1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Christian MaCaffery

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by francobettis, Feb 9, 2017.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I like this kid from Stanford. Can do it all. If he doesn't get pick by the 32nd pick, Patriots will get him. he is the Edelman, Welker typer of player but with more ability. If he goes to the patriots, he'll be unstoppable.

actually, his running style reminds me of Levon Bell with his patient looking for holes to run and bursts through the hole like a bullet. He also is a great kickoff and punt returner. Is he worth taking at 30? or someone will take him earlier?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe he would be a spot starter, great special team player. Sort of like the guy
    the Chiefs employ Tyreke Hill without the baggage. I see him going to Denver
    were his dad played.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Denver could definitely use some certainty at the RB position, but their offensive line is a mess.

4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    We can't draft someone because team A, B, or C wants them. Look at how that worked for the Bemgals this year.

5. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    We have more important holes to fill, so I'd pass on a RB at 30 unless Cook or Fournette fell - but fat chance of that happening.

For depth, look into RB Elijah Hood - N. Carolina / maybe some time in the middle rounds. He was grossly underused there because of the offense they run. He is 6'0 and 220. Well built. There was a game or two when he seemed to average 10 YPC.

BTW - I am a Tarheel...so hence the bias.

6. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Not a fan. He sees a hole and runs as fast as he can. He doeant adjust to people attacking him. He just tries to outrun everyone.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not worth taking at #30 for the Steelers, too many other pressing needs.

8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Not true, he is one of the best at making defenders miss tackles, he is great at picking his way through defenders, now you see him and now you dont, he was a natural in college, can he bring it to the NFL level where defenders are faster, that remains to be seen, but he was fun to watch in college...........

9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am on the MaCaffrey bandwagon all off season. Yeah we have bigger needs like edge rusher, Cb and S but IMO this kid is a play maker. I think you put this kid in our offense and he could be very good. He also helps us in case Bell leaves via FA or gets hurt, we all saw what happens when we lose a talent like Bell. I have started looking at RB's who are more then runners so that if and when Bell goes down or leaves we have someone who could step in and have the same skills and we don't have to get away from our game plan. Could we get a guy later in the draft with this type of skill set yeah I feel we can, guys like Hunt and McGuire are guys I have really come to like. However the same can be said at our other positions of need.

Edge rusher is loaded with guys from rounds 2-5, Willis, Phillips, Dimick, Fields, Wise, Henderickson and Kpassagnon to just name a few

CB is pretty good as well, Tankersley, King(s), Moreau, Wilson and a few more later on.

I just feel if we went MaCaffrey in the 1st we still could hit big time in other position. Also if we don't take him we could still find a guy later on, I have no problem picking him and if we don't I won't be upset either, but I do like his fit in this offense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011

First off I want to say I like MaCaffrey's game, now to debate whether the Steelers could use him enough to justify
    such a high selection. Lets assume for discussion purposes that AB, BELL, Bryant, Green come back and play for the Steelers.
    How many touches do you feel Mac, would get. I am betting it would be limited except on special teams. Safety, OLB, DE, Depending
    on what Timmons does ILB in that order. Unless of course the Steelers make a deal for QB:)

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Very good point Mac but let me say a couple things. I really like the MaCaffrey pick not just for this year but more of next 2-3 years. Let's say Bell is healthy this year that is fine cause it is very hard for a rookie to come in and produce. He would have a whole year to learn and be even better the years to come. Also depending on what we do with Bell contract wise this may be a smarter pick then you think. Let's say we tag Bell and don't work out a deal and end up losing him after next year. Bringing in a talent like MaCaffrey to learn one year and be ready next imo is a smart move. Now let's say we sign both Bell and AB long term, that will be a ton of cap space. So having a guy like MaCaffrey who I feel is very talented and hopefully would be able to step right in at a very good price the next 4 years is big time. This all comes down to me feeling that if Bell goes down we may not be done with a guy like MaCaffrey as a back up, I also feel this way with Hunt and McGuire later in the draft so I feel we have options in the first round.

I really like this draft more and more in rounds 2-4 maybe even past that. I feel there is a guy at every one of our needs that we could find a quality player later on, so just cause we have a need don't mean we need to address it in the 1st round.

For example edge rusher I like Rivers maybe in the 3rd, S I like Jerome in the 3rd ish and I said RB above. I think BPA in the first and we all have different opinions on that but like I said this draft is deep and I can see starters coming from rounds 3-4, jmo :cool:

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steeler aren't taking MaCaffrey in the first rd nor should they. Colbert just said he wants Bell to retire a Steeler, I doubt RB is on his radar in the first.

If there was absolutely nothing else of value left at 30, then maybe but I dont see that happening.

I'd be for it in rd 3 but he'll never make it that far.

The main need is still defense, hoping to see the first 2 rds used on that again.

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I have no problem with Macaffrey in the 1st for the reason I have listed in this thread and other ones. I also have no problem with not picking him as well for the reasons you pointed out. Like I said there is value up and down this draft at a lot of positions and I really feel our options are open in the first. Macaffrey is not my guy but I certainly wouldn't be pissed if we took him. jmo

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm with NY S F......I don't see the value with the OLB group at least not who we will probably have to choose from. If a CB or even a Safety that we have highly rated falls into our laps like a SJ I would be happy with that pick. I still say our O is and should be our strength,the question is "will " it be. There are a lot of ifs we are counting on and we will have a repeat of this year if Bryant ,Green, Coates or any 2 in that equation aren't playing and productive. I would take Howard or Njoku if they were on the board because they aren't just TEs they are like giant WRs that can help fill some of the voids the aforementioned will create. I consider those TEs insurance for both Bryant and Green.
    This brings me back to Mccaffrey,he isn't just a RB he is a Swiss Army Knife on offense and the things they could do with both him and Bell is endless. Throw in his STs value and we can finally determine whether Danny Smith is officially the bumb we think he is:smiley1:.
    He is a very smart player (we an use a few more of those) from a football family whose training and work ethic are off the charts. A high scoring"consistent " offense makes our young Ds job easier....

