1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

cb's

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Feb 18, 2016.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    good to know, I won't waste time on Bradberry then. Like I said he was so tall and thin, looked like a WR.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree. He looks horrid. Almost Unfixable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

here are a couple. browns is the last one but you can also pickup williams in that one too. i'd be more than happy with this kid in the 7th round or later. heck i'd be happy with him earlier than that too. he would be tremendous depth.:cool:

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Again it is just what I see maybe you see something different, everyone looks at thing a bit different thought.

5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Mac, thanks for the post I really like Williams. I know these are highlight films but still he showed a lot. I like that he played inside and out, I liked that he can return kicks and punts and I liked that I can finally see a defender stay with the WR. I didn't see that with the Howard and Bradberry film, Williams also shows something these two didn't and that was break on the ball. I like when I watch a guy and they break on that WR screen and also come off their guy when the ball goes the other way. My only concern on this kid was in the redzone where he looked small, but it was hard to tell on these clips since it was not zoomed in on him.

Now my question is how do guys like Howard and Bradberry get randed so high when we sit here and look at their film and say wow wtf? While guys like Williams and Miller are projected so much later and look so much better, is it level of competition or school rand? IDK but he can play and if it is the 6-7 or FA I will take him in a heartbeat. And like you say even if he goes higher I am happy with him.

One last thing, do you think a CB from Purdue could ever make it in the NFL???:cool:

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

yes i do. kids from kent state and central mich. and miami of ohio have made it pretty big i'd say. the kid can play is all i know. :cool:

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Rod Woodson was from Purdue.....lol

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was hoping they would be there.

Unfortunately I don't think they were at Boston College's pro day. I asked Justin Simmons on twitter and he said he didn't think they were there. They could have still been there, but you think they would have met with the guy. Hopefully he still is asked to come in for a visit.

10. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
  11. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Allen counts 4.4 against the cap this year? Officer, I'd like to report a theft that will take place against the Pittsburgh Steeler starting on the opening of the season. LOL.

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    good stuff Mac, I'll definitely do some more research on those two. Williams' punt return experience is a huge plus. Not the biggest guy but surely isn't afraid to stick his nose in there. I keep reading on A Brown that he gave up 17 TDs, so that will definitely need some research for teams. 4.35 in the 40 was impressive at the combine.

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I wish, he counts 5.750 mil this year, 4.4 is what we would save if we release him after June 1

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i'm not that high on brown either, but williams is a player. he can do many things for a team. if you noticed he plays FS too. :cool:

15. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    That's what the article said but whatever, still too much for a " maybe" guy.

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Should the Steelers ultimately decide to part ways with Allen after June 1, they will save $4.4 million in salary cap space. However, such a move would result in a dead money charge of $2.7 million in 2017. The fact that the Steelers haven’t parted with Allen yet is a good sign that he’ll be allowed to compete for a starting job this year in training camp if he’s healthy enough to do so.

He has a 4.3 mil base the next 2 years(2017 & 2018) after this year and a 1.350 signing bonus also. We save the base but are on the hook for the signing bonus.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm not seeing much talk on MacKensie Alexander out here. He's a guy we've supposedly met with, and there's a chance he could be available at pick #25. I've watched all of his games on draftbreakdown at least twice. I've also focused in on him when watching other Clemson players' tapes, of particular note the Notre Dame game where he completely shut down Will Fuller. Supposedly Alexander has not given up a TD in his past 24 games. He was great in the national championship game until he injured his hammy and left the game in the 2nd quarter. He's not a big guy, but he's a day 1 pro-ready starting corner IMO. Good player.

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think he's a very good possibility if he lasts until 25. I have a notion he goes to the Dolphins at 13. They cut Grimes and McCain, but acquired Maxwell via trade. If he gets past Miami, the rest of the teams are fairly set at the position. The Redskins could possibly be in play too.

19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I like Alexander too. I think we've shown enough interest in him to consider him a possibility at 25. There's a fairly decent chance that either Apple or Jackson 3 is available at 25 too. Who do you like out of those two guys?

