1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Center....priority in '18 draft?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Dec 23, 2017.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If Ben retires, I've heard mumblings that Pouncey may go as well. I believe he has a couple years left easily, but that doesn't seem to mean much to some athletes anymore. They've really been thinking about their quality of life after the NFL. So the mumblings may have some merit, added to his relationship with Ben.

If Ben and Pouncey both go, where do you put the center position in your draft? I could see them using a 3-5 round pick on one. Finney may be an option but I'd think they would like to keep him as the guard/center swing man.

Has anyone seen any good candidates? It doesn't seem like a strong class. No athletes that I can see for the mid rounds. More bigger guys than athletes like Pouncey.

Ragnow from Arkansas may have been my front runner but an injury ruined his season. And no all star game to judge.

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Way too many needs to think about C.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Assuming Pouncey leaves, more than likely the following happens in round one;

Scenario 1:

QB in round one (whomever that may be).

Scenario 2:

Billy Price pick via trade (how far he falls will be telling). If not him and scenario one is not available, trade out of the first should all other top tier big board options be exhausted.

Scenario 3:

Best ILB or Safety available round one should scenarios 1 and 2 be out of the question with the exception of remaining BPA options.

Scenario 4:

BPA overall assuming scenarios one through three have gone and the trade value for the first round pick is not justified.

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Pouncey has said on several occasions when ben retires he retires.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I will believe it when I see it.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe a guy like cory helms from S.Carolina. he transferred from wake forest where he played center and guard. we may need that guy for foster too eventually. another multi position player for the line. :cool:

7. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I still believe the Pouncey twins will be reunited before either retires.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt Pouncey was serious when he said that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe this.

10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Watch when we run the ball and see who is out front most of the time, is Pouncey goes with Ben this is a major need to our run game.

11. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    A need maybe, but not a priority. We have a talented O-line with a great Oline coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I agree but MP is the glue he does so much more than the average fan see's. When he was out they had to change the whole way the oline blocked. We are very spoiled with what he does, if we can get a player half as talented to take his place we could be good with what is around him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think Finney can be a good stop gap till we find our next starting Center. He looks like a fine temp starter at the position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I've pretty much given up on Mike Pouncey coming here.

15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I like Ragnow who should be a good value pick in the late 3rd round or 4rd round p he probably would have been an earlier pick if not for his ankle surgery and didnt get to finish out his season but he can play both center and guard he is a good value pick and will be healed before the draft..........

• [​IMG] Frank Ragnow, C/G, Arkansas
      Height: 6-5. Weight: 317.
      Projected 40 Time: 5.24.
      Projected Round (2018): 3-4.
      1/6/18: Ragnow played well for Arkansas before a high ankle sprain ended his season early. The injury required surgery, and Ragnow is not expected to be ready to participate for the Senior Bowl. He has been invited to play in Mobile, but after missing the last five games, Ragnow may not be healthy enough to perform.

7/17/17: Ragnow could be in the running to be one of the top center prospects in the 2018 NFL Draft. Over the past two seasons, he hasn't allowed a single sack while taking on excellent competition. As one can expect coming from Arkansas, Ragnow is also a tough run blocker. He is a technician who enters his senior year having made 26 straight starts. As a sophomore, Ragnow was the Razorbacks starter at right guard. He has the size to be a guard or center in the NFL.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Not gonna happen in Pittsburgh