1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

cb's

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Feb 18, 2016.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Finally watched Michigan State vs OSU. Wow, great game. Sorry I know that was a heartbreaker for you, but just from a CFB perspective it was a good game. I'm from Ohio and usually root for OSU too, so I feel your pain. Husker fan now :facepalm:, but really like most B1G teams. Glad I kept it on my DVR, I wanted to put it in the B1G thread but just didn't have time back then.

Rainy game in the first half and Connor Cook was sidelined.

Positioning - Apple lined up on the right side for the majority of the game except the 4th quarter. 12 snaps at LCB, but majority at RCB. Played press for the majority of the game, with only 4 snaps in off and 7 with bail technique.

Targets - WR caught the ball every time Apple was targeted. It was Aaron Burbridge for all of those. I counted 4 targets and 4 completions with 1 PI call on Apple. He had 1 missed tackle on one of those completions. Was usually close in coverage but not enough to break up the pass. Not a lot of pass attempts with C. Cook out of the game. Other corner targeted fairly equal I thought.

Run defense - I saw he was very willing and effective in keeping outside contain on running plays. Better than I expected after reading some reviews. In the 4th, he missed a tackle on an option play when the QB kept the ball but his main responsibility was the RB so tough to fault him there. Josh Perry was faked on misdirection, so the inside was open. He was effective in reading the run when in press, so he showed some play awareness. But Burbridge really had his number on stalk blocks and Apple was not able to fend off these blocks easily. No real 1 on 1 open field tackle opportunities. He assisted in 2 tackles where other defenders had the ball carrier low and Apple went high. Never saw him wrap up on any tackles. Also missed a tackle when MSU was pinned deep in the 4th, just a lackluster effort on tackling the RB. The very next play, he fought off the block well on another running play, turning the play inside, but not able to get a good tackle attempt. A lot of the time it seemed he was content to turn the play inside but not aggressive enough to attempt the tackle.

Special teams - had two very good blocks on the gunner during punt return, the third was a fair catch, and the fourth was not returnable so there was some let up. Did well on the two returnable kicks.

Overall it was one game, but a good baseline for me to judge some other games. Didn't see anything in his pass defense to wow me. I actually was encouraged by his run defense willingness, he just needs refinement in tackling. Seems to be a common thread among prospects these days. I still have Michigan and Notre Dame on my DVR so hopefully I'll get to those soon. Wife's fighting me for DVR space with "The Voice" and "American Idol" heating up lol. I'm fighting for my internet scout life here gentlemen!!!:lolol:

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

turtle i hate to say it but you may lose this one my friend. :roflmao::cool:

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    just an aside to the OSU v MSU game... OT Taylor Decker has top notch vision to pick up back side pursuers and stunts. Really stands out there. MSU C Jack Allen is just a good football player. May not have the best measurables etc, but consistently wins with his positioning and technique.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I know, now she wants to add Chicago Fire. The hits just keep coming...

TBH, I do enjoy the Voice (man card shredding in the background) lol

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

turtle on his back. :roflmao::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Turtle, your hilarious. Keeping it too real.

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    as far as cb's i think i'm still going with my first thought and that was fuller. i think he would fit well with what we do.

artie burns would be an honorable mention early.

next would be dj white. he's peaked my interest since very early too. he's got the ability to play outside and inside.

eric murry would be an honorable mention in the middle rounds. maybe a move to safety for him.

lastly, frankie williams. very versatile kid. a little short but long arms. tight in coverage and quick. has free safety experience too. did i mention PR and KR.

that should do it early, middle and late for us. all good in coverage, all hard nosed and all good tacklers.

throw in a vonn bell, justin simmons and tyvis powell at safeties and let's rock.

honorable mention at safety would be tj green. :cool:

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I lost mine already. I used to clog the DVR with games, but now it's got close to 40 episodes of Good Wife and a bunch of other non-football matter. Here's a suggestion for next fall- when available, record games in low definition. It takes up a lot less space. I used to do that, but now it's getting harder to even find anything in low def.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    good suggestion, I'll keep that in mind.

Sometimes I try to sneak some deleting of her shows but she has good click n close on my recliner and she delivers a pretty good pop, with some excellent hand fighting to dislodge the remote.:lolol: oh man I gotta get out of this draft mode lol....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Excellent hand fighting..that made me spit up my chocolate milk laughing. LOL.