1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Character...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blountforcetrauma, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, Keisel probably should have been mentioned more, shaving his beard for cancer patients, and all...
    But, just like Aaron Smith, he does his job so well, and so quietly, that you don`t think of him, which is how, him, and the ppl like him, (Troy P, anyone?). do their jobs,..they don`t want the glory.. that is the definition of "humble"...

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why do fans expect athletes to be less then human and void of emotions? You know full well the vile and harsh things a-holes will say on a message board or twitter or whatever social media, and you want some 22 year old kid to just turn the other cheek? I have about 20 years on Pouncey and I still get into it with people on message boards. I say good for Pouncey. I hate little punks who act all tough because they are cloaked in anonymity.

3. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Do you really want to hear some stories from Charlie's Steel Valley days?
    Didn't think so.

Either Adams will mature, or not.
    We'll see.

I vote for Charlie Batch! ;)

4. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Watch who you're calling a village idiot! Come on - we were having a little fun with the off-season. Geeez.

5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I will share a cool story about brett kesiel. It was about 4 days after the lockout ended and a buddy of mine has a daughter with cystic fibrosis. I knew from reading on the steelers home page that brett is involved in the 65 roses. that is what alot of the kids call the disease because they cant pronounce cystic fibrosis. they make it sound like 65 roses. He was getting donations for a fund raiser and I thought it would be cool to have a steeler donate. I went to brett's home page and contacted a lady in charge of web page. She said he was extremly busy with lockout being over, but she would email me back if she heard from him. I heard back from her in two days asking me what I was expecting from him. I told her I thought it would be great if he could donate $20 or something just to say brett kesiel donated. She said she would see what he could do, but most of his contributions stay with local chapter. 5 days later i got another email asking me for my contact info and the next day heard from brett. He ask if I need memorbilia or anything for the auction. I was shocked. I told him they were just raising money for a walk in Hendersonville, TN. It was just 7 or 8 teams mostly parents of kids with the disease. he said no problem I have the info you sent and I will see it gets done. within 2 days they had a donation of $200 from him. I sent him a thank you email after the event and told him what it meant to all of us. I never heard back but in his defense it was the week after the first ravens game. that is why he is now my favorite steeler

6. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    My youngest brother died of Cystic Fibrosis - he called it 65 Roses before the foundation was established. Kudos to Keisel for supporting it. I've always liked him - and you give me another reason to be a big fan.

7. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I hate to hear that buddy. I can tell you brett is very passionate about it. they have come along way over the years

8. JD99

JD99 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    That is an awesome story!This is exactly the kind of guy he is too. He is involved with so many causes off of the field like this, especially when it comes to kids. You don't hear about it all that much because he's not one to want accolades and atta boys for good deeds. He is a friend of a friend and I've had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with him and his wife. They are such good people, very humble. He is just a good, down to earth humble guy who appreciates the opportunity that God has given him in this life and always makes the time to give back to the community. I've never been prouder to wear a players jersey on my back than his.

9. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    He died 21 years ago - and I have followed the progress of the research and treatment my whole life. It's amazing to me how much healthier these kids are, thanks to people, like Keisel and other NFL players who support 65 Roses and other CF research charities.

10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Cool story about Keisel. He would be my choice of a high character guy that I associate with the Steelers. I don't know a whole lot about Charlie Batch off the field other than his highly publicized financial woes. I also agree on Aaron Smith and Heath. Pouncey is a beast and seems to have his head on straight. My 14 year old is a big fan of MP.

11. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    It's also nice to see he has fun, too - with the beard thing. I wonder if he likes it, or if it is REALLY as uncomfortable as it looks.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't think he's a bad kid. i hope it's hit home for him. in columbus these guys are like rock stars and fall into these disgressions more then we know about. i could see how it would be easy to get sidetracked from what's important to alot of us. mike adams will be fine. he's come to a good place to work his junk out. he's not a santonio holmes. i like the fact we re-signed essex to show these guys whats important on this line. he has seen it taken away and given a chance to right the ship. this really could be the best thing to happen to him and allow him to give his advice to these young guys. nothing will be handed to them here, they will have to earn it. adams will be fine and he will have to work here. this may be the best place adams could have landed.

keisel,troy,charlie,heath,foster,essex, they all seem like good people. :cool:

13. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    Well - if the stories about his meeting with the Rooneys are true, I think he should be motivated to earn that signing bonus after a couple years of clean play. If the Rooneys told him at the outset of the meeting that he was off their draft board and he was able to talk his way into the 2nd Round, there must be something about him to like - and to trust. Let's just see how it goes. If it works - we're a dominant O-line very quickly. If it doesn't - well - at least we can't say that Colbert won't take risks.

14. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Wow! That is an awesome story about Kiesel! I wish the league had more Kiesel's and less Pac-Mans, Chris Henry, Brandon Meriweather, Jerome Simpson, Antonio Cromartie, and all of the other thugs that give the shield a bad name. I'm sure for every Pac Man there is a Kiesel but you just don't hear about it.

15. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    I think we should all pitch in and buy him a toaster as a present!

16. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    LMFAO!!!! :lolol:

17. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Here's the thing about Adams:

No doubt the Rooneys will never get over what happened with Dan Marino in the 83 draft. They passed on Marino because of "drug issues" and they won't let that kind of problem sway them from a player they want. Look at Santonio Holmes, who had similar "character" issues.

Smoking pot isn't like doing coke. Is it a red flag? A little bit. But marijuana poses less harm and less risk than alcohol, so it is interesting that getting drunk is more or less acceptable, getting stoned isn't.

18. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    I can honestly say I've never tried the stuff. Either too poor - or too scared I would like it too much - and then GET poor.

19. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Hey MD I hope you get over your fear of toasters. I totally can understand it. I myself have a fear of owls and feet. But on the topic of pot, it is illegal. Whether or not it's a "strong" drug is irrelevant. The point is that he was engaged in illegal activity. The rules apply to all of us and we have to obey them. But it's like I've said I'M WILLING TO GIVE HIM A CHANCE AND BY THAT I MEAN JUST ONE CHANCE. JUST ONE.