1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Canada News/Thursday

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Animus, Nov 1, 2022.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020

I'm not buying this news myself, and unsure how Thursday makes any more sense than say today or yesterday, but here we are.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Just speculation on the day it could happen, if it were to happen.

If Biden were to step down as president, I feel it could also happen on a Thursday.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    What a ridiculous statement. Not claiming that anything is going to happen, but if it does, it will be Thursday. So when Canada isn't fired on thursday, this idiot is still right lol

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Fair enough... I tend to think they'll pull his play-calling responsibilities and give them to Sulliven, and nobody on the outside even has a clue it happened until after the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    That's what I'm thinking.

6. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I would prefer that if Biden steps down and we have a choice as to what day he steps down, that it would be YESTERDAY!!!

RobertoC#21
    This message by RobertoC#21 has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Oh boy look what I started. Lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
  9. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe we could try to stick to FOOTBALL.....anyway, I will be the happiest person on the planet if Canada is let go on Thursday - or any day for that matter.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    IMO, Canada Dry will be gone at seasons end. Even if they replaced him now not much will change for this season. Although some might say that getting rid of him now would be a smart move so new guy can get accustomed with the organization for next season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I want Canada shown the door as much as anyone but what if Sullivan says he doesn't want the job and to just stay as the QB's coach? Maybe that's in play.

It's a friggin mess for sure. To late to bring in someone? I feel they wait it out and can him at the end of the season at this point unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. waywardson

waywardson Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    Please, please, please!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Players are eluding to that he sucks , former players saying he is crap, pundits talking about how bad he is plus add in the rumors of trouble in the locker room ... The Team may just shoot a hostage ? He should have been gone weeks ago...

Our Offense is so bad we should take 5 plays from our scout Team Offenses from each game and make that the new playbook until we can hire a real OC ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Are they actually off for 3 days?

15. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Who is best OC available if a change is made?

16. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course they are. It doesn't take long to study the 10 plays that's in the playbook

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    This is from Ron Cook of the PPG. I think he sums up Canada very well.
    It is easy and appropriate to put much of the blame on Matt Canada and scream for him to be replaced as play caller. He joined the Steelers with no NFL experience and has failed in his 1 ½ seasons as offensive coordinator with four different quarterbacks, from Hall of Famer-to-be Roethlisberger to raw rookie Pickett, with journeymen Mason Rudolph and Mitch Trubisky in between. The Steelers haven’t scored more than 20 points in 17 of their 26 games with him as play caller. Quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan, who has NFL experience as a coordinator, can’t possibly be worse.

“Something’s got to change,” Pickett said of the offense in general, not necessarily of Canada in particular. “It’s insane to keep doing the same thing over and over and expect something different. We’ve been having these problems all year. That has to get changed. That has to get fixed.”

He also mention Tomlin. I think he's spot on with this analysis.

But the Steelers’ problems go above and beyond Canada.

They start at the top with Tomlin.

For the first time in his 15 ½ seasons, I’m wondering if Tomlin is capable of making things right.

No less than Bill Cowher criticized Tomlin for the way he has handled Pickett.

Tomlin’s original plan was to go with Trubisky and allow Pickett to learn the NFL game by watching. But Tomlin surprisingly changed his mind at halftime of the game against the New York Jets on Oct. 2 and benched Trubisky for Pickett. The results have not been good. Pickett has attempted 165 passes — a ridiculously high number — and thrown for two touchdowns and eight interceptions in that half against the Jets and in his subsequent four starts. His passer rating is 66.8. He played his worst game against the Eagles and took a beating in the process. He was sacked six times and hit 11 other times.

He puts the blame pretty much where it belongs. Square on Tomlin's shoulders. If Matt Canada remains the Steelers OC after the bye then Tomlin is at fault. This whole mess is just disastrous. Last night an injury depleted Browns team beat the Bengals. How did that happen? Am I to believe that the Browns coaching staff is that good? I have no answers. I wish I did. But this season is a disaster and looks to not getting any better. Pickett is a turnover machine.

