1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

CB Crawford signed

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Aug 23, 2017.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    RB Dukes released and CB Antonio Crawford from the "U" then WV signed.

Anyone know anything about our knew CB?

Cajun

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  3. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Former teammate of Artie Burns at Miami. Must have come with some sort of recommendation.

I wish the Steelers would just started the new guys for the next preseason game. Give Jacorey Shepherd and other snaps against the Colts starters to see what they can do. We already know Cockrell can't turn and run with anybody, and the cushion he gives up to compensate results in being picked apart underneath.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Signing a CB cut from another team is a little tougher this year with only one cut down day. Typically in the past, if another team had a high cap older vet and a young up and comer, they would release the vet at the first cut. This would allow some time to find a new team. This year, all cuts are at once. Could be a feeding frenzy the next day.

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am sure he is just as good at man coverage as most that we have. Heck a few kids toys are probably better, at least when a WR tripped over them the ref probably wouldn't flag it...

I am sending Coach a memo to employ the slinky Defense. 4 DL and 7 slinky's.

6. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Played with Burns and Chickillo at the U. He also started all games his senior year at WVU.

7. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    He's was a slot corner at Miami.

8. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm thinking its a ... Get to know you.... Signing for future purposes like next year futures contract.... Same with our newest WR/CB/QB we signed today also.

Cajun

9. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Antonio Crawford pro day:
    Hgt: 5100 Wght: 184
    40 Yrd: 4.56
    20 Yrd: 2.63
    10 Yrd: 1.92
    Vertical: 32 1/2
    Shuttle: 4.11
    3-Cone: 6.95

10. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    Sensabaugh was given 1st team reps, over Cockrell, in practice today.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017

OK, well, those #'s are sure better than what I found....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/corey-crawford?id=2552270

This had him running a 5.16 40.....Wow. I have never seen an NFL CB with a +5 second 40. 4.56 is a little better.

He sure doesn't sound like a very good prospect. This looks like "too little too late" kind of effort in upgrading our CBs to me.

STRENGTHS
    Looks the part out of the tunnel. Tall, well-proportioned base end with long arms. Smooth mover in space with ability to change direction and chase boot-action quarterbacks. Flashes a second gear when in close pursuit. Can get skinny and knife through gap when motivated. Mindful of contain and rarely loses sight of ball. Active with hands in passing lane when sensing pass attempt.
    WEAKNESSES
    Had more missed tackles (4) than "impact tackles" (gain of 2 yards or less that do not result in first down -- 3). Toughness seems lacking on tape. Takes too much tape work to find physical, competitive snaps. Plays too tall and shows very little fire in his hands. Too content to stay blocked. Allows tight ends to take him out of run plays and doesn't get enough mileage from his length. Disappointing play speed. Lacks upfield burst off snap to threaten edge. Must learn and develop a go-to pass-rush move.
    DRAFT PROJECTION
    Priority free agent
    BOTTOM LINE
    Has the look of an NFL starter until the tape starts running. Has some physical traits, but play demeanor, competitiveness and a lack of consistent production could overrule perceived "potential." Must have a big offseason to reestablish his draft stock.

12. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    Well, COREY Crawford is a DE. The Steelers signed ANTONIO Crawford. And I don't think signing him is an effort to 'upgrade' the secondary. We simply need another body back there because of an injury to Ducre, I believe.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Doh :facepalm:

14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    So much for that experiment.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  16. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
  17. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Wow. Did he injure himself getting off the plane in Pittsburgh?

I guess it's gonna be hectic on cut day.