1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Classic Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MadtownDruankard, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben likes to throw to other team.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    ---In the series before the fumble, I said to some fans at the bar "Anyone think Conner looks a bit tired and could use a breather? [no response] Neither ridley or samuels carried.

Ben reminded me of 2009 Ben. He took some [too many] hard shots yesterday. Probably had some flashbacks.

On the punt, I thought the ball hit him in the head [helmet] Game over!

3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    This is Fichtners offense now, they don't look any better than they did last year, he has to take the heat when they look bad, and get the glory when they look good, thats life for any NFL coordinator....

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    The Saints, a heavy NFC favorite, got manhandled by the Bucs yesterday. Jameis Winston less Bucs too. Not letting Tomlin off the hook, because he definitely deserves some of the blame, but that was a bad game by coaches, players and field conditions. Lets hope all involved get their heads out of their azzes because KC looked tough yesterday. That Mahomes-Hill connection looks dangerous.

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Looks like Burns will have to cover Hill. I hope this don't get ugly. Haden will probably be out until after the bye with a hamstring. Sutton needs to step up and improve.

I worry more about Hunt vs. our D, than Hill.

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Hard to blame Tomlin. It's typical Steelers football. Get the lead and pound the ball and run the clock instead of going for the jugular. Ben with two ints because he's forcing it to AB to keep the business boomin.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    It was not a loos. Admittedly a tie with the Browns feels like a loss. All wins, losses, and ties are on the coach. This is why they get fired and not the players. Preparing the team is on the coach. If the players fail it is on the coach because he failed to insure they were prepared to win.

8. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Tomlin and Fichtner got way too conservative way too soon. I really hate that. Why take your foot off the gas?!?!?!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This has been this team's MO for years and years. And it stems from the "old school" mentality of being respectful.

I've never bought into that line of thinking. If you can beat someone 77-3, do it. Why chance it and beat them 6-3? Obviously hyperbole here - but you get the gist. There are no "class points" in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    What is the one constant to all the years of thinking our offense is going to be great and then watching it fall short? I'll answer for you: Ben. As great as he is he is simply not a consistent performer that you can rely on. He needs to stop trying to be a freaking hero all the time and just be smart and take what is there. When we do that our offense rolls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Because it's Tomlin. He was acting like a two TD lead with a quarter to play was somehow insurmountable. He wouldn't let any other RB touch the ball either. 12 penalties for 116 yards sounds rather undisciplined too.

12. Steelsax

Steelsax Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    LOL, yeah, the "tie" felt like a loss. All I was trying to say is they had a 14 point lead with the ball going to get more. EVERYONE knew the game was in the bag for the Steelers. That is until Conner fumbled, even after that i wasn't too concerned until Ben fumbled. I just don't see how/why a lot of people pin that on Tomlin. I wouldn't say anything if when the Steelers did great Tomlin would get some credit. I sincerely believe if the Steelers went undefeated along with winning the SB there would be people on this board that would say the team did it in spite of Tomlin. I'm not saying Tomlin is perfect but man, the constant bashing gets old.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

"He doesn't have his top running back" - HE knew he wouldn't have Bell. 5 Turnovers, true not his fault. But it IS he fault the team is not prepared.

14. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I don't put this loss entirely on Tomlin as players have to execute BUT areas where I feel Tomlin AND BEN could have coached and or played better were:

1/ Sure Connor fumbled at a crucial point BUT why was there no help on Myles Garrett's side? When Conner took the handoff he had Garrett wrapping his arms around him almost as soon as he made his cut. The REAL crime here is that on the very next offensive series Garrett BEATS Decastro off the edge and strip sacks BEN. Either Ben has to move the protection or get the ball out quicker or something but that should have never happened

2/ Why did Connor have 31 carries in game 1? Why not let Ridley and Rosie get 6 to 8 carries to keep Connor fresh. I believe this came back to hurt them when they ran the ball later in the game and couldn't get 1st downs. The coaches have to spread the wealth for the TEAM to be successful. JC had a great game BUT its his 1st REAL game AND its the 1st game of the season, how much could he possibly have in the tank in OT?

3/ We had the Browns pinned behind their 20 on 3 separate occasions and allowed a 1st down to the Browns on all 3 occasions. My God we had them at 3rd and 13 and Tyrod ran for 15.....CANT HAPPEN. In games like this in inclement weather field position is everything.

