1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Carl Nicks?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dusty1, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Is it possible to even consider picking up Nicks. What would it take? My first thought is that we probably couldn't afford it.

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He'll be the highest paid guard in the history of the NFL.

Enough said lol

3. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Really? Wow...

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ben Grubbs would be another dude I wouldn't mind having, Ravens might have to give him up, they have a lot of big contracts to sign right now.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He would be a great addition to be sure, but you're initial thought that we can't afford it is almost certainly a reality. Same goes for Grubbs. The more that I look into Cordy Glenn, the more I think that he can and will be the same type of player as Nicks. I am getting really high on him as our 1st rounder.

6. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    can we cut some people and get him?

7. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Here we go again....

8. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Not as impossible as you might think....we could do what the Jets did to Faneca.....you sign him long term...big signing bonus...low base contract early... (jahari evans has a 3 mill base this year) once he is here...he is either worth the money...and you restructure as needed..or you cut him like the Jets did Faneca

Hack

9. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Not their style, not gonna happen.

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, just because it's technically possible doesn't make it possible. We'd be far better off using that money like we always do: retaining our best young players. And then drafting for the OL. If we miss on the draft (maybe we get Hightower and a NT 1-2 or something) then we could get a cheaper vet. We're not the guys that hand out the biggest contracts in history to someone that hasn't already been killing it with the Steelers for years.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It is my understanding that the Vikings are looking at him hard to replace Hutchinson.

12. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Dude was drafted in the fifth in 2008. Sound like the got good value for a fifth rounder.

13. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    And to think the Steelers COULD have had him with their 5th round pick that year. Instead they pick Dennis Dixon!

14. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Oh, you had to go do that...i still don't understand that dixon pick four years later.

15. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

Of course...since you mentioned when he was picked I had to remind everyone what coulda been.

16. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Never said it would happen...I said it was more possible than one would think.

Also it really should probably happen. Our current starting G's are both undrafted FA...the Steelers were content to make Faneca the highest paid G in football not once....but twice....Nicks is 26 years old and arguably the best G football.

The guy has given up like 5 sacks in his career...You want to protect your franchise (Ben) Then this is a good start

He easily has another 4 years in him at a very high level...and is a known commodity. Or you could spend high draft picks and possibly get Kendall Simmons, or Kraig Urbik

HACK

17. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    We all know it SHOULD happen and would help/etc...but I think most if not all of us would be completely shocked if they went after him or any other high end FA.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    his qb is mobile and gets the ball out quick. this helps those numbers. after being here a year, he may give up that many in half a season with ben. :cool:

19. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I agree mac...but by that same thought...might as well try to sign Kemo to a cheaper deal if it wont matter if you have the best G or a middle of the pack guard (yes I know people say he is the worse in the league...and to those people I say
    watch more football)

HACK