1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't believe the Rankings

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by S.T.D, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think it's all perception based mixed with bias. Bowls aren't a good barometer to guesstimate which conferences are better/deeper than other conference. I don't think counting NCs and how many different teams from a given conference won a NC is as well. For instance, the ACC has won 3 championships with 2 different teams in the past 10 years. I really don't think that determines the strength of the ACC in 2021. Nor should LSUs title a few years ago factor into the SEC, Nor should OSUs 7ish years ago factor into the B10s.

Problem with bowl games is coaching turnover, plus high-grade draft prospects opting out. The team you see in a given bowl game isn't the same team you see week 10 of the season. Bowl games amount to nothing more than a post-season exhibition. I'm really not sure that bowl wins nor bowl losses should have any bearing on a team's rank. You're ranking after the conference championship week should be your final ranking, even if you lose by 50 to your bowl opponent. Heck, I'm not sure if early season matchups determine strength either. Just because team's grow so much between a early week 3 matchup and the final week.

What's an objective way to look at conference strength/depth? I just don't think there is a solid tool to factor this. I do think Bama and UGA are the top two teams and will prove it with ease. But that doesn't mean that if you line up the 3s through 14s that the SEC will come out on top, but that doesn't mean that it won't either.

I live in P12 country, and really stands out to me is how small these teams are. Even the HS teams in Portland look like they have 2A sized lines in Pa when they're 6A sized schools. WSU and Oregon State looks like MAC or Sun Belt teams.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will never forget a National Championship between LSU, and Oklahoma (won lots on it) they were comparing size strength, and Speed between schools before the game. It was a crazy amount of difference.
    I can't remember the exact stats but it was something like Oklahoma had 6 guys on the team that benched and Squatted X amount where LSU had 20. Oklahoma had 7 guys that ran X time in the 40, and LSU had almost 30, and on , and on.
    That's why when I talk about the SEC ...people think I don't think other teams have talent. That's false.
    I just think the SEC has more. Let's put players in an A,B,and C ranking.
    Like I think for Example Michigan has as many A type players as Bama, and Georgia, but I would bet Bama, and Georgia has way more B type players. If this was not football that wouldn't matter, but it is ...so it does.

3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Teams across conferences and across the country are built differently. Teams typically build for what they want to do and how to stop/exploit their conference opponents. The typical B12 school is built for the air raid offense, meaning high tempo/precision passing. SEC is pro style with spread elements. B10 is pro style, but not as fast as the SEC. ACC lies somewhere between the SEC and B10 in terms of style and team build, but the depth of the league isn't as deep as the aforementioned conferences.

I don't think talent boils down to strength an speed either. It definitely helps. Technique and instincts go a long way. Devin Bush was as fast/fsster or strong/stronger than any SEC linebacker during his time at Michigan. But that doesn't mean he was better than a MLB at LSU or Arkansas. What really separates Alabama and Miami is really Nick Saban. Miami is as talented as any team in the country. They're just raw; it's been like this for a long time. I can make the same argument for FSU. I've see teams full of B & C players beat teams full of A & B players; IE Cincinnati beating Notre Dame. On paper, Bama is 50 points better than Cincinnati. I bet it'll be closer than 50. 42-21 seems realistic here.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well IMO. No teams said 2 be the top 4 teams in the nation should get beat by 20 dang points. If so than one of those teams shouldn't be in there

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think whichever team landed in the 4th spot was going to be a 20+ point underdog to the#1 seed in a playoff game this year. It was just a matter of which team earned the spot. I am intrigued by the 2 vs 3 game. Michigan doesn’t have the air firepower to take advantage of Georgia’s back end and score a bunch, but they have the defense to keep Georgia’s so so offense in check. I won’t be picking them, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with the Georgia/Michigan game. I think a few other teams would be better against Bama then Cincinnati. JMO