1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Clowney?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by 58stillers, Jan 1, 2014.

1. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Anyone else see clowney's stock dropping after the Wisconsin game?

i haven't seen the whole game but 2nd & 3rd quarters he sure seems to be missing in action?

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He's been MIA most of the season. He's become an ultra high risk, high reward type of prospect. I think someone will take a chance on him in the top 5-10, but if by chance he's there at #15 there's too much variability over what kind of pro he'll be for me to be comfortable with taking him at #15 AND changing his position to either OLB or 3-4DE in our scheme. If we played a 4-3, I'd be more comfortable. That said, I think it is moot. Even though he disappeared this season, the natural talent is too much for a 4-3 team to pass on early in the 1st. Just looking at the draft order ahead of us, I can see the Falcons at 6 taking him if he makes it that far. They need D-line help awfully bad.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am questioning his motor also,
    maybe I am wrong?

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, that's basically what I meant. The natural talent that the kid has is awesome, so what happened this year? I can't think of a good reason other than lack of effort. If it were an injury that he was playing through, and toughing it out, it would have been widely reported through the media so that he would be painted as a tough guy playing through pain for his team. Was he holding back to protect himself from getting injured? I don't know. Whatever the reason, I would be leery of spending a high value pick on him.

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't see it affecting his draft stick at all really. Teams doubled him all day, and schemed their game plans around him so they didn't have to deal with him. That strategy is almost impossible to do in the NFL, so he will see a lot more one on one match ups than he did at SC. He has so much potential because of his freakish size/athleticism combo, that there just isn't a scenario that I see where he gets picked outside the top 5. He has game changer potential.

The bottom line is that he was trying not to get hurt this year, and didn't. Because of that, he will very likely be a top 3 pick. It's a moot point for us anyways since we pick too late to worry about it.

6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    clowney is a beast. I get to see him a lot living down here in sec country and seen him twice in person. the problem this year was a little injured and everyone doubled him. south car also dropped him in coverage more this year. I heard it was to show he could do it and he can. not great at it but made some plays. got beat on a little pass to the flat yesterday for a td against wisc. the Tennessee game this year was built up as tiny Richardson vs clowney and he owed tiny. so tenn started doubling him. I have seen that some people think he will drop some because they think he took the year off. if he has a bad workout which I don't think he will he could fall some. not all the way to 15 but if he did it would be the steal of the century

7. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think he swallowed all the hype before the season started and rested on his laurels. Hugh red flags in my opinion and could fall in the draft. Would I take him at 15? No. Not only for his disappearing act in games but also because the scheme we run.

8. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I noticed Wisconsin ran a lot of plays to the right, away from him, and at times was double teamed. Sometimes he over pursued and just ran past the QB, without even trying to cut back inside, rather puzzling to me. The media's note of a blocked pass resulting in the INT is rather ridiculous, as Wisconsin's backup QB just hit him in the helmet with a bad pass attempt.

I've read he wouldn't be good as a 3-4 LB because of stiff ankle movements not equating to coverage skills, so not saying I'd be interested in him, just curious how all of these draft experts have him going top 5 with lackluster performances like yesterday.

9. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

Guy was double and triple teamed all year...

10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    He'll be a top 5 pick barring something unforeseen. As mentioned above, he was double-teamed and chipped regularly. He was also battling a foot injury most of the season.

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah we should be so lucky to have that decision whether to take him or not. When he hits the combine any doubts the scouts may have will be gone quick.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If the guy comes to play, he'll be an incredible force.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He believed his own hype and coasted the whole season, I could see Atlanta drafting him.

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I can finally agree with something here,
    there must be a Santa Clause!

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If it happens again, I might start believing in the Easter Bunny too!

16. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He will be the first defensive player selected and will go top 5 at worst.

17. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    :applaud: Thank God somebody knows what they're talking about!