1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

CLAYPOOL TRADED TO BEARS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jrompola, Nov 1, 2022.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I wouldn't mind seeing Pickens line up all over the field. Claypool wasn't doing anything Pickens can't.

Pickens only 3 targets vs Eagles.

And let's be honest ... Claypool wasn't re-signing here.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Johnson makes too much money to get this sort of value in return.

3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Why? He showed his upside his rookie year. Last two years he's had an aging QB and rookie and Matt Canada as his OC.

I'm not going to act like we fleeced the Bears because we could look silly in a few years. It's just the right decision for everybody involved. We don't need him with Pickens and we weren't going to pay him next year.

Claypool can be a deep threat. He can run trick plays and catch, run, and throw TDs. I honestly don't get why a team like the Bills wouldn't have made a play. Late 1st or early 2nd same thing almost. Claypool can run that redzone option that the Chiefs do with Kelce. It's going to come down to Bills and Chiefs and that's 50/50 and comes down to injuries. I think Claypool and Cam Hayward could tip the favor in the Bills way. So draft picks or a Super Bowl?

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Why do people keep posting this? Claypool is much cheaper, so he has a lot more value. If they could have had the same pick for either guy, your comment would have made sense, but I doubt that was the case.

5. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Sims looked pretty good when he ran one vs Eagles.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, they wouldn't. Metcalf was gone before the Steelers picked. Please stop telling that lie.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    As much as I like Robert Trujillo, Metallica would have kicked ass with Les Claypool.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Claypool tried out for Metallica after Burton died. Hetfield said that Claypool was too good and had his own thing going. Hetfield was right. Newsted was a better fit in 1987.

Claypool's talent would have been wasted under the regime of Ulrich and Hetfield.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Newsted has gotten a little weird the last few years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    With 3 picks in the top 45 of the draft the Steelers have to hit on all of 3 of them next year. There can't be any Artie Burns or Jarvis Jones type picks next spring. This could be the most important draft since the 70's the front office can't whiff on these picks next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011

I still think its a good trade. But I'm with you this guy will Bills will Josh Allen be so good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

So its your thought that Claypool is why Pickens only got 3 targets?

HACK

13. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Outstanding trade!!!! Steelers won that trade. No way is Claypool worth a 2nd round pick. He is only worth a late 3rd round pick at best.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    We have to draft players who are so good and mature that they won't regress with the Steelers. He wasn't one of them. Will be interesting to see how he does in Chicago.

15. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Only because the traded that 2nd for Bush

HACK

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Mixed feelings about this. Been a Claypool fan since his ND days but he also had not been playing to his potential. I’m sure a lot of that had to do with this Mickey Mouse offense though and some of it was definitely Claypools doing.

Bears original 2nd round pick makes this go down easier though.

I said it seemed like they were featuring him in the offense suddenly for a a trade. Without a 2nd rd pick in return, I doubt this trade gets made. They held out for a high return and got it. Good work by Khan.

@biggbunch68 guess the board was right to be discussing it :taunt:

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I was against trading him when it was being mooted over the past week or so but I never imagined that they’d get a high second round pick in return for him.

They will miss him on the field the rest of this season but the trade is a no brainer, the Bears have overpaid here.

Huge huge draft coming up in 2023 now, they need a major injection of young talent with those three picks in the top 50.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not sure how I feel about this trade. Pickens hasn't been as involved in the game as we should have him. He is getting double teamed and Defenses had to contend with Claypool and D.Johnson. With Johnson dropping every other ball, Pickens will be the Defense's only concern. Hopefully, we can get a good OL draft next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I agree

I guess your right abt discussing it, but i wouldn't have made the trade.. Over 2000 yrds and in a Mickie mouse offense, i would not consider him being a disappointment here.. a lot of it prob had to do with him calling out Canada

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dhazer

Dhazer Member

Oct 21, 2022
    As a Packer fan I am glad the Packers didn't get the trade as they also offered a 2nd the word has it, but with people saying the Bears are going to suck better rethink things. They have been moving the ball with no wide outs against some good defenses lately and the biggest thing is they have $115 million in cap space next year, that's alot of money to go after free agents. But as I said the good thing is next year's free agents don't look that great lol. I am guessing that 2nd round pick will be around the 12- 16th pick in the round or package that with a 3rd and move back into the 1st?

I am curious to see what Pickens does now and if they will put Austin in the slot and utilize him like the Chiefs did with Hill and Hardman.

21. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Who’s gonna throw the games single TD pass now?!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. rcoplien

rcoplien Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Yeah because Canada is a piece of ****t coordinator. I would be complaining about him too half the Steeler fans do already

23. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    YES! We shall see I guess ...

24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    pickens played very little slot at Georgia. Leave pickens outside and move either simms or Boykin to the slot. Claypool was largely an abortion in the slot. He drifted through zones, his routes were generally garbage, his blocking sucked…

• Like Like x 1
  25. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Claypool to Chicago and in return we get a 2023 2nd round pick and Abe Froman.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3