1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Can we at least try some new FA OLs?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ThrowToHeath, Oct 3, 2021.

1. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Sure, bench Ben. But can we at least kick the tires on some new FA offensive linemen? I don't see upside in any of the people we have starting. If these are the best options available, someone in the front office done goofed. I know they done goofed with bringing Ben back this year too, but like....what do they see in these linemen and why aren't they being punished with replacement?

2. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Benching the current people isn't even in the mainstream discussion! Like come on. Remember the year we had to yoink Flozel Adams and Max Starks off the couch the same week because our tackles sucked? Can we at least attempt to think about doing something like that?

• Like Like x 1
  3. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Is there anyone out there worth signing?

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No

Or they would be signed. The OP isn’t well thought out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Lineman in rounds 1 and 2 would have helped.
    That being said, I’m hoping they go 1-16….the rebuild benefits the most from that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. YinzerBuckeye

Aug 20, 2015
    I figured as much.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    So, you are saying taking the 6th and 15th best linemen would have been better than taking the best RB and best TE?

:facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Speaking of yanking people off the couch ... Was Pouncey or DeCastro watching the game? They can't feel good watching their guy get pummeled week in and week out. Ben is goin to get knocked out like Piston Honda before too long.

These guys both retired probably 2-3 years too early.

One of them can't help #7 out?

9. YinzerBuckeye

Aug 20, 2015
    DeCastro's ankle is shot. He can't play.

You're not going to get much from Pouncey.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The worst those guys did last year was not move the pile, they weren't getting their qb killed .. that is half the battle.

Steelers need to find away to stop the bleeding.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If you go on twitter fans can't shut up about the Steelers needing to sign Mitchell Schwartz, and Russell Okung. Schwartz is still recovering from back surgery, Okung is 33 years old, I doubt he would be an upgrade over the current guys.

12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    actually yes since a RB and TE are a luxury when you’re rebuilding an offensive line. Both the 6th and 15th best lineman are light years ahead of what they have.

especially the Harris pick. I like him but most midround picks can get a 1,000 yards behind a good OLine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    How is this working out JEH

Friermuth is a real game changer.

Najee hasn’t sniffed 100 yards.

try again pops

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’d dumb it down for you and explain it but I’m to tired to get that low on the thinking scale. So, stick with your solitary thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Classic JEH comeback when he has nothing intelligent to say. Now I know the infatuation with TOMLIN. Similar thinking patterns.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m sure you are trying your best. That is all we can ask.

17. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Let the rookies play. Don't screw with it by bringing in stop gaps. Especially not for a QB who can no longer play.

Maybe we'll get lucky and someone will step on Ben's ankle.

18. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Maybe we can call up the Browns to see where they picked up the replacement OL that kicked our D’s butts in the playoff last year

• Like Like x 1
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Decastro isn't retired unless I missed that presser. He is currently unsigned as he opts for surgery and a legenthy recovery. Pouncey given his steep decline in the last two years retired two years too late and doubtful he could hold up at guard and while we are at it No AV is not an option as big a turnstile as he is in Baltimore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Some of these guys may be good. An O line more than any other group needs time to Gel. WE have one player that played with this group last year. The rest are new and two are rookies with a new line coach in a new offense for all but one of them. Not saying they have played good but they did play better in this last game. They could also all end up sucking and be out of the league in a few years also, who knows. What we do know universally about line men is they need time to gel. Hell these guys didn't even get to play with there Starting QB hardly at all and he didn't practice much either with them. Give them some time it may start to be ok.

• Like Like x 1
  21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    So a game plan that includes a run from shotgun another run from. Shotgun and a telegraphed swing pass to the running back with 4 wr's in formation is a run game based around a solid running back? I don't like the Browns at all but you give Stefanski or the Ravens OC a back like Harris and they will pound the defense into submission. Harris will continue to be wasted as long as Ben can't get his hands under Green's butt take the ball and move backwards 5 steps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    The offensive play calling and game plan is terrible and Ben is washed. Still doesn’t change the fact that this line sucks and should have been the focus of this last draft. Getting 3rd and 4th rounders gets you 3rd and 4th round talent.

23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The play calling was fine in the GB game, Ben just didn't make the throws!

WR's were open and he had time to throw, Ben didn't get it to them. The 4th down play is a clear example. Had the defense beaten and threw to the one guy that didn't have a chance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Please, no more dead money pushed into 2022. Let this season play out and take your lumps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Drafting 1st and 2nd round offensive linemen who may not be 1st and second rounders just to say you addressed the position of need in the draft is a bad strategy. Thankfully we have a 4 game sample size which Center Guard or possibly Tackle taken outside the top 15 would have been a better investment? Other teams not named Pittsburgh have taken guys moving furniture or working construction and put them on the field and had them succeed so why the Steelers can't or wont seems a bigger problem than when they address which position in the draft.