1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Coach T

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Terrible Towelie, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Terrible Towelie

Terrible Towelie Active Member

Oct 8, 2017
    i really dont understand sometimes as to why people give Coach Tomlin such a hard time. Its a hard league to win in, but from a standpoint of all around we easily have one of the top coaches in football, who .......in 5-10 more years will begin to carve his name into the history books as one of the greatest. And they will start to talk about coaches from his coaching tree.

To have an articulate coach, who holds our guys to such a high standard i think is something we overlook. I think without Coach T we are most likely sitting at 2-3 or 1-4 at best.

Yes we have talented players, but our organization is so lucky to have such a great motivator and also a good role model for our younger players to look up to. Yes against inferior teams we lose some games we shouldnt, but Im confident that after last weeks loss he will have our team motivated and in position to win a big game come sunday.

Im really shocked at the turnaround our team had from last year, into one of the most dynamic teams that he should be in the running easily for coach of the year.

Go Steelers!!!

• Hilarious x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Very Optimistic x 1
  2. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Well your avatar makes sense. Coaches that have successful coaching trees are guys that know the game and can turn good players into great ones, Tomlin isn't that guy. I'm glad you have that much confidence but he is nothing more than a glorified motivational speaker, he doesn't know how to game plan nor does he care do, and the performance of his team shows it. He has had a franchise QB since he came to the Steelers and over that time he has underachieved with the team that he had in place. The defense has gotten progressively worse during his tenure and now with the QB declining you can see the ship beginning to take on water and he doesn't have a bail. I'm sorry I disagree with your post but Tomlin hasn't shown that he is a great coach, he is "serviceable" if a coach can be that, he is just average at best.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/...slike-skeptical-of-matthew-stafford-in-week-6

The linked article contains, IMHO, a good summary of what you get with Ben, quarterback and personality, one that could be applied to a few more currently on the roster as well. I think when it comes to criticizing Tomlin, it's due to his tendencies as a player's coach. He's articulate, and has reasonable intelligence for the game, but isn't the guy that's going to rebuild a playbook, press a different scheme upon a coordinator, or hold his players accountable for playing specific roles in the success of said game plans or schemes. It's just not his management style.

I think the frustration comes from having a number of talented players on the roster that also seem to lack maturity, focus, and discipline at times, leading to an inconsistent, at times streaky, product on the field. No team is perfect, and I'm sure if we watched a similar team under the same microscope we do as fans of this one we'd see some blems as well. But the question becomes how many is too many, and would they be lessened with a coach of a more disciplined style.

For that, everyone is going to have an opinion. Personally, I feel this team would benefit from someone with a greater focus on details and fundamentals. But every coach has their pros and cons, and few have extended runs of success - which purely from his team's status as a perennial playoff contender Tomlin could be argued to have had - still, the perceived underachievement through sloppy play, drama, etc., get many (times ten after a loss) demanding Tomlin be sent to the curb for a different option who may - or very well may not by the statistics of success in NFL head coaches - be an improvement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If I was a coach with a QB of Bens natural talent and lack of mental attitude and preparation, I'd be frustrated. Then surround that with a bunch of me first people and social media, it's a formula for disaster.

Belicheat with his no bull**** attitude and Brady with his work ethic are why they are better than 31 other teams.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm waiting too see how good of a Coach Tomlin is once he doesn't have a Franchise QB anymore.

He's had one since he has been here.

Tomlin is really had better number than Cowher to this point of their coaching careers.

Cowher never had a franchise guy, until Ben arrived and that was only 3 seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Are you watching the same coach I am? The one that stands on the sidelines not saying a word to anyone after giving up huge plays on defense.

I think he's the most overrated coach in the league. With the talent that we have they should be cruising to the AFC North title with ease. Instead we have a team with no identity.

Running for coach of the year? I wouldn't even put him in the top 15.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I like Bum Phillips' definition of a good head coach (actually referring to Don Shula):

"He can take your'n and beat his'n and his'n and beat your'n."

