1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Chase Claypool to CFL

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Robert, Apr 3, 2024.

1. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I heard he claimed to be a Top 3 WR in his own huddle there in the CFL.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't know. I was listening to the Ramon podcast last year, and apparently James Washington is a farmer now down in Texas.

I remember when I and a lot of other people thought Washington's only problem was getting on Ben's bad side because of Mason Rudolph.

Another great draft of a WR by Pittsburgh??? I think the Steelers drafting great receivers is becoming more legend than fact. When was the last Steeler WR drafted to play 8 years with the Steelers, or until he was 30?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    upload_2024-4-3_17-7-59.jpeg :applaud:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    That is who came to my mind immediately.

You know that was last century when the Steelers drafted a Hine Ward in 1998.... It has been over 2 DECADES since the Steelers drafted a WR that lasted more than 8 years; how is this a good thing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    The Steelers have a history of allowing players to start pushing the boundary of what is or should be acceptable behavior. They have been dealing with players that become primadonna's over the last decade or so. For the recent seasons, it does seem that the Steelers are starting to get rid of problem children a lot faster. Perhaps they are trying to shift back into that Steelers mindset of winning and putting the team first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I get that, but some of that is FA and a guy who has already been paid on the team. When Hines was here, ARE got a good pay day from Wash. Ward was still here when Holmes went to the Jets. Ward was finishing up, Wallace and Sanders were here and Brown came. They chose to pay Brown over those 2. There were others who actually showed promise, even some who had decent years here, but did not do much once they left. I think JuJu could have been a longer stay, injuries took him out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Only 2 WR's in combine history were 6'5" weighed 240 and ran a sub 4.50 forty, Calvin Johnson and Chase Claypool. All the physical skills were there but he just didn't have the smarts, heart or work ethic to be great.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Your first sentence says a lot about society in general these days. Claypool is just following the same paved path. I really thought he’d be a better player. All you can hope for that these players make the most with their short time fortune opportunities while they can. Being that young and finding success can go to the head quickly.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I might say this a little differently. I believe we started to take more chances on receivers with known character concerns. AB and Pickens both had a reputation from high school and/or college. I believe there are others, but those two are easy examples.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Both of them are ridiculously talented where it is worth taking the risk. They better start getting GP the ball though or else things might go sideways in a hurry.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Steelersfan4life

Steelersfan4life Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2022
    Maybe his new CFL team will play music during practice.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
  13. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    This really isnt note worthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Well thanks for having a game against the Eagles. Good luck up north.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

:lolol:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Thanks to Cleveland, Houston has the draft capital to burn on a rental deal like this

17. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Huge fall from grace for Claypool, probably believed his own hype after a good rookie season and just never put in the work.

There is definitely bit of a mythology around the Steelers drafting WR’s. They are probably better at it than most teams but that’s about it.

AB was one of the biggest draft steals ever in 2011 even allowing for how it all ended, but since then they have drafted some useful players like Juju, DJ and George Pickens and it’s a really mixed bag after that.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    wasn't he in a canada offense here too? :cool:

19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yes - mythology, as I documented in another thread.

and that said - that was an OLD REGIME of drafting.

and an OLD REGIME of BIG BEN.

it is a new era, folks - a new era.

new coaches, new QB's and new GM / scouts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

he couldn't even succeed with Ben.

kid was soft - period.

no heart, no hands, just great physical attributes -that does not make you a WR in the NFL.

i take HINES all day long over metrics!

21. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I remember several times Ben would target Claypool and there was a ‘miscommunication’. Ben would stare at him post play or just walk off the field shaking his head.

Guys have to buy in completely. Just going through the motions will not work in the NFL. AB was special. I think Claypool, JuJu, and Bryant could have been special too with Ben. They just never focused on the goal.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Juju was solid, very solid, as a #2.

If AB kept his head on straight, he and Juju could have been a very good tandem for 4-5 seasons.

But.....we see how that panned out.

Bryant was a troubled kid - scouts missed on him.

• Like Like x 1
  23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Thought Claypool was the real deal in 2020. It's a shame he declined the way he did. Lots of natural talent.... didn't have it between the ears.

Steelers got JPJ out of it... so they made up for Claypool being a bust.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

remember his 4 TD game (correct?) , early in his career? I too had HIGH HOPES, but they were quickly dashed

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Being on a team’s neg list doesn’t mean he’ll ever play in the league. All CFL teams have a long list of players from college to pros that may or may not come up. But it’s probably a sign that his NFL career is hanging by a thread… Which we kind of already knew.