1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Changed my mind about game planning

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    After review, I have changed my mind about the Steelers offensive and defensive game planning. It isn't bad. Based on what was on tape, Lebeau's strategy was sound - make Tebow beat us through the air. However, after that second quarter, when he did beat us through the air, it didn't seem as though anything changed. Particularly in OT, when one big play could end the game. Sell out on run defense? Sheesh. Offensively, we started off OK, and usually do (better to score TDs, but driving the ball well). But after the opponents defense adjusts, we rarely do anything different, and are stuffed. Then no adjustments until the fourth quarter. And, on offense, just way too predictable, which means you aren't adjusting or changing things up.

I think what needs to happen next year is to stick with the game planning for Plan A (I think our first possessions are usually solid) , but a Plan B, Plan C, and Plan D needs to be developed. New coordinators may be needed to make this shift.

Staying healthy would help, too.

2. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Arians strength is studying teams tendencies, so his scripted plays work well in the beginning. I don’t think he has a great feel for what the opponents’ defense is doing to counter the Steelers offense as the game continues on. So the offense sputters most of the game as a result. I also feel that his schemes exposes the Steelers teams weakness on offense (o-line).

As for the D… LeBeau’s defense it lives or dies with QB pressure. . When they get pressure, it disrupts the QB’s rhythm, causes sacks, and turnovers. The D looks great. When that doesn’t happen, the secondary gets picked apart. Without getting to the QB quickly it really exposes the Steelers weakness on defense, the DB’s.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    "Sell out on run defense"

This is the most perplexing thing. Since when couldn't our front 7 handle the run defense by itself? This was the game plan going in too, not just after the injuries on D.

Lebeau conceded Hampton and Farrior can't stop the run.

If our run defense could stop the run with 7 or 8 guys, we could have used our safeties to run zone D and confuse the heck out of Tebow.

4. Tiny

Tiny Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    On Mike and Mike this morning, Golic commented that the Steelers didn't make any adjustments at halftime. Glad someone else noticed this and called them out on it.

5. Still Exiled

Still Exiled Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't know that I buy that. The Steelers held the Broncos to three points and 161 yards in the second half after giving up 20 points and 238 yards in the first.

I watched the game in a bar so I didn't have the best view. However it seemed to me that we blitzed very little on passing plays -- rushing three or four and dropping the rest into short zones. This accounted for the number of plays where Tebow had all day to look down field. To me this was the flaw in the defensive game planning. I would rather force Tebow to hurry through his progressions (or tuck and run) then have time to scan the field. The guy may be a stiff by NFL standards, but it's not like he's never played the position before. Give too much time for a passing play to develop and a receiver will eventually get open and a QB will eventually see him -- no matter how many guys are in coverage.