Tomlin, by his own admission, is a "fundamentalist as opposed to scheme". That's why Tomlin always seems to struggle with coaches who are better at scheming an effective gameplan. Tomlin has some good qualities and I believe he's a good coach. But he's not a great coach and it appears his career is going to be defined by squandering massively talented teams and losing to inferior opponents. His clock management and replay challenges have bordered on pure stupidity at times! I realize he's never had a losing season and there's something to be said for that, but too often the Steelers have had to settle for mediocrity instead of achieving greatness. When they've had the talent to compete for the number one or two seed they've been fighting it out for a playoff spot, hoping to back in to the number six seed, at times having their fate in another team's hands. The bottom line is that at this point Tomlin has underachieved as a head coach given the talent he's had to work with, especially considering that he's had an elite franchise quarterback his entire coaching career.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think MT could have easily won coach of the year last season.

This idea that he isnt a good coach is baffling to me but Im at the point where Im wondering maybe we could find a better coach.

One specifically that dosen't allow these eggs we've witnessed so many of like last weeks. And I have mixed emotions for feeling that way because how many coaches overcome 5 Ints but those types of let down games are just too common and fair or unfair, hes the HC, buck stops with him.

9. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

lol Just say no to drugs. The guy is garbage , just now people are beginning to see what I've been talking about for the past 3 years. This team needs more than a cheerleader, they need a real coach that players will respect and listen too, this team is made up of your hot head punks who need their ass kicked once in awhile. Where's Ditka?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats just hating. Haters gonna hate. Clearly did a great job last year. Man up and give him credit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Forget giving him credit for last year. The immaculate extension was a dumbass play. If AB doesn't make that heroic play, they lose the game and probably don't make the playoffs (Balt mailed it in the last game). The prior year the Steelers made the playoffs they needed the Jets to get upset by the Bills. Everything is by the skin of the teeth with this team, where they have the talent to dominate. MT has cost the franchise more rings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So the players get no blame when they suck like last week and its all MT's fault but when they make a play like AB in the Ravens game, its all the players doing and no credit to the coaches.

Ok, I got it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I'm good with blaming both sides and I typically fault the players and their execution more than any coach. I just feel the Steelers have won more in spite of MT rather than because of him. They've been average for the last 7 years, and I cannot imagine them doing worse with another HC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Another thread about whether Tomlin is or isn't a good coach. How refreshingly different!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Hard to believe that fans are this ignorant.

Tomlin knows the game. He wouldn't had become a position coach, DC, and finally a HC if he didn't know the game.

Tomlin didn't help to turn good players into great players? Quite a few players have blossomed under Tomlin and this coaching staff. Brown, Bell, Decastro, Heyward, and Gilbert just to name some. There were/are others.

I don't see how the team under achieved since Tomlin arrived. The way I see it is some fan's expectations are completely unrealistic.

What are you talking about? Tomlin has helped this team rebuild the defense. If it wasn't for an underachieving offense this team might be undefeated. Ben is the number one reason why the offense has underachieved up to this point.

People been saying the ship took on water for a long time. The Steelers continue to compete and win with Tomlin as the HC.

Seriously, how does an only serviceable coach last 10 years with a great organization like the Steelers?

People that come up with this stuff don't have much ground to stand on. Simply because the Steelers continue to compete and most importantly win with Tomlin has the HC. The Steelers won't win the Superbowl every year. Fans that expect the SB every year live with unrealistic expectations. It's difficult to talk sense into those folks though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Your first sentence says it all....he's a old school type of coach but this league has become more about scheme. It's not 4 yards and a cloud of dust anymore with all these new age mastermind OCs and DCs for that matter ,becoming more prevalent. It's probably one of the biggest reasons our RZ efficiency is terrible....there is no creativity. He may claim to be a fundamentalist but we are constantly being victimized by our own mistakes(poor tackling,penalties and a inconsistent effort week to week....
    He has some good qualities but clearly he needs to surround himself with better coordinators If his hands are tied it's unfortunate but if he has the autonomy to make changes and he doesn't recognize there is a problem...then shame on him and maybe it's time....

