1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cap Situation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Scrap, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    So it looks like we got our self into a tricky situation with that uncapped year to try and push for one more SB and it almost worked. But we didn't win that SB and now we are left with the aftermath.

It appears they will have to ask several of our long time vets to accept pay reductions or to cut them outright. That is a given and we know which players that will be, Hampton, Hines and Farrior for sure and possibly others. Now it seems (and this was mentioned after Mike Florio's interview with Ed Bouchette) that we really may have to choose between Wallace and Brown this year. I just see no feasible way to keep them both after another year without losing players at other positions and we cannot afford that either.

Now obviously the most strategic thing to do is put the RFA 1st Round Tender on Wallace and hope we get a first round pick out of it. The problem with that is, it is very likely he could go to a team that has a low 1st Round spot and a team that is a rivalry of ours (ie The Patriots). Now of course those of us who are fans of Wallace would hate that but what can you do. Now there is some truth to Wallace being "soft". He really doesn't GO for balls he just hopes they come to them and does his magic when they do. But regardless, he is a freakish athlete and a player you really hate to lose when he is so young. However, being able to lock in Antonio Brown I'm sure will end up being well worth is he is the more complete receiver IMO.

Other than that, do you guys think players like Ben, Harrison or Troy would be willing to restructure and get maybe more money upfront and spread the back end money throughout the next few years? I am just surprised the FO let us get in this position with out cap as this is an uncommon place for our franchise to be in, but as I said earlier I guess they felt they could take another strike at a SB and they came as close as you can get without actually winning it. But thats worth nothing now and bad as that sounds.

Anyways, I am sure alot of this thread is rehashed and beating the dead horse kind of thing but what do you guys feel would be the Steelers best moves to clean up this situation and how do you think it will effect our future?

2. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think Ben will restructure if we can get him some more offensive weapons

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think there are still alot of things they can do to get under the cap and have some money. foote,allen,mendy,hines,kemoeatu,jon scott. those guys are about 14-15 mil.. it depends on how much wallace wants. they won't break the bank for him. they will take a first rounder and move on. we have RB's in place to take over if needed. we will get some lower priced backup qb's, kickers and maybe even lb'ers like ivy. we will use our young db's instead of gay. we will use cromartie-smith as the bu safety with mundy. we will use ziggy instead of hampton. sanders and brown and add a FA wr that isn't alot of money and a draft pick. it just depends on who they think will be able to cover what position out of the younger guys. it may force them to use the younger guys more then they really want to at this point. they will work it out, they have no choice. a first round pick added to our first round pick gives them alot of wiggle room. NE still has alot of players to sign and they also need to fill some positions just like everyone else. :cool:

5. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Hampton is suppose to get $8m and Foote $2.5m. Eliminating those 2 right there takes a big chunk.

6. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Do we actually save that much against the cap if we cut them though? Doesn't some of Hampton's $8M still count against the cap even if we cut him?

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    From what Mac was saying over the weekend the new CBA rules governing bonuses applying to the cap don't go into effect till the start of the official league year. So if they are looking to save money they have to cut him before then which would be pretty darn soon. Colbert said that this week they would be finishing evaluating other teams FAs and would then look at their own would means late this week early next for cuts

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    my understanding is we would save about 2.6 mil. with casey this year and about 2.4 mil. with foote. now there is a 1 mil. workout bonus we would owe casey if he's not cut before march 13th or there abouts. if we have to pay that it means he drops to 1.6 mil in savings. i'm sure they don't want to add 1 mil. more if they are going to cut him loose. i'm not sure how the injury plays into this. :cool: