite .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree. Some have made their judgements already, and anything good that happens will just be in spite of Tomlin in their eyes.

17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I root for Tomlin hell hes the coach and captains the ship... I just get tired of the inconsistency at times that seems to be getting more consistent. He's got his brain farts as does every other coach periodically. What I don't see is him reeling this crap in. He's a smart man and needs to insert himself into this mess and straighten it out. Maybe his message has soured I don't know, maybe the simple fixes some of us see here are really quite complex in their lab if you will... I don't know. It appears this team is a lot more separated underprepared and unwilling to adjust than it ever has in his reign as coach and it needs to be addressed.

It's not as simple as Ben sucks and lost it etc... There is locker room issues and it's glaringly apparent. If he can't fix player/coach relations, player/player relations, push coordinators to get creative, players to do their job or just get folks to buy into team concept, then he in fact has lost the pulse of the players and this **** is gonna get worse.

Winning today can turn things around, but it has to be a stepping stone that lasts and builds momentum. They can't continue to get up one week and lay an egg the next and allow every mouth breather to take a podium and invite the public into their bag of drama.

If it's Haley, then fire his ass. If it's diva mentality, then sit their ass. If the FO won't allow either, then I guess it's all for not anyhow.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2016
    So you're saying that if Cowher had drafted say..Dan Marino, he wouldn't have more Lombardi's?

19. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    2 different time lines... Now both Marino and Montana both of whom expressed interest later in their careers to come here could've been had, however the steelers under Cowher opted to ride with Neill O Donnell over Montana and the Dolphins weren't letting Marino go.

But yes, while nothing is guaranteed, either of those two coupled with the D back then would've made it very possible to pick up another trophy or 2!

20. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2016
    My bad..I thought Cowher had a chance to draft Marino and passed..

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Best QB ever available for Cowher to draft was Chad Pennington. Not sure what Dobbs is referring to with Montana unless hes talking about when he left the 9ers for KC. Both Marino and Montana were drafted in the 80's.

Cowher believed in ball control offense, he didnt feel a franchise QB was needed for that. He would have passed on Ben if not for Rooney.

22. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I guess technically Cowher could have drafted Drew Brees couldn't he? Didn't we draft Big Snack in the first round that year?

23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Using my same example different sport. Dan Bylsma was very successful during the regular season. Anybody out there still upset the Penguins got rid of him?

24. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Montana wanted to come to Pitt... FO decided to roll with o Donnell str8 from joe cools mouth

25. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Steelers under Tomlin are just such a weird team. Some very bad moments and they sometimes look in disarray yet they are 4-2 and 1st in their division.

• Agree Agree x 1