I think a bigger issue is the lack of control and inconsistent discipline he has when it comes to managing the personalities on this team. There is way too much chatter coming from this team on a daily basis and we will never reach our potential with the constant turmoil that seems to be around the team.
    James Harrison cut short a interview this week when asked about team leadership ,to me that's very telling and a dangerous sign....That me this is this the problem that needs addressing first and foremost. Football is a team sport more than any other. If they can't get it together off the field ...it's not gonna come together on it. Judging by all the comments and negativity that seems to be the norm coming from the team....maybe Tomlin has lost the team. If a "players coach" can't control his players....it might be time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers have been a better than average team (record wise) for the last 7 years. The Steelers made the playoffs 5 of the 7 seasons.

18. fansincethesixties

fansincethesixties Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2016
    My sentiments exactly...Tomlin is a master, and I mean, MASTER, of doublespeak. When asked an interviewer's question he goes on and on with this BS rhetoric that makes me scratch my bald head and say WTF? I remember like it was yesterday the day he was hired to coach our Steelers. One of his first comments was the one about playing "like your hair's on fire." I'm thinking to myself, right on, dude...we got us a coach!!!! Wrong. Times change...attitudes of players change...attitudes of coaches change. It's a fact right there in front of us. How many of these "me first" players would have a hat on Sunday under a Noll regime. Few.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I think you are giving him too much credit as a “glorified motivational speaker”, but I guess he needs to be good at something. No team discipline, lack of control, no game planning, always gets out coached, no in game adjustments, horrible in game management, consistently loses to sub par teams and let’s back into the playoffs again with a math equation.....been saying this for years, but as I said in another post...”the standard will be the standard” until his contract is up, so we are stuck with Mr. Philosophical for some time. Although not a big fan, Mr. Bill in New England always does more with less talent and always takes his team to the limit with little to no bs. If he had our talent, the Pats would be in the SB every year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Oh but this one is different. haha

21. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Coach speak is a form of entertainment for the fans and the media. The fact that some of you don't understand that makes me chuckle. Some coaches are better entertainers than others.

What's been proven is that we had/have ourselves coach. It's always about what a team does on the field and not what a coach said or says. The Steelers have done pretty well under Tomlin.

22. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    HEY GUYS, I FOUND COACH TOMLINS ACCOUNT!!!

23. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    The Steelers won’t win the Super Bowl every year, but do you seriously see this team winning a Super Bowl in the next 10 years with Tomlin at the helm? I don’t, sadly. With all these egos with skills, a coach who was a game planner would have been a better option. But to be fair, after he won his Super Bowl, I thought we had a coach who would win one or two more. But unless we get a great leader/ player ( Reggie White, Drew Brees, etc) who can keep the egos in check....

24. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Peoples attitudes are so fickle from week to week. Around this time last season people didn't believe this team would make the playoffs. I can see this team winning another Superbowl with Tomlin as HC. The Steelers have been very close the past two seasons. The Steelers just made it to the AFCCG last season.

I honestly don't know how people have opinions like, "a coach who was a game planner would have been a better option." Plenty of what people believe are "game planning" HC's lose with the talent they have. Here is one problem with that opinion. People don't know how much Tomlin is or isn't involved in the game plans. The fact remains is that this team wins with Tomlin as HC.

Leadership hasn't been the major issue this season. Poor execution, poor play, and mistakes on the field have been the major problem. The team can still turn it around on the field. The team will be better if Ben can play better on a more consistent basis. The offense needs to score more points.

25. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    Hey, as a Steeler fan, I hope you’re right and I’m wrong. But right now, IMO, Tomlin is Barry Switzer 2.0.