1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Charlie Batch

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrock151, Apr 16, 2012.

1. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
  2. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    We'll see if he makes the final cut or not...its at least just a move to have a vet QB in the mix. I remember them saying they'd like to bring him and Lefty back...so we'll see if Lefty joins him. And who makes the final cuts!

From Charlies FB:

"Today, I felt like a kid all over again. I have signed a deal with my favorite childhood team for another year! I want to thank you all for your prayers and support over the past 14 years and counting I am grateful to be working for the Rooney's and such an outstanding organization. I am excited for the upcoming season and I look forward to bringing home another ring!"

4. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ensures team success for at least 1 more season!

5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    When Charlie played against the Rams last year I thought that he didn't look too awful. It's hard to hate Batch he is such a good guy, but I believe Troy Smith, Leftwitch or a draft pick will be the #2 guy.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That's great. I remember an interview with Colbert back in February, where he said he was confident CB and Lefty would be back.

7. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Much love to Batch!
    I think he is possibly STILL our best bet for a short term back up.
    Not sure if he could go 2 games +, without being hurt, but he has done pretty well when called upon so far!
    Would love to see him as a coach when done playing.
    Right now, I think he has the knowledge, but I question how many hits he could take from kids 300+ pounds, and about 20 years younger than him.
    I also wonder what else we have.
    Dixon probably gone, Lefty probably gone.
    Troy Smith, and Jerrod Johnson, currently signed.
    Everybody feel comfortable rolling with them behind Ben?
    Cause we have more pressing needs in the draft, and the front office has tried to cut Charlie the last two years, but injuries in the pre-season wouldnt let them?
    I`m sure we could do worse, don`t know if we could do better?

8. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I personally like Charlie Batch and kinda feel like he's a "true" Steeler. I mean he's been a team guy and not a drama queen and when we've needed him to manage games for us he has done that. I'd like to keep him as just a teacher I suppose. He's better than Leftwich for sure. Does anyone know if the colts are still showing interest in Leftwich? That was a rumor from a week or so ago.

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I wasn't aware of this. They had to bring Leftwich back because of injuries, but I don't remember Batch ever being particularly prominent on the cutting list.

10. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Because being a good back up player translates automatically into being a good teacher...

11. punkneater

punkneater Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
  12. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    My memory`s a bit fuzzy, but last year, I think Charlie was off the roster when Lefty broke his arm in a pre-season game, and that`s when they brought Batch back. Dixon may or may not have been hurt.
    Two years ago, when Ben was under suspension for the first four games, I remember reading about Tomlin saying that Charlie would not have been on the team, except for injuries to Lefty and Dixon.. "He was the last man standing"...
    Pretty sure that was when Lefty broke a collarbone, and Dixon had a knee injury. I know Dixon played against the Ravens that year, and almost won. I think it was the fourth game.
    And I could be confusing the collarbone with Batch`s. I seem to remember him breaking his within the last few years, also, but I think it was before Lefty`s.
    You could probably clear it up better for yourself, with a little research on the `net, but I`m just too lazy for that... :shrug:

13. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The thing is, Charlie is our best bet befor Lefty or Dixon. Troy Smith and the young guy Johnson IMHO are better then Lefty. Let Lefty go to the Colts with his boy BA, good ridence. They belong together. Its time to move on from Leftwich. Charlie is always the last man standing because he is a team guy who knows the offense and has always got it done. I hope he stays healthy and makes the team in whatever position. He deserves it because he puts the work in. The organization knows his worth.

Lefty is too injury prone, Dixon just can't get it done. Lets see what Smith and Johnson can do. The other option is to draft a QB next week in the draft. Even if they do that, Batch will be around to teach him.

14. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    bit of a different topic but oh well.. I read on a Rat board that the rats are trying out Dennis Dixon.. if it's for inside info I wounder if the rats know that we have a different OC

15. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    not to try and hijack the thread but they also worked out boller

16. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Ratbirds signed Curtis Painter.

17. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Me too. Research also tends to ruin good arguments. :)

I think you're right about Lefty's collarbone, but I thought that happened after they had brought him back to cover Ben's suspension.

18. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Even if we did have the same OC, Dixon didn't have a freakin clue what was going on here anyways... Waste of a draft pick and roster spot for too long.

19. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Ravens: Dennis, how well do you know the Steelers offensive gameplan?
    DD: The what what now?
    Ravens: Next! Curtis, how well do you know the Steelers offensive gameplan?
    Curtis Painter: Erm... really well?
    Ravens: You're hired.