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think edge is our #1 need, but beyond that I think another playmaker on offense is as much a need as anything else. Our offense lacked punch against decent defenses, and was a red zone wasteland in our last 2 playoff games. If I was sure that Bryant and Green would be back and productive, I may feel differently. But those guys are realistically 50/50 at best, albeit for different reasons. An additional offensive playmaker would be very helpful, and could help take pressure off the defense by actually scoring points. A guy who can play RB and be a receiving threat in the slot, plus being a quality returner, would be an asset. Is McCaffery that guy? I don't know because I haven't watched him other than just watching a few Stanford games in the past couple of years, plus numerous highlights. If the highlight-reel guy is the every down guy, then yeah, he would have good value at 30 IMO.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think it would be a waste of a pick with Bell on the field. And we have Rogers in the slot and Ayers can play the slot too. I dont see where he would get any touches over those guys.

A wr that could replace Bryant would make more sense. He's the reason the offense suffered. Or Id take a field stretching TE. I think between Bryant and Coates, we'll be fine there, its Green Ive lost faith in the ability to stay on the field.

17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok so lets take Bryant and Green out of the equation, do any of you still really
    feel that Todd Haley could still give MaCaffery enough touches to justify a first round pick?
    We are never beating Tom Brady with the defensive we have, if they don't make a deal for a Qb
    then defense should be at the very least first 4 picks.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

SE, this is exactly how I feel. Other then a few games here and there I haven't watched McCaffrey play but have heard and read enough to think imo he is a nice fit for us at 30. Now I want to point out to those that are worrying about getting him enough touches to justify a 1st round pick. This is not just about getting him on the field WITH Bell, this is more of having a solid back up if and when Bell isn't on the field. Bell is a FA we all heard that we are at least going to franchise him. Fine that covers us this coming year but what if we don't tag him and/or if we only tag him and not work out a long term deal? Also what if Bell get hurt or suspended, where are we then? Sorry as much as DWill(FA) played we weren't the same offense. I also feel Fitz is nothing more than a back up, imo.

Now before you all start the "i am not wasting a 1st on a back up" argument, that's fine if you want to feel that way.....I don't. Everyone talks about how hard our defense is to learn, well RB is just as hard. Learning the blitz pick up is big time and very important when you have a QB who gets hurt a lot. This draft is loaded at a lot of positions, we can get a OLB maybe not of 1st round talent but do you have to be a 1st rounder to be good??? Let me as Jarvis Jones that question, or maybe James Harrison....I just while we need an Edge rusher we also need to upgrade at ILB, S and Slot CB. All this will help the back end of the defense, especially if you are only gonna rush 3 guys.

Back to McCaffrey which this is about, I want to point out other then last year name a year we were healthy going into the playoffs? A talent like McCaffrey would pay for itself if he turned into a big weapon if Bell went down. I am not saying I want McCaffrey in the 1st but I am not against it cause we are an offensive team and he have to make sure we stay that way. Yeah we have issues on D but just cause we don't draft there in the 1st don't mean it can't be fixed. There are OLB's up and down this draft and good ones, same about CB and S. TE is a deep class as is WR and yes I have pointed out guys like McGuire and Hunt as guys I like comparable to McCaffrey.

19. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    They need weapons to help out QB situation also. I am not so sure MCaaffery could be an every down back in the NFL. Who knows,
    I see him as a Reggie Bush type player.

20. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    McCafferey will be off the board in the 1st round long before we pick, I would say he gets drafted in the top 20 and rumor has it the chiefs want him at 27 and may even trade up to get him since jamaal charles most likely will be released.........

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    And that is fine I almost want him gone before us as I would love to have him but I feel we can get similar later one and I don't want the temptation of him being there for us. I like him but won't be broken hearted if we don't get him, I will say I really would like one of McCaffrey, Hunt or McGuire.

22. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Some talk the patriots will draft him at 32, but would they trade up to get him, he is a 3 position player that fits the mold of a BB type player.....

• Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he's good but we need the bang for the buck and i don't see a backup as that. we have a ton of money tied up on offense. if bryant has a good season like he is capable of having we will have to pay him too. rogers and ayers as good as they are in the slot for us are not guys that are going to put us over the top. a backup RB isn't going to do that either. we have solid backups at RB and we could add another solid backup possibly at that spot but you don't do that in the first round. a DHB or cobi hamilton are expendable if need be. i like cobi though but if we need that second WR to make a difference then that would make more sense but again not in the first until we find out about bryant. the need is too great in the defensive backfield or at LB. those are the weakest links. a higher draft pick at wr may be the best bet on offense too. i get goose bumps when i think about AB, bell, green, rogers and bryant all on the field with ben. a pass rusher or another DB on the defense would go a long way to having a team that can compete with NE if we have that type of offense. :cool:

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    We have seen what not having Bell does to this team and not knowing what his future with us is I have no problem taking a talent like this at 30. jmo

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we are not letting bell go when he is that much of our offense. you don't draft in the first round for what if. we have seen what we are like without ben or heath or bryant too. we have seen what we are like without an OLB and dupree too. or shazier. or any other starting spot. just makes no sense to draft for backups in the first. :cool: