1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Carl Nicks or Brandon Carr?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Scrap, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I would love to see either of these players get signed out of free agency should they not be tagged.

However, would it even be possible with our cap situation? Signing either one of these guys would give us alot more freedom in the draft. Brandon Carr is a great cover guy and he is still quite young and Carl Nicks some would say is one of the best guards in the game.

Any thoughts?

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Nicks is one of the best in the game and he plays the position we need more than anything... but no, it won't happen. Not even if we weren't already over the cap. It would never happen, but this year it's extra not going to happen. He'll be looking for as much money as possible, and that's one thing the Steelers never do. I'm guessing Carr's in the same boat.

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    This x5

4. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I love your Spartacus quote!!!!!

5. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

=p

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought the Vikings were going after Nicks as a replacement for Hutchinson.

7. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    man I would love to have Nicks

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I wouldn't go with either, even if we had the cap space. I'm actually pretty happy with the development of our young corners over the course of the season, and I wouldn't break the bank to get another (although i am up for drafting another if he's the BPA at a spot). As for Nicks, for the same amount of money that it would cost to get Nicks and 2 bad O linemen, we could get 3 solid O linemen (and we need a lot of help on the line).

9. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Huh?

10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Nicks will get a BIG contract. Let's call it 10M/yr for simplicity. If you sign Nicks at 10M and 2 mediocre players at 1M/yr each, you have 12M/yr for 3 players. Or, you can spend the 12M/yr on 3 decent players at 4M/yr each. Now, this is all simplified for the example. I am aware that contracts aren't structured as simply as X/yr. The point is that we're not 1 great player away from having a good O-line. We need more help than that. We are (at least) 2-3 good players away from having a good O-line. If we only needed 1, then Nicks would be a better choice.

11. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm ignoring free agency all together this year, we have to worry about Mike Wallace and getting under the cap... We never sign big names anyway, so there's no way it happens this season especially.

12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah but the real head scratcher is when Colbert was talking about the time they spend evaluating other teams free agents. Does this seem like a wise use of time considering that they almost never are active during the FA period.

13. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Nicks will get a BIG contract. Let's call it 10M/yr for simplicity. If you sign Nicks at 10M and 2 mediocre players at 1M/yr each, you have 12M/yr for 3 players. Or, you can spend the 12M/yr on 3 decent players at 4M/yr each. Now, this is all simplified for the example. I am aware that contracts aren't structured as simply as X/yr. The point is that we're not 1 great player away from having a good O-line. We need more help than that. We are (at least) 2-3 good players away from having a good O-line. If we only needed 1, then Nicks would be a better choice.[/quote:3oe9lngf]
    I see. This is all just for fun anyway, since we don't have $12M to spend, but I see your point. Problem is, since when can we rustle up 3 decent offensive line players, just like that? And I think you're wrong. One stud player like Nicks would make a huge difference. Three of our five starting positions are set. Gilbert at LT, Pouncey at C, and Colon at RT. If we had Nicks at LG, we'd only have one spot to fill, plus the backup OT spot. And Foster isn't that terrible anymore, not to mention we'd probably draft someone to replace him. Then our line would be done.

14. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I see. This is all just for fun anyway, since we don't have $12M to spend, but I see your point. Problem is, since when can we rustle up 3 decent offensive line players, just like that? And I think you're wrong. One stud player like Nicks would make a huge difference. Three of our five starting positions are set. Gilbert at LT, Pouncey at C, and Colon at RT. If we had Nicks at LG, we'd only have one spot to fill, plus the backup OT spot. And Foster isn't that terrible anymore, not to mention we'd probably draft someone to replace him. Then our line would be done.[/quote:tbkkw084]

If there ever was a year to find those three Snack this would be the year. Early reports had over 600 players will be hitting the free agent market this off-season. No I think guys like Brees, Mario Williams, Arian Foster and so on will be gone before the market opens, their teams making them a priority that is still going to be plenty of average players on the open market. Too bad the team is up against the cap and can't really go after some of those players.