As you can see Pickett's passer rating is 66.8. That's not getting it done. So I guess the madness continues on a dysfunctional team. Sad.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Why would it happen on Thursday? The team practices today and tomorrow, right? Why wait? If you’re going to make a change, make it… There’s no benefit to putting it off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm sure someone will correct me here if I'm wrong but league rules say on a bye week they must have 3 days off with no football. So the typical Wednesday presser is moved back and Thursday would be the 1st day football related business can happen. I can't think that 3 days of soul searching would change anything about Canada getting canned so I read it as no change will be made.

• Like Like x 2
  20. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    During an appearance on 93.7 The Fan, Steelers' insider Jeff Hathorn theorized that the firing of Canada wouldn't happen until Thursday of this week. At that point, all players have left the building and there is no more media access for the remainder of the week.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Half a dozen people on here THINK they are.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I am puzzled on the "Thursday" thing too... they usually happen first thing Monday or early Tuesday is there is a conversation.
    I don't think I've ever seen one on a Thursday... unless it was like an all-out disagreement.

23. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    As much as I don't like Canada (I think he was under qualified to start with and show's he doesn't belong in the NFL every week)...there is not a firing or one specific change that's going to change this teams overall trajectory. Do I think someone else should call plays? Yes. Will the offensive play menu change mid-season? No.

If you want some good perspective on what this team is going through I'd give a listen to the Arthur Moates podcast. He's able to articulate from a player point of view where a lot of the issues stem from. Yes you can put some of the deficiencies on coaching etc...and he admits Canada is likely in over his head. it's convenient and easy to just point to a coach as a problem rather than uncover the nuanced and harder to identify issues to correct. Fans don't have the insight to truly get to the crux of a problem at the professional level.

But the point most recently that he made is that the games would unfold differently if the players were more buttoned up and accountable to themselves (regardless of offensive/defensive scheme) - pre snap penalties, not being on the same page with each other etc. Yes, you can say some of this falls on coaching...but there is only so much a coach can do to get a player to study, communicate, etc. The point Moates makes is these players are professionals. At this level it is not the coaches job to tell you...or make sure your studying...or having group study (what Pickett mentioned in his presser) and communicating with your position groups and to your Offensive or defensive teammates so you're all seeing the same things. The best they can do is at some point hit their pockets...but with a young team it's likely less about want to and more about still developing as a professional. He goes on that at this level everyone is big/fast/strong. What creates wins and losses is how professionally committed players are to studying, understanding, and sharing that learned info each week among their piers. That is literally your job as a professional football player. Like any other job...you have those who are 100% committed and those who are just there to get a pay check...and all variations in between.

In the end, what his player eye is seeing is more communication and detail issues than scheme (again..noting the O play calling isn't great). These gaffs are creating more challenging field position issues, down and distance issues, and lack of eye discipline which is resulting in limited opportunities to find consistent success on either side of the ball. Couple that with the fact that we are limited in talent and experience at key positions to overcome challenges...then you get what we've been watching.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I don’t put any credence into anything Fillipponi says

• Like Like x 1
  25. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

I agree a lot.
    Firing Canada will not solve anything this season other than - Accountability. He failed.
    The offense is still not going to run the rock any better.
    The play calls may change, and they may reduce the pressure on Kenny, but it is the same players.

Aurthur is a good guy, I like him a lot. I also like Ron Cook.
    I am always careful about blaming the coaches too much and do not subscribe to the torches and lynching mobs.
    But I am also not an apologist.

My list of Tomlin shortcomings goes like:
    - He is loyal to his staff, too loyal.
    - I like the idea of promoting from within, but you have to have new faces and new ideas.
    - Some thought Canada might be worth a risk but it is now apparent that he's in over his head. You have to be able to admit a fail.
    - As someone pointed out, you can increase your staff. Ariens came to Tampa, he had a staff almost as large as the roster (it's a joke) because he needs to implement change. That's not a bad idea.

The players do police themselves. I remember Green and Lambert setting a young hotshot straight.
    There's absolutely some onus on the players.