1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cap Space

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by We need a change, Jan 17, 2018.

1. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    We only have $3 mill or so left in the kitty. We will need to sign Bell somehow and find an ILB and a Safety. I’m thinking we save 8.1 on Mitchell, 2.2 on Gay and over 8 on Gilbert, he didn’t play anyway. May need to restructure Ben?

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    McDonald is probably going to be asked to take a pay cut also. Mitchell will save about 5. I don’t see them getting rid of Gilbert and he just restructured so it would be a lot of dead money down the road.

3. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    How did this team go from being in such good shape last year with the cap to once again struggling to stay under it?

Moreover, could someone explain to me how the Patriots are able to reload year after year and never seem to have any cap trouble? Is it management being smart? Players just taking less to play there? I'm not sure what it is.

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Wouldn't surprise me if they extended Ben...

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The train to cap savings starts right at the feet of Mikey "The Mouth" Mitchell. Ummm Mikey make sure you take ALL your things with you. 5.1 mill savings. Can't wait to see that news.

Ben might get an extended 2 years. Heyward might be asked the same. I believe they are going to franchise Bell again.

No Way Dupree gets the 5th year option.

The figures are staggering:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...y-cap-situation-kevin-colbert-mike-tomlin-nfl

6. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bell tweeted out “let’s get this done ✅” earlier today. Maybe they are close to a deal working off of where they were last year.

7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I think Bell is probably gone or they would have extended Haley. His offense was perfect for a Bell type of back. If the reports are true, you think Munchak could run an offense that actually utilizes Bell?

8. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    I’d say we won’t know till they know I guess

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Question and i know its not a concern right now and shouldnt be but what aboit shazier? Was his deal not up? What happens if he makes a full recovery?

Personally i wouldnt ever want to play again but he might is cleared.

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Bell is staying. All the B’s hang out together and play madden on Saturday nights. They are very close. Ben and McDonald went to the movies yesterday and invited bell as well. Heard they discussed how they can save cap space over a game of monopoly.

In all seriousness he will be back

• Like Like x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    We have 2, 697,525 according to OTC, we can save:

5.1 cutting Mitchell
    4.6 cutting Vance........hope to re sign at a lower price
    3.125 cutting Wilcox.....never played anyways
    1.75 cutting Gay.........I think we keep him
    1.475 cutting Golden.......bye bye
    1.4 cutting Sensabaugh.......we have Allen and Sutton to step up
    3 mil cutting Alualu...........we have lots of money tied up on Heyward and Tuitt(26mil) we need to find a cheap back up.

That right there frees up 20.4 mil, yes we have to replace these guys but imo they would be easy to replace. Our starters are set we need cheap back ups with potential and most of these guys are replaceable. Is there an injury exemption for Shazier, that would also be another 8 mil. If we extend Ben there could be more money saving to put towards Bell. Don't get me wrong it will be hard but there are ways to get it done and improve the team as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I thought they picked up his 5th-year option. $8.7MM cap hit.

I have no idea how an Injury Settlement affects the cap.

13. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ok. So they already picked it up. I was a year behind i guess.

14. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Yeah, just found it on the PP website. Picked it up in late April.

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Plus it is guaranteed for injury....

16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

They aren’t cutting McDonald.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    I hope they don’t cut Alualu either, he’s a great end, he played better than Tuitt

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Does that # include the space needed for the draft and UDFA's ? I recall thinking we had a ton of space last year or the year before and it turned out we didn't have as much as we thought.

We may need to part ways with Tuitt if he's not willing to take a pay cut. Heyward and Ben would probably restructure. Can we re work Haden's deal and give him an extension? If we put Shazier on the IR for next year that frees up some $. Mitchell should be cut. If he wants to come back at the vet min. then keep him as a back up. Brown signed a 4 year deal worth $68million. We can't give him some $ up front and extend the years?

We draft a good TE and McDonald could be a goner. Or give him an extension. Think he's still got 2 years from the deal he signed in SF.

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    McDonald isn't going anywhere. He emerged as exactly what they needed at tight end, including a great performance against the Jaguars.

I don't think they would cut Alualu, either. Depth is already a problem on the defensive line even with him.

Gilbert isn't going, either. If anything, it will be Hubbard who goes. He is a free agent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    If McDonald is cut someone will snap him up. He is signed for a few.
    Gay should be gone. Could help as a coach.
    AluAlu is signed for next season at 3.6. He is worth that for experienced depth. Played solid.
    Sensabaugh bye bye
    Golden I think they keep for special teams and because we are really thin at safety.
    Wilcox couldn't get on the field for Mitchell he is gone

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They aren't cutting McDonald after giving the 49ers our 4th rd pick in 2018 for him.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I like Vance and was one of the guys that talked him up when we traded for him however he is signed for 4.6 this year, 5.1 in 2019 & 6.4 in 2020 & 2021. That's a lot of cash for a team with cap problems. Vance missed a lot of time and only managed 14 rec for 188 yds and 1 td, he has never had more than 30 receptions in a season. I can see the Steelers cutting him and then re signing him, jmo.

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    That number is our space right now not including draft picks. As for Tuitt no way in heck does he take a pay cut since we just gave him a 5 yr 60 mil extension and we would have to eat 10.4 mil to only free up 3.2 mil of space, not worth it. Haden is signed for the next 2 years with a cap hit of 11.9 each of those years, he is still only 28 now so I hope we extend him and save some money there.

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    haden is quite pricey too. i hope they make a deal with him though. DHB, gay, mitchell, golden, wilcox, fort, crawford alone saves about 13-14 mil. haden is over 8 mil. LJ would be 1.5 mil. these guys alone would save us around 24 mil. but..........

we lose chickillo, harrison, moats at OLB.--- we have kion lewis in the wings.

lose fort??, spence, shazier??? < another 8.7 mil. at ILB.--- we have kelsey in the wings.

lose haden, gay, crawford ?? at CB.--- we have hilton signed. brian allen?

lose mitchell, golden, wilcox at safety.--- we have brian allen?

lose LJ at qb.----???

lose DHB, eli rogers, hunter at WR ---- we have marcus tucker , justin thomas under contract.

that only leaves us 34 players under contract. :cool:

25. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I wondered how the Pats do it after hearing early in the year they were one of the teams with the most cap space.

So I did the unthinkable I went to their official website to look at their roster.

They don't have near the talent we do but they do a great job of finding talent to fit their system.

Some years they have had injuries to their offensive line and they just plug in another guy, same as their slot receivers.

More then half of their roster is on their first contracts that keeps your costs down.

Some years they draft 7 and sign 7 more un drafted and out of those 14 picks 10 or 11 make the 53 man roster 2 or 3 the practice squad and one got injured.

Some years we draft 3 rd or 4 th round guys that get cut 3 or 4 weeks into camp or throw away a pick on a long snapper.