4/ Say what you want but we hold onto players for too long. For me there's no need for Mccullers and Dupree to be where they are at in YEAR 5. Mccullers does not consistently get into the backfield, his motor stops on certain plays and Bud is a terrible situational pass rusher, the guy runs himself upfield 20 yards out of a play, has no power technique to the QB and has terrible hand technique. I believe if we had an Elvis Dumerville type on 3rd down with our current DB's we would be ok (Hello James? James Harrison are you doing anything for the next 20 weeks or so?) Alongside TJ Watt and I believe we would be better. I mean Bud Dupree had 5 combined tackles yesterday......5? TJ had 11 or 12 I believe and its in part because Dupree is never around the ball. I want to see Matthew Thomas and the rookie Olasunkanmi Adeniyi later down the stretch who I believe will pay greater dividends than Chick and LJ Fort and Dirty Red, who in my opinion are special teams guys only.

5/ Speaking of holding on for too long, I know its early BUT Vance Mcdonald is going to be a problem for us. Right now my friends have an over/under bet as to how many games he will play this year and how many consecutive games he will play. I say he plays 6 games, 2 1/2 consecutively......thats a problem. I hope I'm wrong but the man hasn't practiced fully in 6 weeks with a foot injury. Hopefully we cut ties early if this winds up being the case, no need to relive the Ladarius Greene situation.

6/ I do feel the team was prepared although I thought the O-Line would give me more in light of the L Bell situation. If anything I blame Tomlin for the teams lack of Discipline which showed itself again with Artie Burns and Can Sutton I believe. Burns for the obvious and Cam on the Browns drive when they marched down the field on us. Someone from the Steelers hit the Browns RB out of bounds after he picked up the first down but then he proceeded to get in his face and jaw. I'm saying to myself "dude really"? the guy just ran all over you, if you want to shut him up then get him and the Browns Offense off the field.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  15. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Where it was tomlin's fault was later in the game going conservative on the D and only rushing 3 or 4 and letting Tyrod pick you apart in the zone. Taylor is actually a good zone quarterback, he struggles with Man coverage. Also when you apply the pressure it helps the secondary out. even the announcers asked why TJ watt was in the middle of the field so much all of a sudden when he had been wreaking havoc on the browns all day.

Tomlin is also to blame for allowing Ben to sit thru pretty much 99 percent of the preseason. Did nobody else see how in accurate alot of his passes were? Game one against a division rival is not the game to shake off the rust.

And yes going for the field goal when watching Boswell barely make extra points was stupid. I knew he was missing that before they even lined up for it based on how his kicks had been going.

Ben and Tomlin deserve all the blame!

16. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Suggesting the team was not prepared is dumb logic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    There is an problem on this team. We saw it with Burns and his two penalties on the same play-one being negated, the other Unsp Conduct accepted.

He was put on the field after a play or two (I don’t recall offhand).

As soon as Sutton’s Int occurred, another Steelers backer took his helmet off while on the field in celebraration-another teammate helped him put it on quickly and no penalty was called-luckily.

These are automatic flags. If Burns was benched, would the other Steeler that game or any other Steeler maybe think twice about his helmet?

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    So if Boswell made that FG to win the game, would you still be saying they weren't prepared to win?

19. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    Considering how they played and who they would have beat by 3 points, yes I would have said the were not properly prepared to play winning football.

20. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    I managed a "sales team." If as a whole we did not make quota, I would have been fired. A couple of the worst performing salespersons would have been fired as well. It is the manager's (coach's) responsibility to insure everyone succeeds. The company I worked for was like the Steelers, winners. Failure was not tolerated and excuses were not allowed. If you see a couple of problem employees (players) you fire them (bench them). Replace them and get back on quota. The coach is responsible for HIS team's success and failure.

21. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Great first post. Word of advice, some people will always think Tomlin does no wrong, even when he is wrong. :facepalm:

22. Steelsax

Oct 25, 2011
    People have no problem holding Tomlin responsible for the team's failures but will not say he's responsible for the team's successes

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steelsax

Oct 25, 2011
    And the reverse is also true - some people will always think Tomlin never does anything right, even when he does do things right. Not saying he's not perfect, not even the great Belichick is perfect!

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Pending Tomlin is fired at the end of the season (Unlikely), how would y'all feel about Jeff Fisher, Cowher, or even Gary Kubiak as head coach?

25. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015