I think both have some serious flaws, but either could be very good players. Personally I'd prefer Apple because he has far more fluid hips and seems to be a much superior cover guy. Teams just threw away from him all the time. He's not a physical player at all tho and let's the play come to him rather than attack. This causes poor tackling form and missed tackles. WJ3 is much more physical but still doesn't have good tackling form. Kinda a lower the shoulder and hit guy instead of wrapping up. He seems to be very stiff hipped and was more prone to getting beat. Teams weren't very shy about throwing at him. That concerns me. How would these guys compare to Alexander to you? I think fairly close, but Alexander seems like a more complete player at this time. I was just curious about your thoughts.

20. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is "very confident" second-year CB Senquez Golson will "step in this year and be very productive."

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I had today off so I watched two games that were on my DVR. Clemson vs North Carolina and Houston vs SMU. To begin with, Shaq Lawson was an absolute disruption all game. Just a beast. Secondly, NC got robbed on that onside kick where they called offsides. Would have been a very interesting ending if called correctly. Anyway on to the corners, lol!

I thought Alexander was targeted just as much as the other corner Tankersley. The same for WJIII, I thought the targets were equal b/t the 2 Houston corners.

Alexander played a lot more press as Clemson likes to do. Even though he was often shaded to the inside, all of the receptions he gave up were inside slants and post patterns. There may have been one other but Clemson was in a prevent. There were other passes attempted on diff patterns but no completions. Clemson's pass rush disrupted Williams too much. Overall though Alexander was pretty sticky in his coverage. I thought Alexander turned late when running downfield with WRs but that is very nit picky. Pro day 40 in the 4.4s so he has the speed to do that. No opportunities in this game to see his open field tackling as they were all tackling the catch.

WJIII had some completions on him too this game but again tackled the catch. He did have 1 or 2 open field tackling opportunities and he made both of them. He did go low and wrapped the legs but did have a bad habit of dropping his head. Very clear on one replay. He has a slight frame and it shows in his physicality. SMU's WR Sutton (NFL build at 6'4" 215), could block him fairly easily. He played press and off and I think he would be better in off where he can use his click n close on the WR. When he was in press or man, he really did not have a lot of play awareness. This was the biggest difference I saw between the two. If the play was a run or a pass to the other side, WJIII was usually focused on his guy and the WR would just decoy him down the field. Alexander usually had his eyes inside and broke off the WR more to join in pursuit. Coachable for WJ but should be noted.

I'm glad I watched both so close together just for comparison sake. I would grade WJIII a little lower than I had before with this game and the couple others I saw. Alexander was very good but Marquise Williams only had like 5 or so pass attempts by the 3rd qrtr (very low whatever it was), so the opportunities were limited. Alexander was more feisty fighting off blocks than WJIII as well. I definitely would like to see some more. I didn't really look into him too much as I thought for sure he would be going to Oakland. Since they signed Sean Smith, they may look elsewhere. Like I said earlier maybe Miami (who could look at DE/OLB to replace Vernon) or Washington, but Alexander could definitely be in play for 25.

I have 3 OSU games on the DVR to watch so we'll see on Apple.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Cortez can still be cut, if he doesn't show anything in training camp he will be gone.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the thing that stands out to me about alexander is the (0) interceptions. when i look at the stats of these guys i want more. apple, alexander, jackson and a few others. i also am looking for guys that have done this in college for more than a couple of years. i kind of lean towards the guys that have done it for 3-4 years as more seasoned and could help us quicker. sanchez, white, canady, fuller( though his was cut short last year) and even my boy williams way down there in the 7th round rankings. there are a few others too that have a longer production than some of these higher ranked guys. maybe we should wait and work on the front seven first. this really is a deep class of good players. i'm not sure we need to go early just for the sake of getting a corner early. :shrug::cool:

24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Thanks for that. I don't really get too in depth with scouting players, just get initial reactions from watching their games live. I'm interested in your opinion on Apple since he is the one I've watched the most of. I think I like him the best of the 3, but Alexander isn't that far behind.

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers are having this small school CB in for a visit, Ryan Smith North Carolina Central 6'0 190 4.49 possible 6th or 7th rd target.