1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers game isn’t a Must Win…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 21, 2021.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    When you truly break it down the Steelers could actually afford to lose this game and drop to 5-4-1 and while they might be on the outside looking in they would not be dead in the water. The games to keep an eye on today are the Bengals Raiders game. The winner of that game will be 6-4 and the loser will be 5-5. So the winner of that game would jump the Steelers in the standings should they lose to the Chargers and be a 1/2 game up. Another game to keep an eye on is the Chiefs and Cowboys. If the Cowboys win this game and drop the Chiefs to 6-5 the Steelers would hold the 7th seed still in the AFC no matter even if they lose to the Chargers.

Other games where you want to root for teams to lose are you want the Ravens to lose to the Bears obviously to drop them to 6-4 and keep them within striking distance in the AFC North before that huge game with them here in 2 weeks on December 5th. You also want to root for the Colts to lose to the Bills and obviously the Browns to lose to Detroit. Even if both those teams the Colts and Browns win the Steelers would still be ahead of them even if they lose to the Chargers. 5-4-1 would be ahead of 6-5 in the standings.

So the real big big games upcoming are the next 2 weeks at Cincinnati next Sunday and home to the Ravens in 2 weeks. The Steelers need to win these games more then the Chargers game tonight. This is probably one of if not the last game the Steelers can afford to lose and still not be in terrible shape when it comes to their playoff chances. The real big games are the next 2 weeks with the Bengals and Ravens. Lose one or both of those games then things will get a lot tougher for the Steelers. But again this game is not a MUST win tonight in LA. The Steelers can lose this game and still be in decent shape to not only make the playoffs but still win the AFC North if they win the next 2 weeks against the Bengals and Ravens.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    While that may be technically true, I hope the Steelers don't approach it that way. I hate when a loss early in the season is dismissed by Tomlin because it's "still early and we have time to make it up" and then they miss the playoffs later b/c of one game.

• Like Like x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Just lose baby!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    They probably won't have a true "must win" until week 17 or 18, as the division will likely stay clustered together. There are also 7 playoff teams now.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Please remember folks substitutes are being evaluated by other teams also
    not just starters. These subs playing in today's game maybe making a paycheck for some other
    NFL team next year or possibly replacing the player they are subbing for today.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Although technically not a must win, I feel it is from a momentum and team mentality perspective. Winning this game will do wonders for the next game and the next game if we win, will do wonders for the games thereafter. Each loss lessens our chances to getting somewhere after game 17 and that is a fact. String some wins together and build some insurance space vs living on the hope of other teams losing is a no brainer. With the likelihood of injuries piling up as the season goes on, winning becomes harder so now is the time to get what we can. So, to me, I don't want to hear about we can do this or that with a loss today. That's horse dung. Win the damn game and move on. Yes, it would be nice if the rest of the division tanked today and every day and every week. Just can't count on it. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The slide begins today.

EMBRACE HIENZMUSTARD!

upload_2021-11-21_9-49-39.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
  9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Every game from here on out should be considered a MUST WIN!

The standard will still be the standard though so I'm sure this team will end up 8-8-1 and MT will continue his non losing season streak.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well since I predicted ......
    10-7, and We can't get that...So 10 -6-1. We have a 5- 3-1season so far. So I believe 3 more losses. So Yes this is not a must win, or even 2 more losses are coming, but it's a Dang I Hope We Win. :thumbs_up:
    As far as people predicting Here is where we start losing......Well We just won 4 in a row, and a Tie.....So a loss coming up is No big WoW moment.....Unless You picked us 2 go 14-3, or 13- 3-1. If not telling us we will lose some up coming games is no real surprise. I can't really get upset about losses till they pass How many I thought they would lose. :shrug:
    Just how I'm wired....With me thinking We'd lose 7 it will take 8 losses before I'm freaking out.

11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    the must win was last week

we will miss the playoffs by 1/2 a game....book it Dano!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    It's a good thing TTF bans Steeler players from accessing this MB and reading threads like this. They'd be so confused as to whether they are supposed to win or lose from week to week. :facepalm:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Every game is a must win.

:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012

I want to agree with this more than once.

While I don't think it's MUST win but I feel it's extremely important to win.
    We've got to start stacking win in late November and get some momentum.

15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Some look at the remaining schedule and see some teams struggling on the schedule. Here is a news flash, the Steelers are struggling as well.

Every game is a must win at this point.

I don't want to see an 8-8-1 finish but it looks like it might be where they end up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Steelers didn’t really get any help today at all so far. Ravens pull another game out of their asses they had no business winning and both the Colts and Browns win to improve to 6-5. This game got bigger tonight now to keep pace with the Ravens in the division after they find a way to win without Lamar Jackson.

17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    It really is unbelievable! Damn depressing. Go Raiders.

18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    No game is a must win until you start saying we have to win out to make Playoffs.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    not really.

But you can't TIE the Lions and think you are going anywhere in January....

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yes you can

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    this is technically true - we moved that one game fwd with that suck ass game last week. But - there are clearly REGRET games, ones you cant afford to lose b/c we suck way too bad to win much this DEC / JAN.

22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I suppose you can THINK anything you want - aka - the moon is made of cheese.

stay tuned, you will see....

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Now that every other AFCN team won this game is pretty much now a Must win.

24. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am pretty sure all the Steelers' games are must win games at this point. I am not confident they can win the "should win" games.

25. RatbirdHater

RatbirdHater Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2017
    Nothing would bring me more of a smile than watching Lamar get sacked so hard he retires. I hate that team.