1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

CFB Notes '16

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Oct 12, 2016.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Watched Duke vs Northwestern from a few weeks back. Wanted to get another look at NW ILB Anthony Walker Jr.

Another unimpressive outing for him imo. A volume tackler who will be a liability in pass coverage in the NFL. Noticed a lot of bad reads which took him out of the play. Saw him give up on two tackles where the ball carrier was still gaining yards. He did hustle on plays away from him but doesn't have the closing speed it seems. He did have a forced fumble and recovery in the 3rd but it was more from him getting juked and he stuck his arm out to try and recover the tackle, knocking the ball out of the QBs hands.

Watched a lot of Northwestern DE Ifeadi Odenigbo (6'3" 265) since Mac mentioned him. Situational player coming in on passing downs for the most part. Wasn't thrilled with his motor and didn't see too many moves in his arsenal and he's not an overly powerful guy. He got free on an inside stunt and bounced right off the freshman QB who then proceeded to roll out of the pocket. The only game I've seen of him so he could've had a bad night. Senior.

Northwestern Safety Godwin Igwebuike (6' 205 Jr) had some really nice plays. Just a junior so we'll see if he returns for his SR year. He played with some intensity too.

For Duke, I tried to key on Safety Devon Edwards (5'9, 180 Senior) Listed as a S/CB but played safety the whole game and don't see CB as his NFL role. He also returns kickoffs for the blue devils, but I didn't see the range when he had deep middle. Often a few steps away from passes outside the hash. He did seem to be a sure tackler and he blitzed quite a few times. He did have one sack where he got small going around the LT, and had a nice pressure up the middle on one other. Just like Walker though, he had a lot of bad reads, some really bad. Lined up all over on defense.

Impressed with Duke CB Breon Borders (6' 180 Senior). Had a pick in the game to add to his career total of 12, which leads the FBS. Sticky in coverage when shown.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    odenigbo isn't going to be a 1st rounder most likely but he had 4 sacks the week before against iowa and a forced fumble. i believe he moved into 4th place in sacks career wise for NW. he was defensive player of the week in the iowa game. 18.5 career sacks. could be a decent mid to late round guy to keep an eye on this season.

carraway from TCU is a guy to keep an eye on too.

reddick from temple is an OLB there but could be a guy to move inside. he's active with some good speed.

milano from BC possibly in the same mold as reddick. :cool:

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    oh cool, I recorded TCU vs Kansas last week just for kicks. I was just going to watch to see if anyone stood out, glad to know I can key in on someone.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Another guy to look for is Caroll Phillips out of Illinois.

Granted.. the guy does not always use the best technique or leverage when it comes to setting the edge... but his pass rushing upside is massive.

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Glad to see I am not the only one who wrote him off from 1st round consideration. Guy simply is not as explosive nor contains the twitch and speed I watched him have a year ago.

Gaining all that weight did not help him. 245 is way too much. 235 should have been his limit.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I do have the Iowa and Nebraska game recorded so I'll be interested in the comparison between games.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    In my head I was thinking 4-5th round while watching that game. He seems to have regressed from last year, I agree.

That Duke CB was intriguing though....I'm sure Ross would have some intel

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Carraway does show some good usage of his hands. Does a much better job of firing off his punches than others give him credit for. His leverage upon setting the edge is also something to consider.

Another player would be Zach Cummingham. As odd as that sounds.... he does have some pass rushing upside given how Vanderbilt uses him. Then again... Vanderbilt has no choice given the lack of talent on their linebacking corps; much less their defense.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Considering the league uses sub packages anymore.. finding a 3rd quality corner is a must. Will scout and report back the minute I see him.

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I did want to check out Cunningham, just read on article on him this past week. If I remember where I'll post.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hey Turtle, I know you watch alot of Football any QB's out there that fit the Steelers mold? Thanks

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I haven't watched many games this year where the QB play has grabbed my attention. (I did catch the Louisville/Clemson game and was impressed with Watson and Jackson, but Jackson is a sophomore. Haven't seen enough of Watson to form an opinion). Most of the QBs I have seen are underclassmen and will probably return to school.

I have watched senior Tommy Armstrong for a couple years now and although he does possess the physical traits and owns many passing records for the school, I do not like his decision making and his accuracy is very inconsistent. Could some of that be cleared up with NFL coaching, yes probably, because he has progressed under HC Riley and OC Langsdorf, but I question the football IQ and his retention to coaching. He reverts back to bad habits all too often.

CJ Beathard from Iowa is a senior and could be a late round addition. Fairly steady from what I've seen and may prove to be a good back up, but don't think he could sustain a starter role. QBs are the toughest for me to judge because so much can be attributed to coaching and I don't know enough about the position.

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Watched most of the Penn State vs Ohio State game last night and was impressed with DE Garrett Sickels from PSU. 6'4 260. Highlighted by the announcers throughout the game. Great motor. Junior though. Haven't seen too many PSU games. Anyone watch this guy on a consistent basis?

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Alright turtle. I am back with Breon Borders.

I have to admit... given the hype based around how deep this running back class is, it is the cornerback class that has me salavating at the chops come February.

Breon turns out to be arguably this positions sleeper. He has improved his speed, reaction time, jamming abilities, and agility from a year ago. I will not be surprised if he is a top 100 pick; possibly 75 when this CFB season is over.

If anything, he is far more developed and longer than Ross was coming out of Duke.

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I saw Igwebuike yesterday against OSU, he is for sure a talent. worth keeping an eye on. As is NWestern QB.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i still think the cook kid from fla. st. will go high. he's a stud RB. they also have a pretty good looking cb in mcfadden. does anyone know if he is related to the mcfadden we had from fla. st.? i'm also still keeping an eye on likely from maryland. he had a season ending knee this year but watching his rehab and comeback. he can do quite a lot even in the return game. have to wait and see where this kid is by april because he may drop and be a mid round gem at that point. :cool:

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    reddick from temple would be a nice pick. could play inside and out. nice looking prospect for us.:cool:

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    For RBs in the second round or later I like Dalvin Cook of Florida State he's fast and can catch, also Jeremy McNichols of Boise State a TD machine.

19. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Elijah Hood rb UNC

as of yesterday
    they have him as a day 3 draft pick

holy cow

i'd take it

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If we're talking RBs, Royce Freeman from Oregon is a junior but could be a nice addition. Battling some injuries this year and would probably be a mid rounder.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Day 3? Elijah Hood?

Quite the value if nabbed there. Top 100 player for me.

22. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012

i know right

i wanna say he is th 18th rb in this draft
    says he doesn't have the speed to get to theoutside

we'll see

23. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Jackson has outscored more than 100 fbs schools by himself we must draft him in 2018 no matter the cost.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Time to give this thread a boost haha.

Even though Myles Garrett is still the best prospect, staying healthy this year has been an issue for him.

As such, why not Johnathan Allen? Some say he plays like JJ Watt and I would agree. In addition, his value as a zero to seven tech. skyrockets his value. His length is crazy good and his explosiveness is immense. However, it is his agility is what sets him apart from other interior defensive linemen from years past.

"How does this have anything to do with Pittsburgh", you may ask? Do not be surprised if Cleveland elects to pick him should Mitch Trubisky not impress them.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    hunter dimmick. could be worth a look see.:cool: