1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Carlton Haselrig Documentary

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Nov 17, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    it's funny that you question my reading of your post while you so badly misunderstand mine. I didn't say you argued that football couldn't have caused it. I suggested that you may be trying to minimize the issue. Fans doing that is exactly why the league has gotten away with its shameful history in this area. I have been asking every sports fan I know if they knew about the race morning the league engaged in. Most didn't. Somehow the league got the story to fade away.

If I played football? You think I'm going to lie about that just to impress you or something?

Yeah, you're really the reasonable one here. :rolleyes:

Here is the difference. Nobody ever made money off me playing football. The league has made money off its players as they sacrifice their health for the game. I can deal with that reality. Can you?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I know that you had strong feelings on the matter from previous posts and I can't fault you in any of those and your reasoning makes perfect sense. How you chose to respond is up to you and I won't discuss how you go about that because it is completely a personal approach and we all have our own way. As some one who has looked into the topic as much as you have I will defer to your experience but I still think the MMA point has some validity in while it is not the hundreds or thousands of collisions that a standard NFL career might have it certainly has to have some effect. Looking at Ali's career he had 61 fights. At what point was most of the damage done? I mean is it that far fetched to talk about the cumulative effects of all his athletic career.

thank you for satisfying that curiosity. I will have to go back and look at the Hines Ward comments on Ben because I impression was that Ward was talking less about Ben being honest with the doctors and being ruled out and more with the comments that seemed to add drama where Ward thought there should be any. I am probably misremembering it because these things happen as we get older.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm trusting my own memory on the Ward thing, which may not be perfect. I may go look it up again, too. I do believe he eventually apologized. I was more disturbed by Ward talking about how he had lied to team doctors so he would be allowed to play on multiple occasions.

You wrote that Ali fought 61 times. Haselrig had only five MMA matches. This compared to 68 games in the NFL, with a lineman involved in dozens of collisions each time, not to mention practices that featured a lot more contact than what is allowed in the modern NFL. Where was the damage done? That would be like walking out into a hurricane with a hose and asking which got the ground wet. (I hope you won't mind indulging my inclusion of a little hyperbole with my simile.)

Edit: I found one of the articles written when Ward apologized for his comments about Roethlisberger.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...-criticizing-steelers/A4Wi7d4t0dtShOfcMZvAUO/

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Someone doesn't know a thing about any fighting sport it appears. How many times You take a Hit in just training for an up ,and coming fight. Nobody does some laps, pumps some weights, does a walk through, and jumps in the ring..
    Talk about arguments with arrogant ignorance .

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Don't know what school You went to, but mine made money on the football program.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He still only had five bouts, as opposed to five seasons in the NFL. There is a massive difference in the number of blows to the head. You made a poor argument. I helped to expose that. Get over it.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Your high school program made money? Please note I very clearly stated that I played in high school.

Also, even if it did, it wasn't a multi-billion dollar business like the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  8. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Try not to twist your ankle stepping off of your soapbox. Christ man, you are one tightly wound dude.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No You clearly don't know much about the fight game. It's OK. Unless You have done it , or follow it closely.....You wouldn't...., but instead of admitting this You just keep on keeping on. LoL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not only that He knows nothing about any fighting games. I know in boxing, and kickboxing We've trained from 3- 4 weeks to 6- 8 weeks before each fight, and that's sparing every day, or every other day until about 5- 7 days before the fight. That's only amateur. The only difference with that and the pros is they get more time for training. I would believe MMA is very similar. :shrug: That's a lot of head shots. Unless You are specifically training other things that day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Not to mention, this all started with a comment from @SteelerGlenn , legitimately wondering if mma contributed. Of course it contributed. It doesn't take a team of scientists studying brain injuries to understand that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    There is another former Steelers player whose wife is relentless and a game changer in confronting the NFL on CTE. Ralph Wenzel played 5 years for Steelers.

The shorter story

https://steelersdepot.com/2012/06/f...fter-suffering-from-alzheimers-type-dementia/

The longer story and several excerpts from story below.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-widow-gives-voice-to-quiet-hero-ralph-wenzel/

When Wenzel was forced into assisted living, the NFL was silent on the issue of brain disease. Perfetto was not. In 2008, she confronted NFL commissioner Roger Goodell after she was barred from a meeting about late-life care for retired players.

In 2009, she gave passionate testimony about her husband's deterioration before a House Judiciary Committee hearing on head injuries.

In 2010, Perfetto was the first to file a workers' compensation claim with the NFL, arguing the injuries Wenzel suffered on the field led to his dementia. Since, hundreds of players have followed suit with similar claims.

Perfetto's efforts have resonated in part because her doctorate gives her more credibility on health care issues. Furthermore, as a senior director at Pfizer, she is gainfully employed with excellent health insurance unlikely to be viewed as an NFL wife looking to cash in.

"I'm not looking for money," she said. "I'm looking for change."

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Webster lived about 3 miles from me and I passed his house every day on the school bus while in HS. Beautiful house with swimming pool that you could look down onto from the road. I remember when I heard he was living under a bridge instead. Such a tragic downfall.

Mike Webster's character in Concussion was played by an acquaintance of my mom's best friend. He did an outstanding job of acting. He was actually a local police officer who never acted before professionally as I recall her telling me.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Spoken like someone on the losing end of a discussion.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Huh? David Morse played Mike Webster in Concussion, which came out in 2015. Morse has dozens of acting credits going back to 1980, including a prominent role for seven seasons on St. Elsewhere. His movie credits include The Rock, The Green Mile, and The Hurt Locker. He played significant supporting roles in at least two of those.

You must be thinking of another movie or some other story entirely.

16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Maybe

17. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Oh my friend, you are truly in a bad way. You appear to be in bad need of a win. You can have it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    That was one of the most terrible things I've ever read. I had no idea. I am very sad for Hasselrig and his family. Race norming indeed! disgusting

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I thought the actor who portrayed Webster did a great job.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I had forgotten that David Morse played Webster. Loved him in St. Elsewhere which was must see TV for me back in the 80s.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe I watched Hart to Hart during that time slot.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    How gracious of you to give me what I already have. What's next? Will you award me a master's degree?

23. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Sure. Have it. If it makes you step back and take a breath, I'm all for it

• Like Like x 1
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Constant blows to the head even in the slightest over time will damage. The puff helmets in training camp shows limited understanding of the brain. Some people will say "Look they are protecting the player"
    The issue is the brain moves in the cranium and bashes itself. The fines and penalties will continue. Its a physical game the last I checked. And I for one like nothing more than a good clean hit for example Kazee's last week.

Make no mistake, Goodell and his goons are only worried about the money. As well as the owners.

Haselrig was a great player. A solid Pittsburgh Steeler.

Michelle Haselrig said her husband had “absolutely not” been told his scores would be adjusted because he was Black.

She has refiled a claim, believing “the score was tainted,” and is now playing the “waiting game” to see what the league will determine.

Beyond just attempting to get settlement money, Michelle Haselrig fondly recalls her husband, the father of her children and one of the most accomplished athletes ever to come from Johnstown.

“I love my husband very much,” she said, “and I’m very proud of him. But I’m also sad what happened to him, and I will fight for him to the day I die.”

How sad this is :facepalm: See, they don't give a $hit and just put on a dog and pony show.

All the money this league makes they can at least have a fund for CTE. Take care of the players after football.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1