1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Carson Wentz

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Dec 14, 2020.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If this is the end of Big Ben, we should seriously think about trading to get Carson Wentz. I think Carson is tanking this season so that he can get out of Philly. Can we get him for a 2nd round pick and Mason Rudolph? If not, I'm willing to give up our 2021 1st round pick, it's probably going to be around the 25th pick in the first round. I think Carson will fit great in our offense, plenty of weapons.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Won't matter if Bobby U or Joe Montana is back there if certain receivers don't figure out how to catch, then run. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    With his contract, we better be sure about his ability to come back. Tack on a 1st or 2nd rounder, it better be a grand slam home run. Personally, I have my doubts.

4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The Athletic had an article about the Wentz situation last week. Eagles can’t really trade him in 2021 because of the contract they gave him, they are already screwed with the salary cap, especially if it goes down to the dreaded $175m, so they can’t afford the dead cap charge associated with getting Wentz out of the building.

The team trading for him would probably have to take on some of the guarantees to bail the Eagles out, the Eagles may even need to send a pick the other way in that unlikely scenario. Steelers certainly won’t be in a position to do it anyway. I don’t like him as a fit with the Steelers either and he is always injured.

The most likely destination if he leaves Philly is a reunion with Reich in Indianapolis. They need a QB and they have lots of cap space and a nice roster to build on. Wentz played his best football under Reich so if anybody can fix Carson Wentz it’s probably him.

edit: added to that if Ben retires there will be a $20m + dead cap charge, they can’t afford a highly paid QB on top of that so somebody like Wentz is out of the question imo

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If we could get him for a 2nd round pick and MR, than we could probably get him for a 4th round pick straight up.

He comes with a salary.

6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If Ben were to retire you be looking at a big 20 million cap hit, no way they bringing in anybody.

You will be stuck with either Mason Rudolph, Duck Hodges, or somebody they draft.

7. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I don't think Wentz tanked, he's just been a bust.

8. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If the jets are going after the Clemson QB boy doll Trevor, I would take a shot at stealing Sam Darnold from them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    For Wentz, you wait for the Eagles to cut him.

10. Andy Russell

Andy Russell Active Member

Dec 14, 2020
    I think we’d be better off with someone like Mitch Trubisky. Someone who’s actually able to roll out and throw the ball deep.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011