1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Coach T Meets With Goodell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Nov 18, 2011.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Coach Tomlin met with Godell in NYC yesterday about player safety, rules, and illegal hits.
    Story on NFL.com. I wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall in that office. :popcorn:

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :this!: Hope some good comes out of it. I liked the part where it said other teams have done the same. Maybe everyone is getting tired of the bs and want to remind Goodell who he works for.

3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I wish something good would come out of meetings like this and we'd end up with more consistency with penalty calls and fines.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    :good:

I'm presuming Coach T will take the time to remind Roger that "this is a violent sport..."

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That would be lovely. Here's a follow up, I guess Mr. Rooney was there as well. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11322/1190935-100.stm

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He's a great guy to send. Smart, cool under pressure, and very much on our side. However he's also not one to get himself in trouble, which I wish he would a little for this. The commish can't really hurt him, and it would make a huge statement to see some fire coming out of a coach instead of just some players who had their wallets lightened.

7. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    It would have been funny if he would have just placed a belt with two flags on his desk and walked out. It would have spoken loudly for everything he was just about to say.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope also that Tomlin pointed out to Goofell that when you tackle someone, that the laws of physics says that your helmet is going to make contact as well.

9. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I hope he also pointed out to Ol' Roger that unlike Goodell, who's head is up his ass, most people's head is on top of their shoulders. therefore, it is physically impossible to hit with your shoulder without "leading with your head."

10. grahamburgher

grahamburgher Active Member

Nov 9, 2011
    I hope he brought tape of Ray Ray's hit on Hines and the hit on Miller to compare w/ Clark's.

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    While I applaud the effort of Mr. Rooney to schedule this meeting, Goodell is a total POS through-and-through and nothing will come of this. We'll still see the same BS calls on the field and inconsistent fines from the league office. The degradation of NFL football as we have grown/known to love will continue.

12. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yep I think he was wasting his time....nothing will change except more penalties against the steelers

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Goodell works for the owners, if enough of the owners are telling him to dial it down and he doesn't listen, wouldn't he be out of a job soon? I doubt they would do anything during his term but they certainly don't have to bring him back as commish. I would think that would be enough motivation for Goodell. One can hope anyway :beg:

14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Goodell works for the owners, if enough of the owners are telling him to dial it down and he doesn't listen, wouldn't he be out of a job soon? I doubt they would do anything during his term but they certainly don't have to bring him back as commish. I would think that would be enough motivation for Goodell. One can hope anyway :beg:[/quote:18wac5na]
    Yeah that seems to make sense. Let me ask you guys this question. Generally speaking, what is the primary goal of an NFL owner? Is it primarily bout making money / growing margins / increasing the value of their investment? Is it to be a pillar of the community they are in / give back and promote charities and youth sports, etc? Is it to win championships? Is to put their city on the map? Is it to nurture young men/athletes and teach them what it means to be responsible men/fathers/husbands who give of themselves? Or something else?

I don't see the owners clamoring to remove ole Rog unfortunately because he seems to be doing what they are paying him to do - make them money. And at the end of the day, the primary objective of an NFL owner is to make money, and ole Rog is helping them do just that. Whether or not we like where the game is going or not.....
    The bottom line is the bottom line and Goodell has been good for the owners from a financial and increasing the value of their investment standpoint.

15. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    Goodell works for the owners, if enough of the owners are telling him to dial it down and he doesn't listen, wouldn't he be out of a job soon? I doubt they would do anything during his term but they certainly don't have to bring him back as commish. I would think that would be enough motivation for Goodell. One can hope anyway :beg:[/quote]

Speaking of wich, when is his TERM UP? Not soon enough!

16. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree that Goodell's primary role is to make the owners money but that could bite them in the long run. Sports like NASCAR have shown what happens when you kill the golden goose and lose your core fans.

17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I hope he also pointed out to Ol' Roger that unlike Goodell, who's head is up his ass, most people's head is on top of their shoulders. therefore, it is physically impossible to hit with your shoulder without "leading with your head."[/quote:2mbdzxoc]

:hehehe: this made me snigger

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah that seems to make sense. Let me ask you guys this question. Generally speaking, what is the primary goal of an NFL owner? Is it primarily bout making money / growing margins / increasing the value of their investment? Is it to be a pillar of the community they are in / give back and promote charities and youth sports, etc? Is it to win championships? Is to put their city on the map? Is it to nurture young men/athletes and teach them what it means to be responsible men/fathers/husbands who give of themselves? Or something else?

I don't see the owners clamoring to remove ole Rog unfortunately because he seems to be doing what they are paying him to do - make them money. And at the end of the day, the primary objective of an NFL owner is to make money, and ole Rog is helping them do just that. Whether or not we like where the game is going or not.....
    The bottom line is the bottom line and Goodell has been good for the owners from a financial and increasing the value of their investment standpoint.[/quote:35146n12]

True. But teams also make alot of money when they get to the playoffs. If they feel Goofell is being to heavy handed and is detrimental to their teams chances of making it to the playoffs they can certainly tell him he needs to back off a little. And as someone else said in this thread, it is this type of reshaping of a sport that hurt NASCAR.

19. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    Any news on the outcome of this meeting yet? :popcorn:

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I would have less of a problem with the player safety rules if they were applied equally. However, at the risk of sounding like a whiner/homer, I don't think that's happening. How about Ray Ray's helmet to helmet on Hines? The kind of call ALWAYS goes against our defense. Also, some of the shots that Ben takes would cause a shower of yellow cloth from all corners of the field if it were Brady taking the hit.

21. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The only things they are going to say is that there was a discussion about what is legal and what is illegal, they watched some films, the meeting was beneficial, blah, blah, blah.