1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Chris Hoke needs neck surgery, Season over

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by truckin9999, Dec 6, 2011.

1. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    So maybe this means he was not demoted for McLendon after all. If he comes back healthy next year, that will make for the most mysterious NT situation we've had in my memory. With Hampton making all that money, I really have no idea who will start among the three of them, let alone the order of depth. Too bad for Hoke, I love the guy.

3. hi0

hi0 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I've always liked Hokey. Doesn't complain about his less than stellar playing time yet always seems to play fairly well when he is given a chance. On the radio broadcasts, which is most often how I get the game (byproduct of driving all day -_-) I hear his name called on tackles a whole lot. Hopefully he gets healthy for next year, we'll certainly need him.

As far as Hampton goes, I think it's time we part ways. He's too old, too slow, and not nearly as strong as he was back in the day. He used to eat up the middle of the line, whenever I get a chance to see the game he's either not in the game two of the three downs or getting dominated. McClendon, Hoke, Kiesel and the other D-linemen we've got give us just as much as Hampton does with half the cost.

4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I've always been a fan of Hoke too. Inspired play and enthusiasm come to mind. Neck surgery is iffy at best, and God willing, he will return. If he can't, thanks for the years here, bud. Prayers sent for you and your family.

5. CalifBlack&Gold

CalifBlack&Gold Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Coached Chris in High School, one of the finest young men I have ever been around. Wish him the very best. He played for the Steelers just like he played in High School, un-selfished and full of enthusiasm. He was always a contributor to the success of the Black & Gold

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It's a shame to lose the depth. I wonder if we're looking at an NT high in the draft?

7. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    :hello: Cool! Chris has been one of my favorites for years. Love the way he plays, love the way he is. Hoping he comes back strong for next season.

8. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I hope not. I hope we don't, and I hope we don't need to. Ideally, Hoke will be back to assume some kind of role. McLendon will be there too, hopefully as a backup. I'm not as quick to give up on Casey as a lot of people. I think he could be here. Between the three of them, or even a combo of two we should be good for another year. Maybe we draft one in the middle rounds and groom him.

Three first round picks in four years for the DL is a lot. Too much, in my opinion, since I think we're solid enough there to spend the value elsewhere. We need to go OL and secondary high. Possibly ILB if someone strikes our fancy.

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    hampton and hoke have been warriors for us but they are both past their dominating days.

10. Somathus

Somathus Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I second that. I guess it says something for your coaching. Good work

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    What a loss. I've always liked Hoke, and many people are speculating that this will be the end of his career.

x3~ Very cool indeed! It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. :hello:

12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hey on the 4 real ,,very cool stuff.....I Coach as well ,but have no NFL guys ,,,but hey I know the passion and Love you have for the game and this Team.....And in response to your post ,,,I have always thought that Hoke is a great Football player.....I love the guys who are a little short on Talent ,,,but high on everything else to me that is the essence of a great Football player....

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nice career for this over achiever, played hard all the time with limited ability.
    This will be one of the purged players along with A. Smith and others to get us under the cap
    for next year..

14. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    unfortunately,

Dec. 06, 2011 4:57 p.m. - by Chuck Finder - Hampton: Teammates saddened by Hoke's injury
    The potentially career-ending neck surgery for popular 11-year NT Chris Hoke affected several long-time Steelers teammates, who spoke to him Tuesday after hearing the news. “He’s just down,” NT Casey Hampton said. “I feel bad for the guy. I know how bad he wants to be out there.” Steelers RapidReports

Here's hoping for the best,

15. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I am very sorry to hear that Hokey may be done. If you really want to talk about the who the Steelers are and what they represent you would be extremely hard pressed to find a better role model than Hoke. He is one of those players that you could have injected in any era of football and he would have fit right in. He definitely was a guy that put on his hard hat, grabbed his lunch bucket and came to work. I will miss him if he is not back and I wish him well in his road to recovery! :bye:

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    sorry to hear this about hokey pokey. he was one of the best role players we have ever had on this team in recent memory. he was on the cusp of making this team back in training camp and i'm glad they decided to go with him. i figured something was up when he had to sit so long. i hope for the best for him. hang in there big guy. the tide is turning for our older guys like it or not. even guys with less football milage on them such as hokey, the aging process catches up and the nagging injuries mount. father time is brutal. i still think ziggy takes over the NT spot in the next season or two. mclendon will be the next hoke for us. :cool:

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  18. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Great article. Very sad...

I knew it was neck surgery, and I knew he was done for the year, but I had simply assumed he'd try to come back for next year. He's a "low mileage" guy that has at least 2 or 3 more in the tank. I'm sure of that. But the tone of the article suggests that he is done for his career. I figured we wouldn't know that for months and months. To seem so certain, I'm thinking it must be Hoke himself, not his neck that is making this decision. To not even bother playing again in order to ensure his health and future with his family.

I knew Hoke was a great guy and assumed he was helpful to McLendon, but I had no idea they were that close. To listen to McLendon, they sound like best friends, even though he still calls Hoke by his last name. That was very touching, and it also gives me much more hope and belief that McLendon can be a real full-time player instead of just a rotator. With Hoke in his corner every day, he figures to be a major overachiever.

19. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011

I'm not crying...I just have something in my eye, both eyes!

20. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Dang allergies...

21. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    get better and come back better than ever next year hoke