1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap A** Owners

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by steelersrock151, Feb 2, 2024.

1. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Apparently, back in 2008 the NFL made the pension plans for coaches, scouts, and staff optional. As of today, only 11 teams currently offer pensions to those employees, while some others offer 401ks and other apparently offer bubkis. The Steelers are one of those 11 teams. While head coaches and coordinators are well paid, many on the staff, especially scouts, are not.

You know who has a fully funded pension? Roger Goodell, who has made $700 million as commissioner.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

The average tenure for an nfl coach is 3 years. Do you really think an organization should be offering a pension to someone that only works for them for 3 years?

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    True, but many, if not most move to other NFL organizations. I would hope that there is some portability associated with this but I doubt is since these employees don't have a union representing them. Greedy management will only pay if they're mandated. Thumbs up to the 11 that have stepped up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    If you jump from job to job every 3 years do you get a pension?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    If you're in a union, yes. If you're not in a union, most likely your company is not offering a pension, just a 401k, if that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There was talk a couple of tears ago about coach's forming a union. Have no idea if it ever came about, but the things you mentioned would greatly benefit them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But some of these Guys have to jump from job to job....not because of themselves, but because their bosses were fired. So it's a different situation IMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    HC makes on average 6 million a year. 18 million in 3 years. Take away the BS guy left with at least 10-11 million of that. Pretty sure he could invest a few of those millions for a comfortable retirement. I had a good job, good pension but it's not near what a 3 year Coach would have investing a few of his millions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am pretty sure that is how it works for the players. You would think that the league would be adding time together, so if you were an NFL coach for 16 years with 4 different teams you would qualify for your 16 years worth of service.

Could explain the problem with getting quality refs? :) Although, I don't know who the Refs work for. Are they employed by the NFL directly, or some kind of independent contractor setup?

• Like Like x 1
  10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah! 'Cause someone making an average of 2.2 million a year certainly needs a pension!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    My only experience working for corporate America was for 12 years. Management wasn't unionized but everyone below that level was. The company offered 401K AND pensions for everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You guys are talking about the Coaches. This specifically covers staff as well. Some of the staff end up working for the team a long time. Scouts, equipment managers, front office staff, etc. Thos employees should have at least 401k options in their package.

13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Do we know that they don't?

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    OP post, even though he doesn't provide the reference, specifically says that only 11 teams offer such programs.

15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I'd like to see the facts, or is this just from some story on the internet? Either way, it's none of my business what someone else gets paid. It's very, very rare for someone in my industry to get a 401K or retirement. Pensions? Non-existent. We all know that going in. I imagine, if it were a priority, these assistants and scouts would find a different line of work.

16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I get it, but the post was about the Steelers being one of 11 that offered them. So I was commenting on that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    My comment wasn't necessarily aimed at you. It's the whole subject.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Yes if you are a school teacher in most states or a public employee that pays into a common system. Same goes for truck drivers and coal miners. The NFL should establish a similar system. It also helps when negotiating health care coverage.

19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    If you're a teacher in, say, CA for 3 years and then take a job at a school in MO do you think you can take your pension with you?
    Do you really think that the DeShaun Watsons, Mahomes, Burrows, etc. really need help paying for health insurance?

20. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    No, pensions do not cross state lines for
    State employees. Miners do as well as truck drivers and union skilled labor jobs. Many former NFL players absolutely need health insurance. They suffer injuries that often pop up later in life. If you think an average player can out of pocket cancer treatment or lifelong needed care you are crazy. IDK if you have ever looked into what it costs for health care if you are independent but I can tell you it is expensive.

21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    An average player can certainly afford health insurance. Why would they pay for treatments out of pocket? I was friendly with Walt Sweeney before he died. He played for the Chargers and their doctors got him on pain pills for his knees. He struggled with health issues and addiction. IMO, the NFL treated him like he didn't exist. A lot of his money issues were of his own doing. Drugs, bad investments, alcohol.......but, that was 30+ years ago. Isn't there something in the NFLPA that helps the older player with expenses?
    According to Spotrac, the average rookie compensation is 2.7 million for a 7th round pick. Surely a player could find an affordable policy within that budget. Even if it wasn't in his contract for the team to provide insurance.
    BTW, I am a cancer survivor. 9 years now. I'm fully aware of what treatments cost.

22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    NFLPA shows that players are eligible for health insurance and 401Ks. How much depends on where you are in your career.

23. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm sorry but if you're making $5 million per year, you don't need a pension. Save for retirement on your own. Now I get most coaches are assistants and don't make that much, but they're still making far more money than I'll ever make.

24. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Aside from head coaches and coordinators, position coaches (minus a few exceptions) make less than 100k per year........so if that is more than you'll ever make I suggest a career change ASAP.

I personally know someone that used to be a a position coach on the Steelers not too long ago, he made just over $51,000.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That's surprising to me. That's a different story for those guys