1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

coach openings

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by darcrav, Jan 2, 2017.

1. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    hope we don't lose any

how many are there 6? how many more coming?

who goes where?

Buffalo

Jacksonville

Denver

San Diego

San Francisco

Los Angeles

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would think Todd Haley would have to be a candidate for one of these openings. I am not sure Munch is , but these two would be my guess? Quick question, which would you consider
    the best job?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  3. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    I think there are some good coaches that got axed, and can be back in the game real quick. And some real good head coach material out there to be had.

Among guys that got fired, but are quality coaches, I see 3 guys that fit the bill.
    San Diego fired Mike McCoy, but he is a fine coach, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in Denver.
    The Rams fired Jeff Fisher, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him land in San Francisco.
    The Buffalo Bills fired Rex Ryan, and LA loves a circus and a showtime, so Rex would be a good fit with the Rams, and play some hard nosed football.

I think John Gruden is ready for a comeback.
    Sean Payton wants to leave New Orleans, and maybe Gruden would land there.

Jim Schwartz is a quality coach, and Buffalo would be a good fit for him. Buffalo went 8-8 and could have gone 10-6 easily, so he has something to work with.

I think Eric Mangini is a great football mind, and he learned a lesson about his coaching style when he had his shot and blew it because he lost the players. He worked for Belichick for a long time, and he would be great in San Diego.

Jacksonville will try to hire Josh McDaniels from the Pats, but he is an over-rated coach because Brady makes him look good. The Jags get a high pick this year and will have a shot at the best QB, which is just about the only thing they're missing. Tom Coughlin could probably be lured back to J-ville. If not, Payton makes sense, since he is a QB guru.

Todd Haley built a good team in KC, and he has done a great job in Pittsburgh. He has to be on everybody's radar, but I think he will stay in Pittsburgh until Ben Retires, or he is offered an ideal job - like the one in Buffalo right now. Haley likes a running game, and the Bills would fit Haley perfectly; so would Washington. Actually, Haley would win big with the Chargers right away, they have an elite QB and quality RB in Gordon. Plus TE Gates.

4. steeler guru

Feb 28, 2015
    Obviously the best job is Denver.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Denver. World class defense and an offense with room to grow.

Best talent out of the six.

6. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    wouldn't you want the challenge of building your own championship team?

I mean
    who ever goes to Denver and wins only does it with Kubiak's guys

7. steeler guru

Feb 28, 2015

If Denver would have made the playoffs this year, I would pick them to go to the Super Bowl, and lose.

Any coach would rather walk into that, than build with a loser.

Kubiak won with Fox's team, you never heard that mentioned when he won the super bowl last year.

Shanahan won a super bowl his first year with Reeves team, and faced Reeves and his Falcons in the Super Bowl.

Tomlin won with Cowhers team.

Whats his name won in San Fran with Walsh's team.

Mariucci won with whats his name's team in SF.

Flores won with Maddens team.

[what was that guys name that took over for Walsh in SF - George somethin?]

8. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not so sure Elway will let a coach have the full reins. I have to go with JAX.
    Lots of potential and talent.With the right coach they could be back in black.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All they need really is the right coach and one more impact player on defense. Someone like Jamal Adams (LSU, 6'1, 211 lbs.) with a good coach will put this team over the top in no time.

10. steeler guru

Feb 28, 2015
    Actually, Denver needs an impact RB, and a QB mentor to develop those 2 guys they have, Lynch and Sieman - they have serious potential.

If Denver gets an elite RB, look out. I'll bet you money that if Christian McCaffrey is there when Denver picks, they take him.
    Could you imagine if we get into a bidding war with Denver for BELL ?!!!
    They pay their QB peanuts, so they could pay Bell QB money, like 15 million a year. They could win back to back to back Super Bowls.

11. steeler guru

Feb 28, 2015

Elway already has Wade Phillips on the sideline as DC. I can't think of a better HC to step in for a year or two or three. Elway is sitting pretty right now.
    He would give Phillips the reins.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I also had stated Denver was the best option for a head coaching job as well. I never stated otherwise.

My comments predicated from what Jacksonville needs to compete and become relevant again.

13. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Denver is also in the same division as KC/Oakland?? Have you watched John Elway when Denver plays?
    He is not removed hell I have seen him with Ear phones.

14. steeler guru

Feb 28, 2015

I noticed that you stated that Denver was the best job, that's why I thought you were referring to them. You were responding to wardsmvp post concerning Elway allowing a coach to have the reins. Then you talked about the Jags?

Since you were talking about the Jags, I almost agree with you because they are stacked and play hard every week. But the Jags need more than the right coach and one more impact player on defense. The Jags are respectable, but they need a QB, depth, and a younger RB with speed, just to name a few.

15. steeler guru

Feb 28, 2015
    You would expect Elway to wear head phones as a GM. He is a former player, so he knows the playbook and understand the play calls. Maybe he just wants to hear the play call so he knows what to focus on while he watches.
    Most GM wouldn't wear headphones because they wouldn't understand the language anyway.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

To win the AFC South?

17. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd say Denver. They have a good defense and Elway is willing to go out and get guys to fill in the blanks. I'm really curious to see if he doesn't go after Romo really.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    George Seifert. A true legend...second only to Barry Switzer.

19. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    then
    Mike Tomlin

yep yep yep

20. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    blame it on the bossonova

21. steeler guru

Feb 28, 2015
    Romo turns 37 during the NFL draft this year. He has one or two years left.
    Romo would be wise to spend his last 2 years as a backup in Dallas and pick up 5m a year. He broke his back twice, collarbone twice, and has other injuries.
    Jerry Jones would be crazy to let the best backup QB to leave.

Elway probably wouldn't even consider Romo, he is pretty fragile and only serviceable as a backup.

22. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012

he brought in Peyton

23. steeler guru

Feb 28, 2015
    Are you comparing Romo to Peyton?

24. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    sort of

damaged inc..
    nonetheless

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Honestly at this point they might be somewhat comparable under this scenario. It's like you said that he has maybe a couple of years left. So did Peyton and he was definitely a shell of his former self when they won it all in Denver. He couldn't hardly throw it past 20 yards and was coming off a surgery when he got signed that even Indy didn't wanna risk keeping him. I'm not saying he'd get Peyton money but if he really wants a shot at winning a ring as a starter he might be willing to go there and be a game manager like Peyton was. I personally would take the easy money in Dallas if I were him too but athletes want to compete so who knows?