1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers to LA

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by SteelHaven, Jan 12, 2017.

1. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Feel bad for San Diego. Wonder if Oakland is still on Vegas watch

2. Guest

Guest Guest

3. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    What's funny is in their inaugural season in 60 they were in LA. I wonder if there are any old timers there that supported them well after their move to SD in 61 and stayed charger fans, I mean they have to be stoked that they are coming back. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Doesn't their owner remind you of a BOB NUTTING? LOL
    Now LA will have 2 stinky teams they won't support.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    What I'm reading here is that even Charger "fans" are done with Spanos.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, the great news is that Manti Teo's imaginary girlfriend is from the LA area! They won't need to have a long-distance imaginary relationship anymore.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah their hatred for that family even dwarfs the cowgirls fans hatred of Jerry Jones. I mean they really hate that family. This is just a joke really. I can't blame the fans in SD for giving up on spending their hard earned money to go watch a franchise that so obviously doesn't care about them. I mean Marty goes 14-2 and GETS FIRED! The fans just wound up in a huge peeing contest between egotistical people and this is ultimately what it has came to. I don't think LA really gives a crap about either team.

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You're right! L.A. is Lakers, Dodgers, Kings, Clippers territory. Most don't give a rat's azz about the Rams and even fewer will care about the Chokers! The Raiders? They would thrive there. The hatred for LA here is well known. So much so that the fans I've talked to all agree that they won't support the Chargers anymore even though I point out to them that they don't have to live in the city to be a fan of "your" team. People claim that Steelers fans travel well when the reality is that the fans already live in the city where the Steelers play on the road! I've been a Steeler fan for 45 years and have only been to Pittsburgh once!

9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah Steelers fans really do just live everywhere. We're one of the few fanbases that do that. There are genuine fans of other teams that don't live in their are but there are only a few. I know legit Packer, Raider, Cowgirl, and Eagles fans. I think of the seahakws, pats, and colts as just bandwagon teams. I know a few genuine Denver and SF fans too but I think the Steelers and Cowboys have the biggest nationwide fanbases. I know some Dallas fans that were on the brink of giving up before this year though.

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Man the charger fans there are going and throwing their jerseys in the parking lot and screaming at the building and everything! All 7 of them are INSANELY mad!

11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Travelling internationally, I saw true Steeler, Cowboy and Raider fans. Any other team loyalty was just "flavor of the week"

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I saw a dude at Disneyworld a few months ago wearing a Myron Cope shirt and I told him his shirt was awesome. He said that he wore it in Venezuela and that people down there were complimenting him for it. We were talking about how devout and widespread our fanbase is. The cowgirls might be "America's Team" but an argument could probably be made that Pittsburgh is the "World's Team".

13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    My nephew, one of the dozen true Choker fans, just asked me if we have room on the Steeler bandwagon!

14. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    TOO FUNNY SE.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They really haven't been good since. I really hate seeing cities lose their team. When the Brooklyn Dodgers left NY, that was a huge blow for the fans but the owner really did try and do all he could to keep the team there. There was a documentary on it, was really done well. Robert Moses was the real reason why a new stadium didn't get built here, he was the real villain, not O'Malley.

I'm not up on all of the details of the whole SD move but I get the feeling Spanos is just screwing the fans/city and didn't do nearly enough to keep them there.

Not really the same when you grow up a fan of a team from another city as opposed to living there as a fan. I can see how that is devastating for people who live there when the team moves away.

16. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    Not sure whether or not I agree that Spanos is 100% at fault. Only because if he was hell bent on getting to LA he would have done so last year when he had the chance. I don't know if any remember last year when it came out that they decided to stay in SD for a last ditch effort to get something done. Spano was also on quote that he spent the last 15 years trying to get something done. If all that is not BS it sounds like the city of SD didn't care

17. Steel Odonnell

Steel Odonnell Member

Jan 8, 2017
    It will be interesting to see them play in a 30,000 seat stadium for a couple years. I also hope they consider a complete rebrand for 2019 when the new stadium opens, or at the very least, new and modernized uniforms.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The sad thing is that the Chargers had pretty much always had about the coolest uniforms in the NFL. The powder blues were awesome. Besides our uniforms I would definitely say those were the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    ....... *sigh.... :facepalm:

In the NFL's conquest to attain the "$25 billion per year revenue mark", fans are the odd ones out; the team being held hostage by the league and an owner or city being culprits.... all for the sake of the sports media to cash in.

Actions such as these will yield devastating consequences considering both LA teams predicaments.

- Rams do now have Wade Phillips and Sean McVay with a young nucleus to build around... but in a division that is so fiercely competitive year in, year out, can the Rams truly become the "Best From the West?"

- As for the Chargers..... the Cheifs are still going to be around for much longer, the Broncos will still be in discussion as a premier playoff contender and the Raiders are back.

Given these circumstances, how either team will remain relavent; especially the Chargers, will be interesting to me given the fact that much of Los Angeles has a huge contingent of Steelers fans if I recall.

20. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    After all the years of taxpayer subsidies to the Chargers, MOST of San Diego didn't care. The stadium and it's land belong to the city and, through the years, the city has paid to expand and upgrade the "Q". In '97, when Spanos first started making a lot of noise, the dopes on the city council came up with the ticket guarantee, Using tax money to buy up unsold seats to avoid blackouts and to placate Spanos. Spanos tried to get a deal wherin the city would give him the stadium site and he'd develop it himself. Problem was, the city would be giving up property worth more than 1B dollars and Spanos was going to sub out the construction so, little money would actually come out of his pocket.
    He didn't pull the trigger last year because he delusionally thought that voters would approve a downtown stadium. That proposal would have put a stadium in an area that doesn't have the infrastructure to support it. That stadium wouldn't have seated enough to qualify for a SB anyway.
    On top of all that, what wasn't made clear was that any cost overruns associated with the convention center portion of the "Convadium" would come out of the general fund. One of the things considered part of the convention center was the retractable roof! No chance of an overrun there!
    The absolute best place for a new stadium is the current location. The current city council even offered Spanos a 99 year lease at $1.00/year while a new stadium proposal could be worked out.
    The roads and trolley station were put in specifically to access the stadium area.
    Spanos had his sites set on downtown and nothing else would do.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steel Odonnell

Steel Odonnell Member

Jan 8, 2017
    "will be interesting to me given the fact that much of Los Angeles has a huge contingent of Steelers fans if I recall."

IIRC our Monday night game in San Diego in 2015 (I believe) was very clearly infested with Steelers fans. I remember ESPN even commented multiple times how many Pittsburgh fans were present in San Diego. It looked like a Steelers home game there were so many of us.

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    We've got homefield advantage in about 30 stadiums honestly.

23. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Living in LA is going to suck for televised Steelers games. Most Sundays now will occupy two of the 3 Sunday day game with the Rams and Chargers.

24. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    When Art Modell pulled the Browns out of Cleveland for Baltimore, this was
    mind boggling. The fans of Cleveland got shafted. They supported that team
    and yet greed won out yet again. I am not for letting teams relocate.
    I think these Billionaire owners should foot the bill for these stadiums and not the taxpayers. They
    are the ones making all the money, let them foot the bill.

25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I get what you're saying and mostly agree. The city and it's citizens benefit greatly from having an NFL team there. Just thinking about B-more (and I hate the rats as much as everybody else) the stadium downtown brings a lot of money and business to that city. The city and residents are overall better off with the stadium than without, so having to contribute tax revenue benefits them as residents of the city. I noticed this in B-more when we went for the Army Navy game last month. Without the rats and stadium there, it is slum central and Camden Yards. The stadium and team has really bolstered the downtown economy.