1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Can the steelers fire Mike Tomlin?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Emperor Lebaeu, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Emperor Lebaeu

Emperor Lebaeu Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2013
    I understand they signed him to a 3 year contract. But they can still fire him, right?

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep, of course they can.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I do not see why not.

If anything, if they so choose, they could fire Mike Tomlin immediately.

Now as to why they would will remain to be seen.

4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    They 'can' fire him despite his contract status, but they will have to pay him for whatever time he has left on it.

Though the wisdom of firing him is debatable. It's not like this years Early season loss to a bad team is any worse than last yrs or the one the year before that. Tomlin survived those losses, I'll bet he survives this one too.

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes they could .but no they wont . Coach T is a players Coach and it seems he doesn't like to micro manage much . IMO he needs some head strong Coordinators . Guys who can run their respective units and not take any crap from the players about it .

It seems as though Haley has bowed to the will of his QB and star WR and RB for the most part . As we change QB'S a new OC might be the best way to go. I like Haley and I know he knows more about schemes than what we see . The style of Tomlin doesn't mesh with letting the players make so many decisions.

IMO we are border line of letting the Inmates run the asylum. Warden Tomlin a inmates Coach needs non Inmate first Coaches to make the balance work.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

Intriguing analogy.

Not that I agree with your overall assessment but very intriguing indeed.

7. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    They can always fire him, but they'd have to pay him what the contract says - it's not like players' contracts. And it's a pipe dream.

8. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Just out of curiosity, who would you replace him with?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Make Haley the head coach, lol. This board would go off the deep end.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    So far with Tomlin as head coach we've been 5 time AFCN champions, 2 time AFC champions and won a Super Bowl. We also have a win loss record other teams can only dream of.

I'm just saying.................

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    They can, but why would they? He has his faults, but so does every other coach. We as passionate fans, multiply those faults, but if we followed other teams as closely, we'd have a whole new laundry list of complaints for those coaches. I think the coordinators could use a swift kick in the ass more than the HC. And yes, I know the HC is responsible for the OC/DC's game plans and what not, but you gotta trust those on your staff, otherwise why even have them on staff.
    Tomlin ain't going anywhere so get over it. One loss to a **** team every now and again, as maddening as it is, isn't going to sway the FO to look for change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes.. Would they? No . Should they? No.. Decisive timesl

13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Would have loved Coach T to be mic in the loss against the Bears.. So much sh it to go around.. Dude would have hung it on everyone and rightfully so. Tourettes anyone ? lol

14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought that when "The Wiz" got fired from the cardinals that he wouldve been brought back as the OC or asst coach again.Lebeau, let go and promoted butler. Butler was a good linebacker coach but is not a good DC. Speaking of linebackers...we had two shots at bringing in K.Greene but did not...bad move. We let darren perry leave as db coach and had aseveral chances at Rod Woodson but passed on him. This is All on Tomlin. His inability to evaluate talent of coordinators are equal to his evaluation of db players. We have to upgrade our scouting team as well

15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Dom Capers!

16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm am not against Tomlin but that Super Bowl he won was with players from Cowher. I also take great pride that the Steelers have had only 3 Coaches since 1969 I believe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Firing Coach T would be like getting that T/O and not being able to capitalize (Replacement ?) When Coach Noll > Cowher's arsenal emptied accept the few that Mr. T towed behind him which gave him a shot in the arm into the latter days to present which has withered . By Hiring a another coach IMO you'd see very little change with this mostly an adolescent team. It's the staff steering the O / D needs to grab these potential talented players by the horns and shape,hammer,mold them into a feared winning football team that we were so once accustom to.

Steelers have the tools just implement their purposes.

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    It's the H/Cs responsibility to hire and fire his assistant coaches if they arent performing, allowing them to waste a season under his watch is just incompetence on his part and reflects badly on his judgement as the only one who is in charge and ultimately the one responsible for their continuing lack of improvement...........

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I have always liked the players that Green Bay brings in for their secondary come draft time. Micah Hyde (now gone), Damarius Randall, Clinton-Dix, Josh Jones, Quinten Rollins, but they seem to always be sub par in pass defense. Can't get by that incongruity. I probably suck at talent evaluation, but come on, I DO have the internet, I'm the greatest GM that ever lived, right?

Seriously though, I'd take Joe Woods from Denver if I could as a DC and leave Tomlin as HC.

edit:
    Rankings in YPG
    2017 7th
    2016 31st
    2015 6th
    2014 10th
    2013 24th
    2012 11th

so not as bad as I thought lol, carry on please......

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  20. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    People in this country would burn Pittsburgh to the ground if they fired Mike Tomlin.....THAT is why it won't happen, not anytime soon with everything going on!

21. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Coach T has been tied to Ben's career with the ups and downs that go with it. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Ben's departure.

22. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Yep... if you think last weeks protest debacle was bad I can assure you the team results would fail big time in comparison over the span of many weeks.