1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Check Out our New QB in a Breakdown with John Gruden

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Apr 30, 2017.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

I like this guy. Great sit down with John Gruden. Breaking down plays and all.

I think the Steelers got a good one in the 4th round. Excited to see him play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is a good video. I watched it right after we picked him, and I can't help really liking the guy. I'm hopeful that with a full time focus on football, he's going to develop proper techniques. He clearly has enough physical tools. He clearly has enough intellect. He seems to have his head on straight. It's all about focusing full time on football and putting those pieces together. Now that he no longer has to dedicate his time to engineering classes, and will have a QB coach for the first time, I'm feeling some optimism.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Nice

4. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That is the whole thing with Dobbs. When u meet him u walk away thinking, damn what a great human being. He just has that it factor. He is a leader of men. On and off the field. I know that is what drew them to him. Spend 5 min with him and u walk away impressed

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Having school smarts and having football smarts are two totally different things, Fitzpatrick graduated from Harvard, but his football IQ doesn't equate to his school IQ....So Dobbs is a nice guy, thats fine, but i'm only intereted in what he can do on the field, he gets a chance to prove he can play at the pro level where a lot of nice guys have failed, but i'm in his corner to see him become a top QB if he has it in him, he's going to play against a lot of defenses that aren't nice guys, good luck Dobbs, your going to need it....

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Fitz lack of success as a starter has nothing to do with smarts.

7. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Dobbs won the Torchbearer award at University if Tennessee, the highest student honor given by the University, not bad. Also earlier today I watched highlights of Tennessee Nebraska bowl game and I briefly thought that we got the best QB in the draft, better than the guys drafted before him, and also people have mentioned that this pick was the exact same pick as Prescott last year, not comparing just saying... my only concern is he needs to fill out more, hoping the trainers can put on like ten lbs of weight/muscle and skys the limit w space dobbs, staying optimistic

8. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Check out the draft profiles of Landry Jones from 2013, some talked about him being a 1st round talent. Everyone gets excited at draft time, but that still needs to translate into NFL success. Landry Jones was taken in the same round at Dobbs, so keep that in mind when using all the Dak Prescott references as I'd expect there are more 4th round QB failures than success stories. He might be a diamond in the rough, but only his drive and desire will determine the outcome. As a fan I'd like to see his success, I'm just a bit of a sceptic at this point.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Dobbs has far more physical talent to develop than Fitzpatrick did. My guess is that Dobbs ends up being a good backup for us, but I'm not counting him out as a potential long-term starter. His physical and mental traits are good for a QB prospect.

10. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    That was a nice little video. He definitely seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders. I'm pulling or him, I'd like to see him succeed. I think with the Steelers offensive line he can do some damage from the pocket, not even taking in to account what he can do with his legs.

11. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Great video. I like this guy. So real. His personality reminds of Eli Manning.

However, the day he has to play I expect a slow start, but he could turn out to be very good in time.

12. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I wonder if Dobbs and Shazier go to the same barber. They look like brothers

13. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I just hope that when he plays against the Ravens this season, they let him run if need be.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Haven't you ever noticed they don't have eyebrows?

They don't go to barbers, they have alopecia, can't grow hair.

15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Did you watch the on the field situations with Gruden compared to the other QBs in the draft? He got every playcall right and even audibled without Gruden saying anything based on the defense. Trubisky failed to audible correctly. Mahomes got the OL coverage wrong on a play. Watson, Kizer, and Dobbs looked the best. Dobbs being the best. Dobbs has the smarts and football smarts. We aren't expecting him to play right away. Now that he has the time to put all his focus into football and working on his accuracy. Dobbs is going to be great.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If Dobbs becomes the same athlete as Shazier, Steelers should draft all the player with alopecia. Maybe it's a gift.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    At least Dobbs will be cheap, his rookie contract as a late 4th rounder will be 2.7 million for 4 years....

18. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Dude's a rocket scientist...... he'd better be able to break down film