1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cj Stroud

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Joel Ritenour, Nov 26, 2022.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Regarding CJ Stroud, I would honestly rather have Pickett despite Stroud having the better arm talent... though not by much imo. Stroud is best when not just in rhythm but in the Pocket. He can move outside the pocket and make throws but not nearly as well as Pickett can. My biggest issue though is one that sadly has been the hallmark of many Ohio State QBs; talent heavy. Now, having talent around any QB is a pre requisite if not essential. That aspect I am not worried about with CJ. What I have been worried about many of these Ohio State QBs is the same question; is the QB the reason why this high end talent is doing so well or is it the high end talent that is allowing the QB to flourish?! Even Fields had far more talent and potential coming out than Stroud did despite Stroud being a better pure passer than Fields. Fields was just simply raw overall in his overall Passing and Throwing Mechanics; still is but much improved. While Stroud does not have to worry about his overall Passing Mechanics, his throwing motion could use a bit of tuning. An elongated release is sure to have some power behind it but the time required to use said release is already considerable. Doing that in the NFL is going to get one walloped pretty good.

Overall and, if given the two, I would still go Pickett. Stroud is younger and therefore, by default, his potential is greater but Pickett coming out was more of a mobile threat and has showcased to me he is better utilized for multiple sets of Offenses. I do believe that Stroud can run an RPO, West Coast or even Air Coryell Offense... I just would rather have him run a Erhardt Perkins or Pro Style one... though the latter already has many College concepts. In addition, Kenny showcased to me he is capable of winning games despite not having elite talent around him... sans Jordan Addison of course.

I cannot say the same for CJ Stroud. For that matter, it will be difficult to determine until he gets into the league where the playing field will be even.