15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I see. This is all just for fun anyway, since we don't have $12M to spend, but I see your point. Problem is, since when can we rustle up 3 decent offensive line players, just like that? And I think you're wrong. One stud player like Nicks would make a huge difference. Three of our five starting positions are set. Gilbert at LT, Pouncey at C, and Colon at RT. If we had Nicks at LG, we'd only have one spot to fill, plus the backup OT spot. And Foster isn't that terrible anymore, not to mention we'd probably draft someone to replace him. Then our line would be done.[/quote:1bk3z1tg]

Well, we differ significantly on the evaluation of our talent on the O-line. Colon hasn't really played meaningful football in 2 years, so I'm not sure that he will be the same player that we remember from '09 (which was a pretty good player, but nothing special). Gilbert at LT has me downright scared for Ben's life. When we picked him in the 2nd round, I felt it was a wasted pick. I have seen nothing to tell me otherwise yet, much less anything that would indicate that he's ready to protect our franchise QB's blind side next year. Maybe in 2013, Gilbert will be ready to be a full time RT, but LT? I don't see it. He's way to slow to change direction. I really hope I'm wrong on him, because it sounds like we are putting our eggs in that basket (throw it quick, Ben!). Foster is a backup at best. The way I see it, we need 2 guards, a left tackle and maybe a RT - or maybe figure on Gilbert being able to fill in adequately if Colon isn't what he was 3 years ago. Nicks would be a great addition, but not if it meant that we could only afford mediocre talent at 2-3 other spots.

16. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Take anything Colbert says with a grain of salt until after the draft.

17. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I see. This is all just for fun anyway, since we don't have $12M to spend, but I see your point. Problem is, since when can we rustle up 3 decent offensive line players, just like that? And I think you're wrong. One stud player like Nicks would make a huge difference. Three of our five starting positions are set. Gilbert at LT, Pouncey at C, and Colon at RT. If we had Nicks at LG, we'd only have one spot to fill, plus the backup OT spot. And Foster isn't that terrible anymore, not to mention we'd probably draft someone to replace him. Then our line would be done.[/quote:a6panha1]

Well, we differ significantly on the evaluation of our talent on the O-line. Colon hasn't really played meaningful football in 2 years, so I'm not sure that he will be the same player that we remember from '09 (which was a pretty good player, but nothing special). Gilbert at LT has me downright scared for Ben's life. When we picked him in the 2nd round, I felt it was a wasted pick. I have seen nothing to tell me otherwise yet, much less anything that would indicate that he's ready to protect our franchise QB's blind side next year. Maybe in 2013, Gilbert will be ready to be a full time RT, but LT? I don't see it. He's way to slow to change direction. I really hope I'm wrong on him, because it sounds like we are putting our eggs in that basket (throw it quick, Ben!). Foster is a backup at best. The way I see it, we need 2 guards, a left tackle and maybe a RT - or maybe figure on Gilbert being able to fill in adequately if Colon isn't what he was 3 years ago. Nicks would be a great addition, but not if it meant that we could only afford mediocre talent at 2-3 other spots.[/quote:a6panha1]
    "Pretty good" makes him special around these parts! :roflmao:

Foster is growing on me. I'm not saying he's the solution long-term, but I think he's improved enough that I'm okay spending our first two picks filling in the LG spot and then something else, like ILB or NT or DB. I see him as a decent placeholder. I agree that I am doing a lot of projecting on Gilbert. I have seen very little of him on the left side. But I think you're too hard on his rookie performance. He was in fact a rookie, and it stands to reason he will be much better this year than last year. Marvel Smith had plenty of problems when he was a youngster too, but he steadily improved. He had some rough spots, but I thought he was mostly pretty good. A lot of the sacks he allowed were the kind where he runs the guy past the pocket, and the guy just keeps running around and eventually gets Ben, who has been scrambling and still has the ball. As for Colon, I just don't think he'll be any worse than '09. Call it a hunch, I guess. It's not like he had neck surgery or an ACL tear. He had the achilles, which worried me, but he recovered from that. This is just a tricep, and he'll have had an entire year to recover from it (he supposedly is already 100%, with several months to spare). He's never shown problems with staying in shape like Big Snack or Starks. I'm just not worried about it.

18. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    i would take nicks in a heartbeat if the price was right (which it, unfortunately, won't be)