1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

City of Pittsburgh exploring the probably of an NBA team

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by Animus, Feb 10, 2024.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020

I'd personally rather the city aim more for a MLS team. The market is probably too small for another winter sport but could have enough people willing to invest in a 2nd summer sport.

2. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I remember Connie Hawkins

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    On the Pgh Rens as I recall. Rens as in Renaissance vs Wrens. The son of my Mom's best friend played on the Cleveland (?) team in that league and he got us all tickets when they came into town to play.

Edit - never mind, he played for the Detroit Pistons for a few years (67-68) in the NBA. Not sure how he got us tix for an ABA game with the Rens. Fuzzy memories.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Yep. He also played for the pipers

5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I was at the ABA Championship game in 1968 and we won. I use to take the bus and go to about 4-5 games a season. When I tell people I have 14 Pittsburgh Championships in my life I do not count the Pipers/Condors or the Pitt Panthers National Championship in the 70's. I should but not many know about the ABA.

Pittsburgh in the 70's: 4 Superbowls, 2 World Series and 1 NCAA Championship. That was one hell of a decade for Pittsburgh!!

6. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Let us not forget Chico Vaughn. He helped win that 68 ABA Championship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Now as to the Burgh getting an NBA team I say no way. Yes, they'd probably get as many fans at games as the Pirates and they'd all be Pittsburgh fans. When I use to attend a Pirate game at PNC I felt the other team had more fans.

I have lived in Sixers country most my life. Only Philadelphia team I wouldn't mind seeing win a Championship. I'm not a NBA fan and not sure if I'd be a fan of a Pittsburgh BB team.

8. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I could have saved them $90k. I would call the league office and ask what the chances are. Slim to none? That’s what I thought!

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Gonna calls 'em 'The Squirrels'. I just wanna hear a room full of Yinzers chanting, 'Let's Go Squirrels'! LOL!

10. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Yea, the premise of my op hinting at this fact. Not enough eyeballs in a small market with a declining population. Which is kinda why I pointed at an alternative of a spring/summer league where the competition for viewership and attendance isn't as great.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Was great.

• Agree Agree x 2