1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Carr benched for Jarrett Stidham

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Hanratty#5, Dec 28, 2022.

1. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    It looks like Derk Carr's last pass as a Raider was to Cam Sutton. The Raiders announced today that Carr will be benched their last 2 games and Jarrett Stidham will get the 2 starts. It sure seems that Carr is done in Las Vegas as he was asked not to even come to any more practices this season and won't be dressed for the games. The Raiders will save 30 million bucks if they release Carr at the end of the season and that looks like what will happen.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I know people are in some disbelief, but that is the 3rd coaching staff that has hinted at moving on from Him.....so where there is smoke there's usually fire. I've thought He was overrated.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    A good backup for Pickett?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He would cost way too much. I believe some team will pay Him a big (IMO a mistake) contract. I'm looking at maybe the Jets, or N.O...:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m sure he’ll want to start. If some of these marginal starters would just give it up and decide that they’re career backups and not starters, they’d be much happier and could make a pretty healthy living with more job security than they’d have as a starter.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    OH the avenues to go off of this

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Washington

• Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Very Well could be Washington.

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    While Carr has underachieved, Stidham is not the answer for the raiders. They need to go QB in the draft 1st round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope they do, this would be one less OL being drafted by Raiders we would not have to worry about them taking.
    I think Tom Brady will be in their plans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Over rated??? Not saying he is top 10, but look at all the chaos in the Raiders org since he got there, and the lack of talent. Career wise he has put up 35,000 yards with only a couple of guys who did it faster. I know there are more metrics, but surround him with a sound team and decent system and he would be a really reliable QB imho.

They benched him simply to save a 30 million payout in case of injury, and I get them wanting to move on...but the teams issues are far deeper than Carr.

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And You are leaving out that is the 3rd Coaching staff that has talked about moving on from Him.
    Passing Yards mean not that much in today's NFL.
    So yeah ....I believe He's average like the coaches that have coached Him.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I'll take that into consideration if you agree that most of not all of those coach's sucked as well lol.

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will. LoL. :thumbs_up:

15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Carr has a no trade clause so can pretty much pick where he goes. Jets, Commanders, Bucs (if Brady retires), Colts, Saints, Panthers, Falcons are all potential landing spots among others. With the no trade clause Carr has them over a barrel and they may end up cutting him unless a deal is already done in principle with a team and part of the agreement is that he is sat down to avoid injury. That would make a lot of sense actually.

I can understand this for the Raiders. Carr is in that middle class of QB’s with Cousins, Garropalo and others who can play at a very high level in the right spot but you’re winning with them rather than because of them.

The issue with this is that there is no such thing as a middle class QB contract, every time a starting QB gets re-upped they want $40m +. There are probably only a handful of guys like Mahomes and Allen who can compensate for what that contract does to the rest of your roster. I’ll take Derek Carr at $20m - $25m all day long. I don’t think you can win a Super Bowl or even compete sustainably by paying Carr or Cousins $40m unless everything else is absolutely perfect and you have a whole bunch of exceptional players on cheap rookie deals.

That said, the real problem for the Raiders in recent years has been horrendous drafting. They’ve lit pick after pick on fire with guys like Ferrell, Leatherwood, Ruggs, Annette etc. Several very high picks from recent years are not on their roster and some are even out of the league.

It’ll be interesting to see what they now do with Adams, Waller and others. It’s ‘blow it up’ again time by the looks of it. They could try to run it back again by trying to tempt Tom Brady to LV but I don’t think they have the pieces even with an upgrade over Carr

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    And Raiders gave Carr a contract extension before the start of the 2022 season.

https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-derek-carr-agrees-to-three-year-121-5m-contract-extension-with-raiders

Carr and the Raiders have agreed to terms on a three-year contract extension worth $121.5 million, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo reported Wednesday. Carr's extension runs through the 2025 season and includes a no-trade clause, per Rapoport and Garafolo. The team later announced the extension.

17. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Teams Paying way to much for qb’s that haven’t accomplished anything.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Nobody is holding a gun to these owners heads, they are really that stupid.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The Raiders are a wreck. They are basically cutting bait with Carr months after extending his contract. Three years ago, their arrow was pointing up. They had Chucky back, tons of draft capital and cap space. Now they are basically in the same boat as division foe Denver. Kind of reminds me of the Patriots with the AFC East which they won nearly every year because the Jets, Fins and Bills were basically dysfunctional. KC has little opposition other than maybe the Chargers.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I always wondered how some really stupid people become very rich. Look at Bob Kraft and Jerry Jones, they don't strike me as very intelligent people.

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Because they are smart in other things.....and none started out completely poor....no matter what they say.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Looks like Carr is exercising his no trade clause and the Raiders are going to have to cut him loose.

The Raiders had zero leverage and I always thought it was extremely optimistic of them to think they could trade him with that contract.

He spent two days with the saints last week. I’ll bet he signs there in the days after he is cut. If Carr and the Saints both wanted each other there really was no incentive to go through with a trade. They can get him for nothing now and will have much more flexibility in terms of how his contract is set up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    A total shambles from the Raiders FO, they should have rode the season out with him, put out all the right noises, and then made some back-channel approahces to some teams to see if they might be interested in a trade.

Not bench your 9 year starting QB, sling him out the building and then think you're ever going to get anything for him and that Carr is also going to tell you to get get ****ed when you try and set up a trade after you just publicly **** on him.

Clown show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    Same true with the talent in politics

25. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    I wouldn't have thought Saints, but they looked better than their record and they had little good QB play. Plus the fans dress up like the Raider, but more fun in their outfits.