1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Can the Broncos' defense contain the Steelers' passing attac

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by edog55, Jan 8, 2012.

1. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Can the Broncos' defense contain the Steelers' passing attack? "RUN THE FOOTBALL AND PROTECT BEN"

Article By Pat Kirwan: This is what he had to say

The Steelers have become a pass-first team on offense, as Roethlisberger has continued to develop into one of the premier passers in the game. He has the luxury of throwing to one of the fastest groups of wideouts in the game today, making Pittsburgh a dangerous vertical threat. Roethlisberger averages 37 pass attempts per game this year (40 per game on the road); running back Rashard Mendenhall is out with a knee injury, so we can expect at least 40 throws on Sunday.

After Mendenhall went down last week, Redman came in ran 22 times for 110 total yards. He appears to be a better receiver than Mendenhall, which makes the Steelers even more likely to air it out in this game.

After a solid start, the Broncos' run defense has really struggled over the last six weeks, surrendering 880 yards on the ground (147 yards per game). If the Steelers are disciplined enough to take advantage of this situation, they have the edge.

Here is what I think (edog).

Now, what does that last sentance tell you? YOU RUN THE FOOTBALL AND PROTECT BEN!!

After the Texans win against the Bengals yesterday, it becomes highly important for the Steelers to protect Ben and keep him healthy for the game against the PATS. When the Steelers get a lead, take him out Tomlin and put Charlie Batch into the game and rest Ben. So what should the Steelers game plan be, RUN THE FOOTBALL. After reading the stats on the Broncos run defensive struggles, Da!!

What do you think Bruce Arians game plan will be? My guess is that he will allow Ben to throw the ball all over the yard and stay in the game until the last snap...................

2. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Re: Can the Broncos' defense contain the Steelers' passing a

What has that guy been smoking?

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I think Ben is in the top 5 elite passing QBS in the league

4. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Give Ben a half descent line to work behind and with him healthy he can pick apart D's like the rest of them.

5. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

He still id not as good at deciphering a defense quickly like the top QB (guys who are really good at getting the ball out quickly). There is no doubt that Brees, Rodgers, Brady are all top guys and they get the ball out very fast, especially when needed. They are comfortable in the pock and step up into it vice always breaking out. I will say that Stafford has definitely moved up into a great passer. His line is not all that great but he gets the ball out fast. Manning is not in the picture this year. So I guess Ben would be top five this year, but mostly based on his body of work, not what he has done this year. I left out Newton this year -- what he did on that pathetic team was amazing.

6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Ben makes his line look worse than it is (although it is pretty bad) and Rodgers and Brees make their lines look better than they are. GB actually has a pretty bad Oline as well, but Rodgers makes adjustments to ensure he gets the ball out quick.

Ben has never picked apart D's, no matter how much time he has back there. He's not good at getting the ball out quick.

7. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011

The strategist in me says that I hope that they lean on the run a bit more given the Broncos' lack of ability to stop the run. However, the realist in me knows who this team is now - I expect them to come out passing.

On another note - Kirwan needs to do a bit of fact checking. Redman certainly did not have 22 carries for 110 yards last week - not sure where that stat even came from.

8. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Redman did have 22 touches last week (19 carries, 3 catches) for 110 yards (92 rushing, 18 receiving)

9. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011

But Kirwan said "ran 22 times for 110 yards" - incorrect statement. If you're a journalist, you need to fact-check.

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

I agree edog, I would love us turn into a run heavy offense in the playoffs. Ben is too banged up.