1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cap Reality

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersFanIrl, Jan 20, 2020.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    It will save us 19 mil but also will be 12.5 of dead money. So he would still count 12.5 on our cap next year is it really worth it to save 19 mil? I guess how he plays this season will tell, I remember not long ago they ate all of Woodley's salary I think 8-9 mil if I remember right.

2. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Here is what I found:

There is a minimum amount of money that a team can put towards their caps. All 32 teams are required to spend at least 89 percent of their caps.

Teams don’t have to spend their 89 percent every year, however. This requirement must be the average amount spent over the four year spending period. The current spending period started in 2017 and will continue through 2020.

The second requirement is that the league as a whole must spend 95 percent of its total cap space. So the average percent of cap spending must come out to 95 percent every year, or the remaining money will be given to the players. This rule also applies over the course of the spending period.

So, those are the limitations placed on the NFL owners and general managers when they work out their players contracts. How do the contracts actually work?

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This. It’s better than the 0 money we saved last year....

4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    True but you can't fault a team for injuries. The way I look at it is we have a vet QB who is signed(why the team did it idk) so you roll with him until his contract is up. 12.5 is a lot to eat imo but I do understand 19 mil is a lot of space......especially in Steelerland. Thinking about it 19 mil we could sign a OLB who walks on water.........:shrug::shrug::shrug::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Nah I know you can’t predict injuries but I’m saying at least if his arm falls off we can at least re coup some money. I’m not sure how it would work if his elbow forces him to retire next year?

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    As much as I don't like Ben off the field he is still good on the field. You have to have a good QB in the NFL and as long as you have that there is a chance......we learned that this year. :( As far as money goes if he retires I think we get relief but I think the signing bonus part still counts unless they get him to give it back. I am not sure if they got money back last year I am pretty sure his salary is like 70-75% covered by insurance. This is not fact just what I have read in other sports so if someone knows the real deal don't jump down my throat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I thought I hit refresh and I didn’t see a reply to his question so I gave him like the exact same answer then I saw your answer........

I’m going to go back and delete my response

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

It's all good bro.......:thumbs_up:

9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Most of his salary is guaranteed for injury. If he has to retire due to injury during 2020 they still have to pay him for both 2020 and 2021. That is the worst possible outcome for all parties.

You are right in that if he retires or gets waived after 2020 they get $19m cap relief. I think that second year is very much a ‘wait and see’ year. It’s easy for either party to move on if that is what they want. No chance they ask him for his signing bonus back if he retires by choice IMO

If Ben goes down injured early in 2020 that’s almost certainly the end for him and his contract might go down as one of the worst ever in the NFL

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t know if it’s the worst outcome for both parties? Ben will get paid to not even have to play...

11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Ben wants to play though. Yes he comes off better than the Steelers in that situation for sure but we have to believe that he wants to be healthy and lead the team

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Correct but teams have insurance on players and it is like 70-75%. This isn't cap related or cap relief but will be money back into the Rooney's pocket. This just happened with Cespedes and the Mets.

• Like Like x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah but everything bad happens with the Mets....:hehehe:

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Stop stop stop being a mets fan is bad enough.......lol

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Yes, like still paying Bobby Bonilla 1.19 million a year till 2035..not a bad return on a deal he made when they owed him just under 6 million when they released him in 2000. I think he struck (or rather his agent) a similar deal with the Orioles that amounts to about 250,000 a year (not sure when that ends). That is peanuts for what BB players make today, but I still smile when I think a part of each Mets tickets a fan buys is going to a guy who has not played for them in over 20 years.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Blah blah blah......the sad part is the Mets aren't the only one's but the media like to point out every bad thing they do......which is a lot. :(

Braves are still paying former reliever Bruce Sutter, who played with the Braves from 1985 to 1988. The 1979 NL Cy Young Winner signed a six-year, $9.1 million deal with the Braves before the 1985 season, but Sutter opted to have the money deferred.

“Sutter was only paid about $750,000 per year while under the Braves’ control,” Lewis wrote. “For the thirty years after he retired — 30!!! — the Braves agreed to pay him no less than $1.12 million per year, and potentially more if interest rates spiked above a negotiated floor of 12.3 percent. [They haven’t.] That ends in 2021, so Bruce Sutter, at some point this year, received or will receive a check for $1.12 million.”

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. steeler_george

steeler_george Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2020
    As far as releasing Ben, that is the big unknown by the FO and especially Ben.

If he comes back 80-90%, with a few small tweaks on offense, and with this D...we are in the superbowl!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    For sure, IDK the current situation for the Bucs, but when Dave Parker signed his first extension with the Bucs my father was furious. The contract would still be paying him long after his career ended. The reason the Mets get picked on so much is because they are in a major market, and are always going to bang heads with the Yankees.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Releasing Big Ben...lol
    He will leave upon retirement, take it to the bank.

20. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    There is chance Ben is released before the 2021 season.......

Ben re-injures his elbow in preseason , Mason Rudolph plays the entire season and leads us to the SB winning our 7th ring AND he wins SB MVP......

Yep, there is a chance

Cajun
    <><

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Mason leads them to SB and MVP :roflmao:

22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    :roflmao:

3SBs Big Ben will still be on the roster in 2021 sinking or swimming, he just might not have to show up at the facility.

23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    While I believe a team can try and recoup some of the money, in a circumstance like this I doubt the Steelers would. Like the Colts last year with Luck, I just cannot see the Rooney's going after the cash.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    No you’re right I don’t see that either but I think if he can no longer play or retires or cut I believe 12 mil of his salary is guaranteed and there’s 19mil. we would get back in cap space. Something like that...I know if we straight up cut him next year and say thank you for your service we would be on the hook for 12mil and have 19mil in cap space.. If I’m not mistaken the signs bonus is part of that and I think that was the same scenario with Luck. They didn’t go after that. Then again I could have no idea what I’m talking about....:smiley1:

25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If Ben is released because of hi injury it is a 52mil cap hit this year; all of his Bonus money and injury guaranteed Salary would count against the 2020 cap.

The only saving you would see is his roster Bonus money. CBA rules for their final year is that we will not be able to spread any of this to next year.

He will remain on the roster for the life of his contract even if he never plays again; so the Steelers can spread his cap cost into 2021.