1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Casserly has us taking two OL in the first two rounds

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Thigpen82, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d ... le=HP11_cp

Jonathan Martin in the first, and Amini Silatoli in the second.

Traditionally, nfl.com's mocks have been hideously wrong with predicting our picks, but how would we all felt about going for OL in the first two rounds? Can we afford to not take a DT or MLB that early?

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Solve all this by trading up for Decastro, He will solve alot of problems for the
    PGH Steelers. Casserly understands the Steelers OL stinks, this is why
    he is proposing 2 OL. Why you would piss around with these mediocre talents when you can get a ten yr starter from the get go is beyond me. People he is Alan Faneca type player, big red was the best
    OG that ever played for the PGH Steelers and possibly the third best OL to ever play for the PGH Steelers.

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I could live with this draft, but I think we will really regret if we pass on Dont'a Hightower. I think he is the next in line to join the all time great Steeler LBs.

Because I am a Defense first guy, I don't have us going OL until Round 3. However, by the time the draft is over, I do hope we draft atleast 2 and hopefully 3 OL.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if they have that chance to get both those guys they better do it, instead of the smoke and mirrors thats hightower. people on here are making this guy bigger than life with nothing to back it up with. the numbers and play are just not there. :cool:

5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    So far this board has survived the "Burflict is better than Hightower" phase, the "trade up for Poe because he's better than Hightower" phase, currently going through the "we have to have zietler over Hightower" Or "we have to have silotulu over hightower" phase. Guess the next logical phase is the "We need Martin (or adams) more than Hightower". These people fall for a reason. And face it, every mock draft we see that says 24 is too high for Hightower has him being picked by the Ravens, and saids how perfect he would be to be the next Ray Lewis.
    We've seen "He's way too slow". Cept he had one of the best 40 times at the combine. We seen "He's only a two down linebacker" quoting someone who was explaining Hightower in a 4-3, not a 3-4, where if you kept going with the comment said he would be perfect as a rush linebacker for a 3-4. "Smoke and mirrors", "nothing to back it up", and "the numbers and play are not there" are all new to me, though. He was the Most Valuable Defensive Player on the best college defense in the country. Not by vote, not by coach's pick, but by a strictly laid down set of standards that awarded grades for every play that the defense had over the course of the season.

6. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I would be ecstatic with those two picks. Those are probably my 2 favorite guys in the first two rounds as far as OL.

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Martin - Silatolu - Pouncey - Gilbert - Colon

That would be a great line and I'd be happy with that. Although I will say that the deeper I get into my grading project, the more I like Ramon Foster. I don't love him, but I like him enough to be satisfied with only one starting OL coming out of this draft. He is one strong dude. That said, he can still be replaced and I'd have no problem doing it if that's what the board dictated (what if Hightower's gone and Martin is there? Silatolu could be BPA at our pick if he's there). But Foster's not a major hole like NT/ILB, or the other OG spot.

8. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I am still leaning this way.

ILB, probably Hightower

OG or OT

OG or OT

NT

OG or OT

S

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    watch the film is all i have to say. watch his film and then watch the film of upshaw and barron and chapman and kirkpatrick and harris. watch the film of the other highly rated players on that same defense and watch hightower instead of them. film don't lie. to be the 24th pick in the draft you have to make tackles, more than 5 sacks in 4 years, defend the pass on a consistant basis, make tackles behind the line of scrimmage, make interceptions, and have more then half of all you tackles be solo's. so whom ever annointed him as the top stud of the draft needs to actually look for themselves and put his college game against the guy he will be replacing and see if what he does matches up with what we need him to do here , not at alabama with all the stellar players he has around him making him look better than he actually plays. even then he didn't make many big plays. then you can come on here and state YOUR case and not the case of someone else. i don't see him as the playmaker that we need. nor does he have the numbers to even be considered the playmaker we need at pick 24. he's larry friggin foote all over again but bigger, and maybe not as good. when ray rice runs by him down the field maybe he can yell," hey, i was the player of the year that wasen't voted on" . let the ratbirds have him if thats all the better he plays, i'd like our chances against him. pile jumpers we don't need. :cool:

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i'm dribblin. i may have to go change my shorts. LOL :o :cool:

11. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i would trade down in the first and up in the second to get bobby massie and zietler
    gilbert zietler pouncey colon massie
    oline problem solved

12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    There is a reason Casserly doesn't have a job in the NFL...HA HA!!!!

I had to laugh when Brian Billick was knocking that one QB in the draft, the dude drafted Kyle Boller, who is he to speak???

13. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd love to walk away from this draft with both Martin and Silatolu. However, I think the problem would be that both will be off the board by the time we pick in the 1st and 2nd.

14. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    i would love this we NEED OL help! we get a good OL the team is 10X better its the freaking Steeler! smdh we can get a LB later in daft! and turn him into gold! how many LBs we took early turned out great? compaired to all the GREAT ones we got in later rounds! Nuff said

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Aren't you people tired of seeing mediocre OL come thru the
    Steelers system? Other than Pouncey, Who was a number 1 pick
    and around the 17th player chosen. The Steelers talent evaluaters for OL
    have been terrible. In Decastro you have a guy that could start from day 1
    and has the potential to be an all pro for many years to come. If he is not off the board by 14,IMOA the Steelers have to move up to get him, he is that type of ball player.They moved up for Troy
    this guy can bring the same kind of talent to the OL. I see another big red all over this guy.

16. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I definitely don't see us going OL in the first two rounds of the draft. We need help on the oline bad but we were still 12-4 with that bunch. One in the first or second and one later in the draft would be great.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we are trying to protect our 30 year old , 102 million dollar qb. 45 times a year , he's on his back and injured. just think what we could turn that 12-4 into with him upright and healthy by december. we've got LB'ers. hightower isn't the top rated ilb by the way he's 2nd and by some he's 3rd. what's the difference? 102 million dollar 30 year old qb that gets sacked 45 times a year. :cool:

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah I really hope we go guard round 1. We pretty much have to the way I see it, there is no way they honestly can say Essex and Legursk are capable enough to be the starting LG day 1 next year. It is the biggest need for this team.

Spending the picks in the first 2 rounds on linemen is a little crazy though. The way this team is hesitant to even play rookies, I'm not even sure they would even consider it.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah I really hope we go guard round 1. We pretty much have to the way I see it, there is no way they honestly can say Essex and Legursk are capable enough to be the starting LG day 1 next year. It is the biggest need for this team.

Spending the picks in the first 2 rounds on linemen is a little crazy though. The way this team is hesitant to even play rookies, I'm not even sure they would even consider it.[/quote:290ov58r]

i doubt they will spend the first two picks on o-line. the 1st would be fine until later. seems they are looking at 2nd round lb'ers too. kendricks, irvin, spence are around that area. i'm sure it will depend who's there, in the first so they are covering their butts. :cool: